PDA

View Full Version : Relative weights of different strings?

steve728
09-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Does anyone know what the relative weights of different string types are? For the same gauge in the same racquet. Like, "average syn gut in 17g is the lightest; average multi in 17g will add "x" amount of grams; average poly will add "x" amount of grams; and average NG will add "x" amount of grams".

Reason I'm asking is I have 2 K90 that both weigh spec 12.0 oz unstrung. Both have overgrips. The one with syn gut (Gosen OG micro 17) is 12.55 oz. But the one with multi (X-1 Biphase 17) is 12.75 oz. Is this normal?? ... Hmm...it had been really humid here a couple weeks ago.

corners
09-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Does anyone know what the relative weights of different string types are? For the same gauge in the same racquet. Like, "average syn gut in 17g is the lightest; average multi in 17g will add "x" amount of grams; average poly will add "x" amount of grams; and average NG will add "x" amount of grams".

Reason I'm asking is I have 2 K90 that both weigh spec 12.0 oz unstrung. Both have overgrips. The one with syn gut (Gosen OG micro 17) is 12.55 oz. But the one with multi (X-1 Biphase 17) is 12.75 oz. Is this normal?? ... Hmm...it had been really humid here a couple weeks ago.

No, I don't think it's normal. your Biphase is really, strangely, heavy.

The best place to go looking for string weights, generally, is in the playtest reports by USRSA. Some of them are free, just go to their website and find the playtest section. The list how weight each stringjob adds to their PS95.

X-one biphase 17 they weighed at 13 grams. I've weighed Gosen 18 in a K90 and it came to 11 grams. So I would guess that Gosen 17 is about 12 grams.

Your two frames differ by .20 ounces which is 5.67 grams. So something is screwy. You mentioned humidity. X-One is a nylon/polyurethane string. Polyurethane is wierd stuff: it's waterproof in some applications, but also hydrophilic, which means it likes to absorb water. But 4.67 grams is a lot; I don't think it's the water. Maybe check the scale you're using. Sorry, no better explanation than that.

And, the general rule for string weights by material, from heaviest to lightest:

Kevlar > Polyester > Gut > Copoly > Syngut > Multi

My experience is that going up or down a full gauge in a 90 sq. inch frame is a difference of ~ 1 gram.

steve728
09-08-2009, 09:09 AM
And, the general rule for string weights by material, from heaviest to lightest:

Kevlar > Polyester > Gut > Copoly > Syngut > Multi

My experience is that going up or down a full gauge in a 90 sq. inch frame is a difference of ~ 1 gram.

Thanks, corners. This is really helpful and what I was looking for.

I'm going back to square one here. I took out the x-1 biphase. Now the racquet is 2 grams over spec. (I don't know how it gained weight. I'm using a different scale but the same brand and model.) This may explain a little bit of the variance. But now I'm wondering if a racquet gaining weight is normal --- like sweat and moisture in the leather grip. When I cut out the strings in my other K90, I will reweigh that one too.