PDA

View Full Version : Why did X-One Biphase play so horribly?

Trickster
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Tried some X-One biphase today strung at 58lbs on a constant pull machine. I have heard so many great things about this string, but it really disappointed me.

It was comfortable and there was some power, but I couldn't generate any spin or get any control on the ball. I just had no confidence taking cuts at the ball with this string.

I have mainly been using poly/nylon hybrids (spikey shark/gosen micro sheep 17) but had a few issues with my arm, so wanted something more comfortable.

Anyway is it worth pursuing this string? Do you think it would respond better under high tensions? Maybe 63/64?

Chris De Tone
09-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I didn't care for X-1 either...NRG2 is better and a little cheaper. I love Tecnifibre, but X-1 is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Aces09
09-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Get some natural gut. Even if you just put it in the crosses as a hybrid, nothing beats the feel of gut.

film1
09-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Tried some X-One biphase today strung at 58lbs on a constant pull machine. I have heard so many great things about this string, but it really disappointed me.

It was comfortable and there was some power, but I couldn't generate any spin or get any control on the ball. I just had no confidence taking cuts at the ball with this string.

I have mainly been using poly/nylon hybrids (spikey shark/gosen micro sheep 17) but had a few issues with my arm, so wanted something more comfortable.

Anyway is it worth pursuing this string? Do you think it would respond better under high tensions? Maybe 63/64?

I like x-one but I do string it a little tight which can negate some of the comfort you need.
Have you tried going full micro sheep 17? It's a great string and very comfortable.
If it cost five times as much a lot of people would think it's one of the best strings out there.
To compare strings it's best to use a ball machine and the same frames and try them back to back and I have tested quite a few strings.
It's comfortable as well.

Marketing is key in tennis, look at all the people who swarm to buy the new frames their favorite player changes to when he did not even use the last two they bought just because they thought he used them.

OG 17 rocks and a reel is about 35.00 but put price aside, the more I compare apples and apples the better it gets.

Spatula
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
It's best applicaiton (X-1) is in a hybrid with a poly/co-poly IMO. For a full job it's simply going to give you comfort and a bit of power.

Nellie
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
maybe you don't like a softer multifilliment string.

Valjean
09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Tried some X-One biphase today strung at 58lbs on a constant pull machine....

Anyway is it worth pursuing this string?....
*This string must settle in first.* What's more, there is an adjustment for you moving out of poly into something comfortable for the first time. Give yourself some more time with the string.

Aces09
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
i hated x-1 biphase the first time i hit with it, but then I got sick and didn't play for 3 days. Next time I hit the court, I was greeted with a soft pocketing feel, but not too much pop for a multi. I don't like it more than my usual natural gut, but it's an okay option

Fedace
09-03-2009, 03:38 PM

Ok i will explain,,, it is odd but X-1 biphase performs much better at slightly higher tensions around 61-64 lbs. At that range you get a crisper controlled power shots than at lower tension where control is a issue with this string.

but with NRG-2, opposite is true, with that string it performs better at 56-60 lbs range where you get a nice pocketted controlled shot with decent power.

Eiffel59
09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
This one should win the "Statement based on nothing" prize of the year...some great tech help from Fed*** as usual..NO! As explained in another thread, from 2006 the X-1 and NRG2 are EXACTLY the same string, bar the biphasic process. So same tension range etc...the only obvious thing, you need just a little "set-in" time with the X-1. Since the thickness of the biphasic process on the surface of the "base" (i.e. the NRG2 base) is always the same, it will influence the three gauges in a slightly different way...the thinner being a little more stiffer at start and needing a little more break-in time and the thicker vice-versa...

Hope this helps

Mdubb23
09-04-2009, 03:24 AM
This one should win the "Statement based on nothing" prize of the year...some great tech help from Fed*** as usual..NO! As explained in another thread, from 2006 the X-1 and NRG2 are EXACTLY the same string, bar the biphasic process. So same tension range etc...the only obvious thing, you need just a little "set-in" time with the X-1. Since the thickness of the biphasic process on the surface of the "base" (i.e. the NRG2 base) is always the same, it will influence the three gauges in a slightly different way...the thinner being a little more stiffer at start and needing a little more break-in time and the thicker vice-versa...

Hope this helps

Two things: first, you are absolutely 100% correct. But, try not to take your knowledge and use it to put down others. We all know Fedace does not always say the most reliable things, but what he put forth was his opinion, and there's no need to bash him for that. You can correct him without being rude.

adams_1
09-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Two things: first, you are absolutely 100% correct. But, try not to take your knowledge and use it to put down others. We all know Fedace does not always say the most reliable things, but what he put forth was his opinion, and there's no need to bash him for that. You can correct him without being rude.

But... it's Fedace.

tennisstrngdude
09-04-2009, 03:49 AM
Biphase not what you are looking for. Try some of the new Babolat N.VY

Fedace
09-04-2009, 04:37 AM

Hope this helps

LMAO,,, you just confirmed what i said. though you can't comprehend it. Yes X-1 definitely performs better at higher tensions and yes it is all related to the fact that it does need some settle in time especially in the beginning. This is less so with thinner gages.
NRG2 performs well right off the bat. and it pockets the ball much better at slightly lower tension such as 56-59 lbs. All based on playtests.

SpinDog
09-04-2009, 06:04 AM

I agree completely. X-1 IMO had lousy control although I probably should have tried it at higher tension. I had 58 pounds on my PD GT but probably should have pushed it up to 62. I may give that a try at some point.

FedforOne
09-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Is it possible to cut out just Crosses? i had x one biphase strung but does not play as good as expected, so i was wondering if they could be replaced or vice versa. it looks like its possible b/c there are 4 tie offs

Eiffel59
09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
LMAO,,, you just confirmed what i said. though you can't comprehend it. Yes X-1 definitely performs better at higher tensions and yes it is all related to the fact that it does need some settle in time especially in the beginning. This is less so with thinner gages.
NRG2 performs well right off the bat. and it pockets the ball much better at slightly lower tension such as 56-59 lbs. All based on playtests.

Again, no and no. And i'm not the person that do not comprehend...there is absolutely no relationship between string tension and behavior. That is, it takes the same time (it has been tested in lab) to set in a biphasic string regardless of the tension, so what you state <i.e. the X-ONE works better at higher tension and NRG2 at lower> is, simply put, NOT TRUE.

And yes, Mdubb, i can TRY to be less rude...if only Fed
accept to do use that little "IM(h)O" expression that is so useful when you are, correctly, "expressing your opinion"...instead of giving away statement with that "I speaketh the truth" behavior. I've asked him 1000s times to do so, but to date at no avail...

Supracool94
09-05-2009, 05:28 AM
One of my frames has X-1 with MSV Hex crosses and it feels great. Try using X-1 with spin type poly and you will not be disappointed!