PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Club Tennis

The Wreck
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm a freshman at UGA, and had been looking forward to Club Tennis ever since I found out it existed several months ago. But apparently I had some misconceptions about it, and I was wondering what other's experiences have been like.

The competitive aspect of club tennis is what drew me to it initially, but I was shocked to find out that there were tryouts and cuts just to get on the team. I was under the impression that anyone who wanted to join could do so, and then the best out of all those would be the ones who traveled to tournaments and what not. I figured that even if I didn't make the "team" I could still practice every week and get to play with others who are on my level and hopefully get better. If you ask me, that seems like what a sports club should be like.

I went to tryouts anyway, and was just a bit put off by the way it was run. They put about 8 people on a court and just told us to rotate in and out and hit for a while. We did so for a solid hour, and in that time, they would come and "observe" us for a few minutes. Literally, a few minutes. I think they saw me have about two rallies and then they left again. I hit the ball fine during the minute they watched, but honestly, anyone can have a couple bad points in an hour time span, and it would be a terrible representation of who they really are as a player (an vice versa).

They then placed us into groups to alternate playing doubles tiebreakers. Again, I can hardly think of a worse way to see how well someone can play. I think they may have watched one tie breaker I played, in which I got to hit 2 balls the entire time. When I would look over at the team "captain", he would just be standing there with his clipboard, laughing and talking with others already on the team, hardly paying attention to anything going on around them.

Anyway, I didn't get make the team, which apparently only had a couple spots even available (and 40 or so trying out). I'm not here to complain about that, because while I know I'm a capable tennis player, I obviously didn't do enough to make an impression. I was on the same level as, and had played competitively with several of the kids there in high school and tournaments. There were other players there who I thought were just as good who got cut too.

I just don't understand how they could fairly gauge the skill level of everyone there in the manner that they conducted tryouts, and I'm a bit upset that they even had tryouts to begin with. Clubs like that shouldn't be exclusive, especially when you have such a large contingent of tennis players. I, and several others, now have no organized outlet to play tennis, as intramural, on top of being a complete joke, has already started their league. It just kinda sucks.

Just wondering what other's club tennis experiences have been like?

Fedace
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Great for Meeting cute chicks.

NickH87
09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
What you should do is go to who ever runs club sports and see if you guys can put together a recreation tennis club rather that the team club that is running right now. This was you guys will have an organized club that caters to tennis players who arent on the club team, but will still get many chances to play. See if you can get together a list of those players trying out for the club team and have them sign a petition like document and if the director of club sports sees the amount of activity it will draw, I dont see why they wont do something about it.

randomname
09-03-2009, 11:36 AM
thats a very poorly run club team and it sounds like the "captain" is just too lazy to want to deal with actually running a club. Your best option is to find as many other people as you can who feel the same way and form an actual club. It might be intimidating as a freshman but I'm sure there will be other people who know how to actually get the ball rolling willing to help out.

OroDeSantoro
09-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I played club at a big SEC school also. It wasn't run like that most likely because there were far less people interested in joining. Anyone that wanted to join could join, but that didn't guarantee you'd be able to travel. 30 or so people paid $40 a semester basically for the right to practice with the club team. All of that money went toward paying for the top 16 (8 boys/8 girls) to travel around to different SEC schools. The rankings operated on a ladder system, so anyone could be among the people that traveled.

...There was a recreation league though that was made up of people that were 3.5-4.0 and below.

Joeyg
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Great for meeting cute chicks?? Another in a very long line of completely moronic posts.

The Wreck
09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I played club at a big SEC school also. It wasn't run like that most likely because there were far less people interested in joining. Anyone that wanted to join could join, but that didn't guarantee you'd be able to travel. 30 or so people paid $40 a semester basically for the right to practice with the club team. All of that money went toward paying for the top 16 (8 boys/8 girls) to travel around to different SEC schools. The rankings operated on a ladder system, so anyone could be among the people that traveled.

...There was a recreation league though that was made up of people that were 3.5-4.0 and below.

I honestly thought that's how the club would be, and should be. I'd gladly pay $40 to practice with the team and work for the chance to make it into the top 16. It just makes so much more sense to me to have a competitive challenge system that fostered tennis development.

Starting up the other league isn't a terrible idea, and I'll look into it. But still, about half of us that got "cut" from the club team are on the same level as the rest of the players. We just weren't benefited from the poor tryout format. Either way, I guess I'll find a way to play tennis. Thanks for the replies so far.

Toad
09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Anyone that wanted to join could join, but that didn't guarantee you'd be able to travel. 30 or so people paid $40 a semester basically for the right to practice with the club team. All of that money went toward paying for the top 16 (8 boys/8 girls) to travel around to different SEC schools. The rankings operated on a ladder system, so anyone could be among the people that traveled.

This is similar to how our team is run. The only time that everyone isn't allowed to practice is a couple months during the winter since indoor court time is expensive. Only the top 20 or so practice then.

paulnw
09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
At least your university has a club tennis team. I would love the opportunity to play on one. Unfortunately, nothing remotely similar exists at my school.
I wouldn't mind a practice squad composed of students who didn't make the cut for the actual team or maybe people who don't have enough time to commit towards playing on a regular basis.

NickH87
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
At least your university has a club tennis team. I would love the opportunity to play on one. Unfortunately, nothing remotely similar exists at my school.
I wouldn't mind a practice squad composed of students who didn't make the cut for the actual team or maybe people who don't have enough time to commit towards playing on a regular basis.

Why dont you do something about it then?

paulnw
09-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Why dont you do something about it then?

There's really not much I can do to bring club tennis/campus tennis to my school. Perhaps you can suggest something rather than leaving a comment like that.

!<-_->!
09-05-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm a freshman at UGA, and had been looking forward to Club Tennis ever since I found out it existed several months ago. But apparently I had some misconceptions about it, and I was wondering what other's experiences have been like.

The competitive aspect of club tennis is what drew me to it initially, but I was shocked to find out that there were tryouts and cuts just to get on the team. I was under the impression that anyone who wanted to join could do so, and then the best out of all those would be the ones who traveled to tournaments and what not. I figured that even if I didn't make the "team" I could still practice every week and get to play with others who are on my level and hopefully get better. If you ask me, that seems like what a sports club should be like.

I went to tryouts anyway, and was just a bit put off by the way it was run. They put about 8 people on a court and just told us to rotate in and out and hit for a while. We did so for a solid hour, and in that time, they would come and "observe" us for a few minutes. Literally, a few minutes. I think they saw me have about two rallies and then they left again. I hit the ball fine during the minute they watched, but honestly, anyone can have a couple bad points in an hour time span, and it would be a terrible representation of who they really are as a player (an vice versa).

They then placed us into groups to alternate playing doubles tiebreakers. Again, I can hardly think of a worse way to see how well someone can play. I think they may have watched one tie breaker I played, in which I got to hit 2 balls the entire time. When I would look over at the team "captain", he would just be standing there with his clipboard, laughing and talking with others already on the team, hardly paying attention to anything going on around them.

Anyway, I didn't get make the team, which apparently only had a couple spots even available (and 40 or so trying out). I'm not here to complain about that, because while I know I'm a capable tennis player, I obviously didn't do enough to make an impression. I was on the same level as, and had played competitively with several of the kids there in high school and tournaments. There were other players there who I thought were just as good who got cut too.

I just don't understand how they could fairly gauge the skill level of everyone there in the manner that they conducted tryouts, and I'm a bit upset that they even had tryouts to begin with. Clubs like that shouldn't be exclusive, especially when you have such a large contingent of tennis players. I, and several others, now have no organized outlet to play tennis, as intramural, on top of being a complete joke, has already started their league. It just kinda sucks.

Just wondering what other's club tennis experiences have been like?

That sounds like how the Club team is run at the school I go to. Huge turnout for the tryouts but it's pretty much a scam to make money. $20 per person just to enter the single elimination tournament. Thing is.. they pretty much already know who they want and rig the draws. Often times, they've already recruited people they want and they don't even have to show up for this "tryout." It's a very elitist/clique type of thing.

ClarkC
09-05-2009, 03:42 AM
How would a club, that already has more than 8 guys on it, accommodate another 40 guys? Even at Georgia, there are only so many courts available for a club practice.

The Wreck
09-05-2009, 09:31 AM
How would a club, that already has more than 8 guys on it, accommodate another 40 guys? Even at Georgia, there are only so many courts available for a club practice.

It's not like everyone would show up for every practice, especially if they had to pay money. It could easily be scheduled to work out.

And I also agree with the above comment that club teams seem very clique-ish. Makes me not really want to try out again in the spring...

NickH87
09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
There's really not much I can do to bring club tennis/campus tennis to my school. Perhaps you can suggest something rather than leaving a comment like that.

http://www.tennisoncampus.com/Resources.htm

We did it at my school last year. We barely have 5,000 students.

JSF1
09-17-2009, 07:49 AM
http://www.tennisoncampus.com/Resources.htm

We did it at my school last year. We barely have 5,000 students.

Is Club tennis in college a USTA sponsored activity? Is it different than intramural sports at schools?

Is it possible that you could form another club team at UGA?

Toad
09-17-2009, 10:24 AM
From my understanding of it, club tennis on a given university isn't necessarily sponsored by USTA, but Tennis On Campus is sponsored by the USTA in that they organize sectional and national tournaments each year. There are several other tournaments that other club teams organize, and many universities have matches against other universities.

For the sectional and some of the club organized tournaments, schools are sometimes allowed to enter more than one "team". Since club tennis at our school is so large, last year at sectionals we entered two teams from our club tennis team.

NickH87
09-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Mt club tennis is finally starting monday. We have practice mon-fri and different times in the morning.

2 beginner practices
2 advanced
1 for all

I can only make 2 1/2 of the practices and we face...

Worcester Polytechnic Institute ???? Never heard of them lol
Northeastern
UCONN
Brown
UMASS @ home

Should be fun, I hope I make the travel team.