PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a gut string for me

FH2FH
09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm recovering from shoulder issues and wanna try gut again. My only experience with it was in a poly hybrid and it was extremly powerful. The plan is to string tighter because of that.

I string my own, but by no means am a pro, so I'd like one that doesn't have a tendency to break/kink/etc while stringing. I also don't wanna pay $35/set if I don't have to.

Thanks!

PS: Also switching to an 18x20 pattern frame(s) to help with control and durability. Using kevlar/poly hybrid until now! My current frame(s) aren't very arm friendly, hence the string/stick change. Injury was due to technique I feel more than equipment (torn labrum).

meowmix
09-04-2009, 05:45 AM
The cheapest gut that's name brand and very reliable is Klip legend for 26 dollars a set.

Aces09
09-04-2009, 08:02 AM
If you're looking at gut, you've got to give Babolat VS a try. The 17 gauge is fantastic and the 16 gauge is great too, but i really prefer the 17. They also make a 15L version that you can try if durability is an issue.

todd03blown
09-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I have been using the global gut for a few weeks and I just don't like the way its been playing and breaking (I assume i just got a bad set) but with that said I use a K6.1 team 18x20 and pickup my new gut job of babolat VS!! I am getting strung at 63lbs and will be hitting with it tonight with my ball machine. I am pumped to get it and see how it plays.

Since I am not a string breaker it makes sense for me to splurge on VS since the string job will last me 3-4 months.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

FH2FH
09-04-2009, 08:21 AM
...job of babolat VS!! I am getting strung at 63lbs and will be hitting with it tonight with my ball machine. I am pumped to get it and see how it plays.

Give us a report after hitting. I've never heard of global gut, but I have heard cheaper gut (eg, Titan) tends to break.

Everyone seems to say good things about VS, but it be hard for me to justify $35 per stringjob. I will definitely use it as a hybrid for a while first. Thinking I might try Klip Legend first at $26/set before VS. Oh... the string I tried and found powerful was 15L Tonic. It was strung with 16 or 17g ALU Rough, which is powerful compared to what I'm used to.

Superman1272
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
I use Babloat Pro Hurricane 18g in the mains with Klip Legend 18g NG in the crosses. The Klip NG is not really that expensive when compared to other NG offerings. I prefer the smaller gauge strings for their feel and ability to generate spin. I am not a string breaker so a full string bed of NG would do me fine as far as durabilty goes... but do like the way these strings feel when "hybrid"-ed together.

The Hurricane in a very soft poly but it stiffens up the string bed enough to tame the power of the NG. I use this hybrid in my KPS88's (have changed sticks since the last update of my signature..) which has a 16 x 19 string pattern.

I play doulbes for the most part and S&V when I play singles so I look for a set-up that gives alot of feel to my strokes. I think this works well for me.

todd03blown
09-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Give us a report after hitting. I've never heard of global gut, but I have heard cheaper gut (eg, Titan) tends to break.

Everyone seems to say good things about VS, but it be hard for me to justify $35 per stringjob. I will definitely use it as a hybrid for a while first. Thinking I might try Klip Legend first at $26/set before VS. Oh... the string I tried and found powerful was 15L Tonic. It was strung with 16 or 17g ALU Rough, which is powerful compared to what I'm used to.

So far I have had 2 matches and 2 practice sessions (each 2.5hrs each) and I must say I love the VS gut. I got it strung with VS touch 16g. Amazing how different the babolat gut looks compared to the GG.

The VS feels so good, good power and control and nice topspin. I being lefty hit a lot of slice returns and they bite the court very nicely and stay low. My one handed backed has been very consistent. Looks like I will be using VS going forward. Curious on how long this string will last me before having to get it restrung?