PDA

View Full Version : New String

bryanalban
09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I play 3 times a week, rather seriously, but not in USTA leagues. I've always strung my racquet with the "standard" string my stringer uses - Babolat Synthetic Gut 17 - mainly cause it only costs $20 to get my stick restrung and I'm cheap.

I'm looking to start using a slightly better string, more feel, etc. Buy with all the strings out there it's difficult to make a choice. So I'm looking for a suggestion of strings that are better than what I'm using, but won't cost $50 for a restring.

Thanks

drakulie
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
buy a stringing machine, which will significantly cut the cost of re-stringing, time to drop off and pick up frame, gas, etc.

That said, Pro Supex Maxim Touch is an awesome string, and is only about 6-7 dollars a pack. Blows away or is on par with many of the synthetics on the market, including Premier, NXT, etc.

Valjean
09-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Slightly better, with more feel, eh? Try out Prince's new Synthetic Gut Multifilament to feel better...

bryanalban
09-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Don't think I'm into getting a stringing machine.

Not sure how much the Babolat Syth. Gut string cost and how much the labor cost, but it's $20 for a restring.

I guess I'd like a better string, and keep the cost of the whole job around $25-$30.

jim e
09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Cost is one factor, but the type of player you are is another.There are many different types of strings out there, and differences between the major types as well.Drak is correct, as if you started stringing, it would give you the opportunity to try many different strings at different tensions as well. The choices are many, as well as hybrid combinations. But the thing you 1st need to decide, is what you dis like of your strings now, and what you are looking for in a string at the price range you specified,as for under $35.00 you can get the best nat.gut for that if you string your own.If you are looking for more power, and not break the bank, a decent multifilament could work, or if you take a big swing at the ball and create your own power and have a good amount of spin with your shots, you may wish to consider a poly, providing you have no arm problems.Others like a combination of both the above. There are # of choices.So what a "better" string is for you maybe not so good for another. You have to look at more than what is a better string than what you are using for a few more $., rather what would be a better string to do something you don't like about what you now have, along with the type of hitter that you are. Like me, I am a relatively flat ball hitter, and not much of a stringbreaker, so nat. gut feels the best with the best power and comfort and since I am not your typical stringbreaker, nat. gut is the most logical choice.The power feel and comfort is like no other.(it helped that I also hit with a good % of what is out there as well, advantage of being a stringer).
You asked about Babolat syn. gut, that costs approx. $3.50/set or so, off the top of my mind, plus the labor to have it installed.A decent syn. gut, and starting to be a popular one amoung the older typical club player.Seems like many are liking it over the standard PSGD.

bsandy
09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't think I'm into getting a stringing machine.

Not sure how much the Babolat Syth. Gut string cost and how much the labor cost, but it's $20 for a restring.

I guess I'd like a better string, and keep the cost of the whole job around $25-$30.

If your stringer gets Babolat Synthetic Gut off a reel it costs him about $2 for the string.

. . . Bud

Karel
09-04-2009, 04:41 PM
The easiest and least expensive experiment would be to try a different tension, using the same string you've been using - if not tried already, plus shortening the interval between restringing. Perhaps, three or so extra pounds may give you the feel you're looking for.
If you trust your stringer, you may let him know what you look for in string and it's cost limits. He should be able to help you.