PDA

View Full Version : XCell Premium Vs Power

rscottdds
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Which one works better in a cross with a polly in the mains?
-Robert

dantesinferno18
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
premium is cheaper id go with that

ClubHoUno
09-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Which one works better in a cross with a polly in the mains?
-Robert

I tried both, and to me the Xcel Power was one of the better multi's I've tried - in fact in my personal Multi Top 3.

It had a more crisp feel, more towards Nat gut than the regular Xcel Premium had - and it had better tension stability.

Xcel Power is an overlooked really great multi string. People just think it's the Xcel premium with power.

Babolat should have called this string something else - like Xcel Ultimate, instead of Xcel Power.

As it is, people will automatically think the Xcel Premium is a better and more exclusive string, while they tink the Xcel Power just is a more ordinary multi string. If the Xcel Power had been called Xcel Ultimate, more would have bought and tested this great multi string in my view.

DonBot
09-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Power is better both as a full bed and in a hybrid. It breaks fast even in 16g though. I think the old premium was great but the new version is super mushy.

rscottdds
09-05-2009, 10:59 AM
premium is cheaper id go with that

Yeah, that's kinda my usual thinking on crosses but there is no cost difference as it is with a players package my son is getting. He can pick one or the other. It sounds like Power might be the way to go.
-Robert

Storm_Kyori
09-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Like Houno said, Xcel Power to me is a better overall mutli that Premium. My top multi string. I hybrid with it on my crosses whenever I can.

JackB1
10-29-2009, 07:33 AM
I tried both, and to me the Xcel Power was one of the better multi's I've tried - in fact in my personal Multi Top 3.

It had a more crisp feel, more towards Nat gut than the regular Xcel Premium had - and it had better tension stability.

Xcel Power is an overlooked really great multi string. People just think it's the Xcel premium with power.

Would the Premium be better for people with TE issues?

Valjean
10-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes, it is better for that.

JackB1
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Anyone else compare Xcel Power to Premium? They both have almost identical specs.

ClubHoUno
10-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Would the Premium be better for people with TE issues?

Probably - but I have suffered from TE for a looooong time and only 8 years off from tennis and discovering Babolat VS natty gut helped em into the game again.

Now I work out and is more fit and my arms are stronger - so I experiment a bit more now. Will never go away from VS natty gut in a hybrid or full job, but still find the Xcel Power in the crosses and Signum CoPoly Tornado 18 gauge in the mains is an awesome playing rain setup for me.

I mix between using X-One 1.24 and Xcel Power 1.25 in the crosses - both are crisp feeling for a multi, and they are pretty durable as a cross string.

The Xcel Premium will play softer than both the Xcel Power and X-One, but if you do it in a hybrid as a cross string, the Xcel Power WILL not give you TE, no chance :D

JackB1
10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
The Xcel Premium will play softer than both the Xcel Power and X-One, but if you do it in a hybrid as a cross string, the Xcel Power WILL not give you TE, no chance :D

So you always should use the soft multi in the crosses and maybe a poly blend in the mains?

If I try a hybrid setup with the Xcel in the crosses, what would u recommend for the mains?

Valjean
10-31-2009, 10:25 AM
If you have TE, then you shouldn't be fooling around with poly at all.

JackB1
10-31-2009, 12:10 PM

you are right. I was thinking crazy for a moment! :)

ClubHoUno
10-31-2009, 12:46 PM

You're right :)

But I would have to add, that some of the new 4.th generation CoPoly's are much softer feeling and playing than some of the older polys, which felt like a stiff board to me :oops:

I grew up playing with kevlar and cheap poly back in the 80's and 90's, and a combination of poor technique and harsh strings probably gave me TE in an early age.

Now with the likes of Signum Tornado, Signum Hyperion, Weisscannon TurboTwist and Prince Recoil (still don't know if this string is considered a harsh multi or a soft poly) - even though stiff compared to Multi and Natty gut, they feel MUCH better than the older polys I played with in the 90's.

I've played with a hybrid of VS nat gut and CoPolys the last year and my elbow is still in fine condition - probably also because I work out now and have better technique.

ClubHoUno
10-31-2009, 12:50 PM
So you always should use the soft multi in the crosses and maybe a poly blend in the mains?

If I try a hybrid setup with the Xcel in the crosses, what would u recommend for the mains?

It's still up to debate, but as the mains contribute spin and control and the crosses contribute comfort, feel & power (according to Babolat and Wilson) - you should try to place the softer string in the crosses in a hybrid.

It will also be more durabel in the long run, as the soft cross string won't saw through the harder main string as fast as if you had it the other way around.

I have the multi in the crosses in my wet weather setup, simply because the multi would be runied by the poly too fast if I had it the other way around and because I like the setup better with the Tornado in the mains and the X-one/Xcel power in the crosses.