PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a Midsize version of the Donnay Pro One?

BreakPoint
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I like the Donnay Pro One International MP 95, but I wish the head was a bit smaller to make it more maneuverable. Did Donnay ever make a version with a 90 sq. in. head (or a bit smaller or bigger) back in the 90's?

Thanks.

fuzz nation
09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Ever seen the Donnay Pro Cynetic 1's? Maybe not exactly what you mean, but these were my first graphite frames as a kid. Similar to the PS 6.0 85's and when I first tried out the TW edition of the Pro One, the old school vibe took me right back to these.

DrumWizOHBD
09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Yes, I have seen one on the Bay before. The Donnay Pro One came in Midsize, Supermidsize(i have one), and Oversize. I believe the midsize was a 90. I believe Ericsson posted something about this ???maybe:?

BreakPoint
09-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Ever seen the Donnay Pro Cynetic 1's? Maybe not exactly what you mean, but these were my first graphite frames as a kid. Similar to the PS 6.0 85's and when I first tried out the TW edition of the Pro One, the old school vibe took me right back to these.
I think the Pro Cynetic was the racquet that Sampras used right before he switched to the ProStaff 85, so I think they are very similar. However, I find the Pro One Int'l MP to be much flexier and forgiving than the PS 85. I'd imagine that a Pro One Mid would play and feel closer to the Prestige Classic with an open string pattern. :)

BreakPoint
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes, I have seen one on the Bay before. The Donnay Pro One came in Midsize, Supermidsize(i have one), and Oversize. I believe the midsize was a 90. I believe Ericsson posted something about this ???maybe:?
Interesting. I'd have to look into it.

Thanks. :)

ericsson
09-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I like the Donnay Pro One International MP 95, but I wish the head was a bit smaller to make it more maneuverable. Did Donnay ever make a version with a 90 sq. in. head (or a bit smaller or bigger) back in the 90's?

Thanks.

BP, Donnay never made a Pro One with 90 sq. that said, they did bring out a Pro One Mid, but that one had a 85 sq. and braided graphite and kevlar, stick came out in 1997-98.
They also had the Ultimate 90 with 90sq. but this one had a unique kinda shape and extremely thin beam (16mm)
Ofcourse Donnay had many 90 sq. models like the cynetic, pro ceramic, turbo etc...

BreakPoint
09-05-2009, 12:19 AM
BP, Donnay never made a Pro One with 90 sq. that said, they did bring out a Pro One Mid, but that one had a 85 sq. and braided graphite and kevlar, stick came out in 1997-98.
They also had the Ultimate 90 with 90sq. but this one had a unique kinda shape and extremely thin beam (16mm)
Ofcourse Donnay had many 90 sq. models like the cynetic, pro ceramic, turbo etc...
Thanks ericsson! I was hoping you'd chime into this thread as I figured you would know the answer. :)

I did a little search and found an old thread in which someone had one of these frames. I also just started a thread in the TW Questions forum to see if there's any chance TW could have these re-made just like with the MP and OS versions. :)

BTW, do you know if any of the other 90 sq. in. Donnays that you've mentioned play anything at all like the TW Pro One Int'l MP, except just with a smaller head?

Thanks!

ericsson
09-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks ericsson! I was hoping you'd chime into this thread as I figured you would know the answer. :)

I did a little search and found an old thread in which someone had one of these frames. I also just started a thread in the TW Questions forum to see if there's any chance TW could have these re-made just like with the MP and OS versions. :)

BTW, do you know if any of the other 90 sq. in. Donnays that you've mentioned play anything at all like the TW Pro One Int'l MP, except just with a smaller head?

Thanks!

That's a very difficult question, i played so many different Donnay's that its just hard to remember them all :-) on top of that i still didnt play the TW version, just the originals...
BP, if you see a bargain on those older Donnay's, cynetic, gtx, ceramic, borg graphite etc... please buy, you wont be dissapointed!

I forgot to say that Donnay had a Pro One Mid in 1991 (same graphics as the orange/gray one Agassi endorsed) but was actually a 95 sq. and used at that time by Leconte

BreakPoint
09-05-2009, 12:50 AM
That's a very difficult question, i played so many different Donnay's that its just hard to remember them all :-) on top of that i still didnt play the TW version, just the originals...
BP, if you see a bargain on those older Donnay's, cynetic, gtx, ceramic, borg graphite etc... please buy, you wont be dissapointed!

I forgot to say that Donnay had a Pro One Mid in 1991 (same graphics as the orange/gray one Agassi endorsed) but was actually a 95 sq. and used at that time by Leconte
Interesting. I wonder why Donnay called a 95 a "Mid" in 1991, but then called a 95 a "SuperMidsize" in the mid-90's, and then called an 85 a "Mid" in 1997-98?

BTW, did they call the Pro One International 95 a "SuperMidsize" or a "MidPlus"? And do you know exactly what year that came out? Thanks.

ericsson
09-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Interesting. I wonder why Donnay called a 95 a "Mid" in 1991, but then called a 95 a "SuperMidsize" in the mid-90's, and then called an 85 a "Mid" in 1997-98?

BTW, did they call the Pro One International 95 a "SuperMidsize" or a "MidPlus"? And do you know exactly what year that came out? Thanks.

The first Pro One international came out in 1992-93 (gray/green) and endorsed by Leconte, that's the first time they used the word supermidsize on their 95sq.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2e2e4b7.jpg

Here is a close up of the Mid from 1991, why they had different words i dont know, i think it has something to do with marketing etc...(supermidsize sounds better :-)

http://i29.tinypic.com/1zwkoc7.jpg

BreakPoint
09-05-2009, 09:32 AM
^^^^
Thanks for the info and the pics, ericsson! :)

ericsson
09-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Forgot to say that the Pro One Mid and the orginal Pro One International were both used by Bjorn Borg during his comeback in the early 90's.

schu47
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I thought I would revive this thread to see if I can tap into your expertise, ericcson. I have three versions of the Pro One midplus/supermidsize, and I really like the way they play. I know the purple and red one is the TW reissue, but am not sure where the yellow/black one or the red/silver/blue models fit in. You said the gray and green one was the original -- how many other of the midplus/supermidsizes are there, and when were they released, if you know? I think the red/silver/blue one is interesting, because it has regular block graphics instead of that "newspaper print" graphics of most of the models.

Interestingly, both the TW reissue and the red/silver/blue models weigh about 11.8 oz. strung, but the yellow/black one is much heftier at 12.4 oz.

I appreciate any light you can shed on this. Here they are:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/TH0vakegMjI/AAAAAAAAgMc/Bi28wKIjtUM/s800/P8317701.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_R75QH658YRs/TH0vbDy3-NI/AAAAAAAAgMg/zyY0QqinPQI/s800/P8317702.JPG

ericsson
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I thought I would revive this thread to see if I can tap into your expertise, ericcson. I have three versions of the Pro One midplus/supermidsize, and I really like the way they play. I know the purple and red one is the TW reissue, but am not sure where the yellow/black one or the red/silver/blue models fit in. You said the gray and green one was the original -- how many other of the midplus/supermidsizes are there, and when were they released, if you know? I think the red/silver/blue one is interesting, because it has regular block graphics instead of that "newspaper print" graphics of most of the models.

Interestingly, both the TW reissue and the red/silver/blue models weigh about 11.8 oz. strung, but the yellow/black one is much heftier at 12.4 oz.

I appreciate any light you can shed on this. Here they are:

Hi there, I have these beauties at home too and they are all great, i have used them when i was younger, the red/blue one was the last Donnay i played before switching to Volkl.
The yellow Pro One is the International from 1996 and had the FWT construction with a 50% glassfiber and 50% HM graphite, racket has great touch. This racket was used by Olivier Rochus before he went professional. There was also a Pro One Limited with the same graphics but 100 % graphite, this one was used on tour by Kenneth Carlsen.

The red/blue/grey one is from 1998 and was later on endorsed by Greg Rusedski. (although he never used the real one, his was custom made)
This one has a 70% HM graphite and 30% kevlar FWT construction and weighs 325 gr unstrung and constant beam of 18,5mm. This particular model came also in midsize (85sq and braided graphite) and oversize (110sq)
they all shared the same paintjob.
Donnay had quite some models from this mold with various colours...

schu47
09-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks, ericcson. It's great that you are willing to share your great knowledge. I really like these Pro Ones, and am grateful to get to know something more about them. I'll keep an eye out for some of the other models.

db379
11-19-2010, 03:01 AM
What's the difference in composition, weight/balance, and feel between the original grey Pro One Internat, and the TW reissue?

stevewcosta
11-19-2010, 05:16 AM
Hi there, I have these beauties at home too and they are all great, i have used them when i was younger, the red/blue one was the last Donnay i played before switching to Volkl.
The yellow Pro One is the International from 1996 and had the FWT construction with a 50% glassfiber and 50% HM graphite, racket has great touch. This racket was used by Olivier Rochus before he went professional. There was also a Pro One Limited with the same graphics but 100 % graphite, this one was used on tour by Kenneth Carlsen.

The red/blue/grey one is from 1998 and was later on endorsed by Greg Rusedski. (although he never used the real one, his was custom made)
This one has a 70% HM graphite and 30% kevlar FWT construction and weighs 325 gr unstrung and constant beam of 18,5mm. This particular model came also in midsize (85sq and braided graphite) and oversize (110sq)
they all shared the same paintjob.
Donnay had quite some models from this mold with various colours...

Wow, most of these sound much better than anything offered today...of course. Tennis racquet manufacturing has gone so downhill.

Dave M
11-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Wow, most of these sound much better than anything offered today...of course. Tennis racquet manufacturing has gone so downhill.

Having spent the last weekend using the international i agree, i'm gonna get some more limiteds to do a side by side somparison but the feel of the mix frame is lovely.Nice to find some new ones as well.:)

forthegame
11-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Having spent the last weekend using the international i agree, i'm gonna get some more limiteds to do a side by side somparison but the feel of the mix frame is lovely.Nice to find some new ones as well.:)

Dave M, how dos? Wondering about this frame, hoping to get one in the near future. What's the power like? I know it's supposed to be soft but I'm hoping it has decent power (for when I cannot generate my own, which is often :)).

I promise this is the last frame I'll buy!! :twisted:

stevewcosta
11-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Not that cosmetics matter to me much (I'm a matte black kind of a guy), but that darker yellow/black combo is awesome (and I usually hate yellow...that one is closer to gold).