PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Big Banger Ace

murrmanfan13
09-04-2009, 05:20 PM
well, my search for polys is near the end, and i think i have found Luxilon BB Rough to me my best choice with x-one biphase. before i get a reel, i am thinking of trying BBA. its gotten great reviews and its been recommended to me.

how does it compare to Luxilon Rough? will it rip the x-1 biphase as much? if anyone could give me a direct comparison with Rough or any other polys would be great!

Kevo
09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I think it's clearly better than rough in all but the durability category. It's pretty thin though, and that will probably mean it will chew through the X-1 faster, but I don't have any first hand experience with that combo.

I would say BBA is probably the best poly I've used, but I can't afford it. If it were maybe 3 times as durable then it might make sense for me.

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 06:12 AM
ahh ok. maybe ill try putting it with a more durable multi. any advice?

SAFMAN69
09-05-2009, 06:19 AM
off topic but how does the X-1 hybrid compare to just a full ALU ROUGH? in spin, feel, comfort, power, control?

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 06:31 AM
ive tried both so ill give a direct comparison.

alu/x-1 vs. alu

durability: here its a draw. alu is easier to break in full, but in hybrid it saws through x-1 fairly fast. overall average durability for both

power: x-1/alu has more controllable power for sure. not to much though, but the right amount.

spin: pretty close. in the hybrid wih alu in the main the cross doesnt effect spin that much. x-1 also has good spin. no clear winner

control: full alu has more control for only one reason: it has less power! if you combine control and power, id take it with x-1 just because the x-1 produces a heavier ball.

comfort: alu/x-1

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 06:32 AM
o and for feel x-1 fo sho.

SAFMAN69
09-05-2009, 06:38 AM
oh ok thanks :) i tried an alu/excel power today and found it to have no bite on the ball and feel very mushy with no spin and have yet to try a hybrid with almost if not equal qualities to a full alu. but i have yet to try the x1 hybrid :shock:!

thanks

tigerstring
09-05-2009, 06:39 AM
The Ace is going to be softer than the Rough. The only Direct comparison I have with Ace in a hybrid is when I compared Ace the Timo (Hollow Core in the crosses). The Ace Preformed great in that set-up, though I know it's not exactly the info you were looking for. It had plenty of feel on touch shots and still had the pop you need from the Baseline.

In this hybrid situation I don't think there will be a tremendous difference in the durability of Alu rough vs. Ace, since it's the cross that will break first. Yes, the Texture and gauge will make a difference, but in my experience it's the Pentagonal/Octagonal strings that really saw through the mulit's quickly. Everything else is pretty much the same. If I had to name a winner in that category, I'd go with Alu Rough, since it's going to move a bit less.

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 07:00 AM
so you would choose rough over ace if they were both paired with x-1?

tigerstring
09-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I'd probably choose Rough, but that's just me. Just try them both. I doubt you'll hate either of them.

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 07:06 AM
ok. i have tried rough, but im just looking for a different alternative.

Aces09
09-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I really think you should give it a try. It feels really good, in hybrid form and by itself. It gives great pop and phenomenal spin. Control is definitely the best aspect though, also the feel is super. I like it much more than alu rough.

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 11:33 AM
good review! im definitely going to try it now! what have you used it with in a hybrid?

Aces09
09-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Babolat VS gut mains, both in the 16 and 17 gauges. it was in late 08 when I used the Microgel Prestige MP, so I had no problem with durability in the 18x20 string pattern. I really enjoyed great touch and the feel was so great. Make sure and tell me what you think when you try it.

I'm sure you'd have no problem using a multifilament, but I'm such a believer in the superiority of natural gut and I don't break strings a lot. You should do yourself a favor and, if only just once, try it with gut.

murrmanfan13
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
i think i gotta just get a set of VS and see what happens :)

tigerstring
09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Just remember that natural Gut is not for everyone. If you're one of those people that prefers full poly to a hybrid, guy might not be for you. We offer gut to our starters, but never have more than one or two using it.