PDA

View Full Version : Kneissl Red Star question

steebo
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I am curious as to what the term "weight and Balance Changeable" written on top of the frame means. I have been using the Black Star version for about a year strung at 68lbs, should I stick to this tension? Has anyone ever strung at 76lbs which is max tension? Thanks for any help.
Steve

Sigi
09-05-2009, 03:16 AM
I am curious as to what the term "weight and Balance Changeable" written on top of the frame means. I have been using the Black Star version for about a year strung at 68lbs, should I stick to this tension? Has anyone ever strung at 76lbs which is max tension? Thanks for any help.
Steve

If you look at the butt cap, the Kneissl plastic symbol is removable. This gives you access to the inside of the handle where you can add weight (lead, epoxy, etc.) that will allow you to change the weight and balance of the racquet.

PaulMan
09-05-2009, 06:39 AM
If you look at the butt cap, the Kneissl plastic symbol is removable. This gives you access to the inside of the handle where you can add weight (lead, epoxy, etc.) that will allow you to change the weight and balance of the racquet.

Not only that, but because some of the 2007 Kneissl versions, like the Black Star, came with different weight butt cap trap doors (removable plastic symbol). That is what they meant by that term.

Follow this short thread from Haerdalis: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=145784&highlight=black+star

PaulMan
09-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Steve

It all depends on your game and what level of control you're comfortable with. Strings make a very big difference in the level of control and comfort even at very high tensions. Also if you add weight to the racquet, it will also make it more powerful, which may require higher tensions than if the racquet was lighter. Many different variables that users make can change the playing characteristics of a racquet.

I have a couple of Black Stars, strung at 58 and they have plenty of control with decent pop on them. For an OS, it's a lower powered, comfy and flexy stick. Supposedly measured at 58 flex strung from TW a few years ago, although to me it feels closer to 60 or 61.

In either case, using IsoSpeed Pro Classic, Thomas Muster would string his more flexible (56 flex) Kneissl Tom's Reach Machine at over 80lbs. tension. I do have to say that the Tom's Reach Machine definitely feels more solid in build and substantial heft to it than the Black Stars.

Not saying the Black Stars couldn't handle the high tensions, but your stringing machine's mounting system can play a part in helping support the racquet while it is being strung at such high tensions. Two point mounting systems, generally, will give much less support to one with something like a four point mounting system.