PDA

View Full Version : fake k90 plays better?

hjungj21o
09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
my friend owns 2 k90s (one of which is fake.. he has no idea he bought a fake..)

i hit with both of his k90s, but surprisingly, i liked the fake one better than the actual k90.

any thoughts on my experience?
just wanted to throw it out there.

martinrousev
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
If it's fake there probably is difference in weight, balance and flex. The fake's attributes probably suit you more.

gameboy
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
...go play with the fake?

Seriously, what "feedback" are you looking for other than the fact that you like swinging lighter racquets since the fake is probably significantly lighter than the real thing?

Insane90DegreeSpin
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I know a guy who likes playing with his fake racquet. I told him that it was fake and he agreed but now he thinks it's real. "i get more control with it" but he stills plays like crap

The balance it totally off. So off that it's super headheavy.

ztennis002
09-05-2009, 06:32 AM
How do u no its a fake

dincuss
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
If a fake K90 play better for you than a real K90, Should you be playing with a k90?

Mick
09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
If a fake K90 play better for you than a real K90, Should you be playing with a k90?

fake is made for 3.5+ but real one is made for 5.0+ :shock:

canadave
09-05-2009, 10:04 AM
This is a perfect example of the constant flawed logic racquet manufacturers love to instill in you: "Roger Federer plays with a K90; Roger Federer plays better than me; therefore, QED, I will play better if I play with a K90."

Whether a racquet "plays better" in your hand is totally dependent on what kind of racquets you tend to play better with; not whether a particular pro plays with it. If a WalMart racquet has specs that closely match the racquet you play best with, then that WalMart racquet will "play better" for you than a K90.

hjungj21o
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
haha woah woah, didn't expect that much criticism.

you guys are probably right. i think it plays better because it's better suited for my body.

i don't own a k90 myself because i KNOW it doesn't suit my style or level, just wanted to try out my friend's cause he bought them from two separate owners.

i currently own LM radical plus lead tape on 12 to make it even more head heavy. i was probably used to the head heavy fake k90.

refrain those harsh comments please, cause i'm fragile haha.

canadave
09-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Don't take what I'm about to say too harshly, but....don't take it so harshly :) What I and the others wrote wasn't criticism, really, but just answering your question. Your question seemed to imply that you were surprised a fake k90 might "play better" than a real one, which, as we've pointed out, is actually quite possible.

It's easy on an internet forum to mistake honest discussion for criticism and harshness (I've done it myself many times). I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly meant my comments to be an honest answer rather than criticism (if anything, I meant to criticize racquet manufacturers for continually planting false ideas in people's heads).

abiriax
09-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I've got a couple of fakes over from china and to be honest, they play the same. According to the guys them from (i've used different suppliers) many are made either in the same factories where the originals are made or by people who used to work in the same factories, using the same materials. I've played a pretty decent standard and the balance, weight and quality seems the same.

Arzon
09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I actually visited china a couple of weeks ago and they had a racquet shop at a bargain store. They were selling slightly headlight (like 2pt) K90s for Y580 (about 86.60 US). of course it was a bargain shop and I got it down to 250Y (about 37.10 US). it felt pretty real as far as finish, but it probably played like crp.

Nanshiki
09-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Even if the molds and techniques are the same, or the racquet looks the same, it will play TOTALLY different and specs will be way off if the lay up is even slightly different.

anirut
09-05-2009, 06:35 PM
So ...

There are fake rackets ... i.e. rackets made to resemble a model, but not made under the brand-owner's authorization. (Off-spec or not is another story. Wilson's own rackets are most of the time off-spec, but they're authentic.)

Now ... is a fake racket a bad racket?

That's something I don't think can be answered. If it matches well with the playing style of someone, then it could be a good racket for that someone ...

No clear-cut answer, I suppose ...

hjungj21o
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
haha no harm done. it's true, the companies do brainwash people with their fascinating and convincing ads.

i'm surprised that those fakes come out from the same factories where the authentic ones are made - that alone shows how much the big tennis companies care about their customers :P

Bri-guy
09-05-2009, 11:06 PM
How do u no its a fake

Best grammar ever.

jwbarrientos
09-06-2009, 04:22 AM
This is a perfect example of the constant flawed logic racquet manufacturers love to instill in you: "Roger Federer plays with a K90; Roger Federer plays better than me; therefore, QED, I will play better if I play with a K90."

Whether a racquet "plays better" in your hand is totally dependent on what kind of racquets you tend to play better with; not whether a particular pro plays with it. If a WalMart racquet has specs that closely match the racquet you play best with, then that WalMart racquet will "play better" for you than a K90.

+1
that reasoning is what marketing people exploids to sell racquets
;)

defrule
09-06-2009, 10:07 AM
If I had my hands on a fake k90, I would strip the paint off, add lead tape to the frame and other customizations. Do my own paintjob.

Obviously if it's totally fake then it'll probably break easily, but if it was a factory defect that didn't meet QC then you can probably transform it into a tailored frame. No need to worry about ruining a good k90.

jmmtn4aj
09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
haha no harm done. it's true, the companies do brainwash people with their fascinating and convincing ads.

i'm surprised that those fakes come out from the same factories where the authentic ones are made - that alone shows how much the big tennis companies care about their customers :P

Most fakes of branded apparel and other mass-produced items are done this way, it's much cheaper to simply run a factory already producing Nike shoes (thus having the specs already programmed into the machines, the materials and processes known, and molds/tooling all ready) for a few extra shifts to produce a fake than to try to copy it from stretch, having to cast out the molds for the different shoe sizes and such, adjust the dimensions in the machinery computer etc. just to make a convincing fake.

Of course they might skimp on the materials, replacing the original spec'ed one for cheaper materials, but usually the parts (insole, outsole, tongue and so on) are the same dimensions as the original, so they look pretty convincing and even feel so.. until you start to run in them.

gameboy
09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I would strongly disagree with people who claim that the fakes are produced from the same factories where they make the real thing.

If they did, then you would not be able to distinguish fakes from the real thing and for all intent and purposes they are not "fakes".

Most of the manufacturers who produce real items have strict manufacturing controls and they are not going to jeopardize their big contracts with brands. You may see some over produced items in the black market every now and then, but that is going to be rare.

It is quite cheap to just buy the racket and make molds out of them. Which is what all the racquet counterfeiters are doing. But when you do that you are going to produce slight imperfections and the internal contruction is going to be completely different from the original, which is why you can tell apart fakes from real things fairly easily.

Don't listen to those who are saying the fakes and the real thing come from the same place. Only the guys selling the fakes will tell you that.

PrinceMoron
09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I would love to play for some beers against someone who is happy with their fake racket,but they will need to bring a few, so when one breaks, they will still have to run around looking stupid for the full 3 sets.

Fakes play better!! Anyone who says that has a head like the rackets, completely hollow.