PDA

View Full Version : Can I customize my KPS88?

UD1
09-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I would like to do two things to my KPS88's.

First, I would like to reduce the grip size from 4 1/2 to 4 3/8. Read on the forum that alot of the newer racquets cannot be reduced. Is the KPS88 able to be reduced?

Second, I would like to add some weight in the handle to make it more head light. I removed the butt cap and saw that it's filled with a red foam like substance. Can I remove the foam and add some fishing weights?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sangria Munky
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
you can try digging out the foam and wrap your weights areound cotton wool so that it will not rattle while you play. As for your grip question, i am not familiar with the kps88.

(the fishing weights may be too big to fit in, or too heavy.)

120mphBodyServe
09-05-2009, 12:49 AM
That foam is in the handle for a reason.
It's there to reduce vibration in the handle and to make it more comfortable to play with.
Instead slap some lead tape on the handle and use a thinner replacement grip..
Or you could do what a very famous ex player used to do, and use 2 overgrips instead.

wyutani
09-05-2009, 01:12 AM
isnt the KPS88 heavy enuf? why add weights?

120mphBodyServe
09-05-2009, 03:17 AM

Why don't you go and figure it out and maybe learn something NEW???

wyutani
09-05-2009, 03:29 AM

no thanks. i got better things to do.

Cloud Atlas
09-05-2009, 03:41 AM

That's a bit harsh isn't it.

120mphBodyServe
09-05-2009, 04:55 AM
That's a bit harsh isn't it.

No, I don't think so... If someone can't answer the question being asked, why bother posting? It's just more pointless fluff.

wyutani
09-05-2009, 05:01 AM
No, I don't think so... If someone can't answer the question being asked, why bother posting? It's just more pointless fluff.

wth? i gave a legit answer. you can either agree or disagree. i think ur the one who needs to go out and learn something new. ur stale.

120mphBodyServe
09-05-2009, 05:21 AM
I don't know if it's possible, someone else who is more of an expert in modifying racquets should be able to answer this...
It is possible to remove the handle from the frame and install another of your choice...
This is all dependent on how the racquet is made....
Or if you are REALLY desperate you could sand down the handle a bit to decrease the size...

Bengt
09-05-2009, 06:03 AM
wth? i gave a legit answer. you can either agree or disagree. i think ur the one who needs to go out and learn something new. ur stale.

You're right, he was rude. Beautiful fancy guppy in you avatar, btw.

The OP needs to consult the TW Learning Center and find out how to add weight to the handle in order to make the racquet more head light.

To reduce the grip size, he needs to buy one of the thin TW leather grips (if he doesn't use overgrips and likes leather) or find a Laserfibre Tourfit syn replacement grip (either the regular Tourfit, the Twintone or the reducer grip which is even thinner). I think the Tourfit or the Twintone would be best. Do not attempt to "remove the handle" (if that's even possible - I doubt it) or shave the handle as both will ruin your nice racquet.

FedforOne
09-05-2009, 06:26 AM
i heard its possible to get the grip shavened down at a local pro shop. however im not sure if its really possible

Bengt
09-05-2009, 06:32 AM
i heard its possible to get the grip shavened down at a local pro shop. however im not sure if its really possible

It is possible for $50 or so (at a reputable racquet customizer like the shop in Birmingham AL or the famous place in NY), but the bevels will never be the same. And for what? So you can keep your original $10 grip (albeit rewrapped). I've been down this road. It's better to spend $10 or less on a new thinner replacement grip if you're only going down one size. And as a plus, you'll get better bevel definition and feel.

movdqa
09-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Do you just want to tailweight for balance or do you want to add overall weight? If the latter, then you could ask TW for a 13.1 oz frame in the grip size that you want.

Some racquets have pallets that can be changed and some don't. I haven't taken my grip apart so I don't know. When I was experimenting with lead, I just added under the grip near the top of the handle. I have stock frames at 12.7, 12.9 and 13.1 ounces, courtesy of wide variations in Wilson's manufacturing group.

UD1
09-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the great replies guys.

The racquet isn't too heavy for me. I've been using a clubbell for the last couple of years. It develops forearm strength beyond belief, I highly recommend giving it a try. A fun part of any hobby whether it's cars or tennis is to tinker with your equipment so that's the reason I'm inquiring about making my racquet more headlight.

I did research the TW learning center but they didn't mention anything about digging out the foam.

Based upon the suggestions I'm going to try a thinner replacement grip first. If that's not to my liking then I'll consider taking it to an MRT and see if he can reduce the grip. I live in So. Cal so I have a couple of MRTs nearby.

Thanks again!

フェデラー
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM

I guess you dont understand what an answer actually is? And fix your spelling, it's so atrocious i can barely stand to read your posts.

Steve Huff
09-05-2009, 05:53 PM
UD1. I'd leave the foam in the handle. Add strips of lead tape to the handle. I find that adding to the diagonal bevels results in the least change of feel to the grip. If you're adding lots of weight, add to all bevels. Then, use and overgrip instead of a grip to cover the handle and lead. If it's too small, add another overgrip. This is an easily reversible customization, so if you don't like it, you can change it back to the way it was. Good luck.

drakulie
09-05-2009, 07:22 PM
UD1. I'd leave the foam in the handle. Add strips of lead tape to the handle. I find that adding to the diagonal bevels results in the least change of feel to the grip. If you're adding lots of weight, add to all bevels. Then, use and overgrip instead of a grip to cover the handle and lead. If it's too small, add another overgrip. This is an easily reversible customization, so if you don't like it, you can change it back to the way it was. Good luck.

from someone who has already done this to his own kps88, I second Steve Huff's, recommendation.

Good luck

wyutani
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I guess you dont understand what an answer actually is? And fix your spelling, it's so atrocious i can barely stand to read your posts.

this is a forum, not a compositon or newspaper article. hw does the sentence that u qoute be so hard to read. are u from pre-school?

if its so atrocious, then dun read it. see my name there? click ignore.

UD1
09-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Good suggestion regarding the lead tape on the bevel. I'll try that and see if it works out. Will report back with my impressions. Thanks Steve and Drakulie!

W1L50N=B3A5T
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
its probably best to add lead tape to the buttcap by removing the leather grip.

W1L50N=B3A5T
09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
As for reducing grip size, you can purchase the ultra thin TW leather grip and add lead.

shadowrtype
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM

I've never tried any lead customizing before but interested in trying this. How much weight would it be to cover all the bevels and what would be the balance after adding them and retaining the original leather? I wouldn't mind the slightly larger grip.