PDA

View Full Version : Nicolas Almagro Racquet

Conquistador
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Is Nicolas Almagro really using the Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour? Or is it a paintjob?

reesespiecestennis
09-05-2009, 02:12 PM
No but who really cares, it's a crappy racquet, stiff, unforgiving, not particularly powerful. And it's beam is very, very thick. I hate it. Strung with luxilon, however.

I shanked more in one day than I have in a whole month.

Conquistador
09-05-2009, 02:14 PM
No but who really cares, it's a crappy racquet, stiff, unforgiving, not particularly powerful. And it's beam is very, very thick. I hate it. Strung with luxilon, however.

Ive heard everything of the opposite, quite frankly.

reesespiecestennis
09-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Well you can hear all you want, so did I. I'm just trying to warn you.

wyutani
09-05-2009, 02:22 PM
so aerogel is bad?

reesespiecestennis
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
No, not necessarily. There is no aerogel in it to begin with. I've had a 200, and 500 tour and didn't really like either one. The best rackets I've hit with have been from tecnifibre and head.

wyutani
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
to tell u the truth, youtek aint great either.

prjacobs
09-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm a 4 - 4.5 player with an MG radical pro, and I hit better with the 4D 500 tour. I didn't expect to like it, but I killed with it:)

Conquistador
09-06-2009, 04:33 AM
Aerogel is real. Its the lightest solid known to mankind.

dadozen
09-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Well you can hear all you want, so did I. I'm just trying to warn you.

No, not necessarily. There is no aerogel in it to begin with. I've had a 200, and 500 tour and didn't really like either one. The best rackets I've hit with have been from tecnifibre and head.

Dude, it's not because you didn't like it that it's a crappy racquet. Others might feel exactly the opposite. So don't post your opinion as a true fact.

To answer the OP, I really don't think he uses a AG 500 Tour or even a close racquet. the 500 Tour can't be considered a player's racquet. But I have no idea which one he's using.

canadave
09-06-2009, 12:03 PM
From Almagro's Wikipedia page:

"Nicolas Almagro uses the Dunlop 300G HotMelt with a Dunlop 4D Aerogel 500 Tour paintjob. He has been stringing with Luxilon Big Banger Original for years. He wears Reebok Match Point Shoes and the Match Day Group clothing."

fattsoo
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM

"Nicolas Almagro uses the Dunlop 300G HotMelt with a Dunlop 4D Aerogel 500 Tour paintjob. He has been stringing with Luxilon Big Banger Original for years. He wears Reebok Match Point Shoes and the Match Day Group clothing."

Ahhhh thx for clearing this up. As I was watching his match today, I was thinking to myself, that couldn't be the 500 he's been hitting with, the beam is too slim for 500, but the pj was there....ahhhhh

ollinger
09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
"Aerogel....is the lightest solid known to mankind".....so everyone who buys the racquet then tries to figure out where they need to add lead to make it playable. I also thought the 500 Tour was harsh and had a small (and not very sweet) sweetspot.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
09-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Aerogel is real. Its the lightest solid known to mankind.

Yes, but for a chunk about the size of a tear will cost you around $190. There's no way Dunlop could buy enough to stay in business or have it make any noticeable effect on the racket.

Ten_nuts
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey guys, i agree that Dunlop Aerogel 4D 500 tour is a very stiff frame, but i have a solution string for it. It's Ashaway crossfire2. 1st i got mine strung with Pro red code at 60 lbs, and the frame played amazing but i really felt the stiffness of the frame and that stiffness made my arm a little soar. My stringer suggested that i should try the Ashaway Crossfire2 at 60 lbs, and i got the amazing feel with this new string. Trust me with this guys, and this strings will also can apply for Babolat Pure Drive GT (standard and Roddick), Wilson K Blade, and any stiff frame. You can get 1 set of Ashaway Crossfire2 to try for yourself. When you see the results, you can also try Kevlar for the main and Luxilon for the cross (or anything like Luxilon type), and you will see what i mean. Kevlar string: Ashaway, Gosen... Have good tennis season, my friends.

Deuce
09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, i agree that Dunlop Aerogel 4D 500 tour is a very stiff frame, but i have a solution string for it. It's Ashaway crossfire2. 1st i got mine strung with Pro red code at 60 lbs, and the frame played amazing but i really felt the stiffness of the frame and that stiffness made my arm a little soar. My stringer suggested that i should try the Ashaway Crossfire2 at 60 lbs, and i got the amazing feel with this new string. Trust me with this guys, and this strings will also can apply for Babolat Pure Drive GT (standard and Roddick), Wilson K Blade, and any stiff frame. You can get 1 set of Ashaway Crossfire2 to try for yourself. When you see the results, you can also try Kevlar for the main and Luxilon for the cross (or anything like Luxilon type), and you will see what i mean. Kevlar string: Ashaway, Gosen... Have good tennis season, my friends.
^ Yeah - putting Kevlar in a stiff frame is a great idea. Makes me wonder why more of us never thought of it...

What you got with the Ashaway Kevlar is what I would call great ball bite, not great feel.

By the way - how high did your arm soar with the Pro Red Code?

honz
09-06-2009, 10:34 PM
^ Yeah - putting Kevlar in a stiff frame is a great idea. Makes me wonder why more of us never thought of it...

What you got with the Ashaway Kevlar is what I would call great ball bite, not great feel.

By the way - how high did your arm soar with the Pro Red Code?

Winnar of teh internets.

Hidious
09-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes, but for a chunk about the size of a tear will cost you around $190. There's no way Dunlop could buy enough to stay in business or have it make any noticeable effect on the racket.

I don't know where you are getting your information but my roommate had a piece of Aerogel he bought on the bay for about 15$.

Search aerogel on the auction site or check out Item number: 230368601590

A chunk about the size of a tear for 190$ ? Nope.

And hey, don't get me wrong; i'm not saying there actually is aerogel in Dunlop's frames.

Dave M
09-07-2009, 02:17 PM

I thought it looked too square for a 500, would make some sense.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know where you are getting your information but my roommate had a piece of Aerogel he bought on the bay for about 15$.

Search aerogel on the auction site or check out Item number: 230368601590

A chunk about the size of a tear for 190$ ? Nope.

And hey, don't get me wrong; i'm not saying there actually is aerogel in Dunlop's frames.

Not to mention that Dunlop probably buys in bulk and gets a good deal on it.

Conquistador
09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Aerogel is real, and its taking over racquet technology. Its great stuff--the racquet feels soo comfortable.

Deuce
09-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I once had shaving cream with aerogel in it.

... or maybe it was toothpaste.

... or was it shoes? ...

CHOcobo
09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
"Aerogel....is the lightest solid known to mankind".....so everyone who buys the racquet then tries to figure out where they need to add lead to make it playable. I also thought the 500 Tour was harsh and had a small (and not very sweet) sweetspot.

Aerogel IS real but not in the rackets.....or so i heard.

Conquistador
09-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Aerogel IS real but not in the rackets.....or so i heard.

How isnt it? Its on wikipedia------http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Aerogel is the best technology.

CHOcobo
09-07-2009, 07:21 PM
lol........nevermind.

Alec78
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
From the Wiki page

"Aerogel particles are also used as thickening agents in some paints and cosmetics."

Maybe that's all Dunlop has done. In any case, branding a tennis racquet "Aerogel" is pure marketing and doesn't reflect any significant development in racquet technology. It's just another graphite composite racquet, and over the years racquet companies have come up with some pretty nifty names for the composite materials - Aerogel is Dunlop's latest, that's all.

If pros can play with Pure Drives, then I guess one could play with a Dunlop 500 Tour. But no, it's not a true player's racquet, and Almagro is definitely not using one.

hoodjem
09-08-2009, 03:32 PM
By the way--how high did your arm soar with the Pro Red Code?

Good one. You nailed him!

Mdubb23
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM

That's actually not true (never trust Wikipedia). Almagro uses the exact same custom pro Dunlop mold that Blake uses. The mold is very similar to the AG300 Tour 4D, M-Fil 200+ 97, and the Pre-V()2 Tecnifibre 320s and 335s. He used to have a 300G PJ though, which is probably why someone posted that on Wikipedia.