PDA

View Full Version : Are going to live tennis matches worth it?

Arzon
09-05-2009, 07:19 PM
SOrry if this is in the wrong forum.

I've been playing tennis for about 6 years now. I watch tennis on tv during the slams, but I've never been to an actual pro match.

I'm thinking about going to US Open next year (live in Georgia), but plane and tickets have a pretty big price tag. Is it actually worth it to go to pro tennis matches?

maverick66
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM
your poll is messed up. What does you finding a racket have to do with this topic?

flyinghippos101
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM
What the hells with the completely irrelevent poll?

Anyway, I say yes. Why not take the time to examine the pros and their technique (if you manage to get that close) plus it just rocks to see it live. There's nothing like it

dave333
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, there really isn't anything like watching pros play up close. You see just how fast it is, how much net clearance, and all their spin, stuff that you normally can't see on TV (unless they use that lower camera angle)

mtommer
09-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Besides the things dave333 mentioned, you also see how fast they aren't. More specifically, you see the strategy in setting up for that really hard and fast shot. You see how to play percentage tennis.

Beyond getting a better understanding of the game, you also get a better understanding of the emotion and mental aspects of the players and what they go through while playing. It makes the match more engaging to watch with greater anticipation and apprehension on each point played for the player you're rooting for.

goober
09-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Take the racquet dude!

If money is an issue you don't have to go to the US Open to see pro tennis. Just go to a local ATP event or even a challenger or futures event. IMO it is very worth it. You can see up close how hard pros are really hitting and with how much spin. On TV/video the ball appears to move slower and you really can't get the true feeling of how fast a 140 mph serve is unless you are up close. Everything just seems much more impressive live than on TV.

LanEvo
09-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Take the racquet dude!

If money is an issue you don't have to go to the US Open to see pro tennis. Just go to a local ATP event or even a challenger or futures event. IMO it is very worth it. You can see up close how hard pros are really hitting and with how much spin. On TV/video the ball appears to move slower and you really can't get the true feeling of how fast a 140 mph serve is unless you are up close. Everything just seems much more impressive live than on TV.

or just watch it at home, which beats the cheap seats u buy, unless u have courtside seats

goober
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
or just watch it at home, which beats the cheap seats u buy, unless u have courtside seats

Have you even been to a pro tournament? Why would you tell the OP just to watch it at home? I guess if the choice were only between sitting high up in the main stadium and watching it at home, you might be correct. But of course it isn't and anybody who has been to a pro even would (or should) know this.

At most pro tournaments, even the US Open you can get courtside seats.
cheap. At the US Open go to the qualies and the first week of play. You can easily get seats or standing positions right next to the courts. Avoid Arthur Ashe stadium. At smaller events it is even easier and cheaper. Plus if you go to an event like Indian Wells you can be courtside while some players ranked in the top 10 are practicing which I find almost as interesting as real matches.

papatenis
09-06-2009, 04:11 PM
georgia is a hot bed for tennis. im sure there are challengers, futures and even college matches that are excellent tennis to watch.
but, every recreational tennis play should make the pilgrimage to the big apple for the open. you have to go at least once in your life time. its truly worth it.

UW_Husky88
09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I didn't find it that great when I went to Davis Cup. It's not like watching a bball or football game live where you can be loud and has a vibrant atmosphere IMO.

Take the racket brah.

maddogz32
09-07-2009, 05:34 PM
keep the racket. that gonna save you 150+ dolars

raiden031
09-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I would recommend it. I've been to the US Open twice and Legg Mason twice. I prefer to watch lower-ranked players up-close on the smaller courts rather than the top-ranked players in the big stadiums from high up. Its that much more enjoyable to get the more up-close experience.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes. Just watching them practice is worth it(IMO). That and watching early round matches close up.

Bud
09-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I would recommend it. I've been to the US Open twice and Legg Mason twice. I prefer to watch lower-ranked players up-close on the smaller courts rather than the top-ranked players in the big stadiums from high up. Its that much more enjoyable to get the more up-close experience.

I second this :)

VGP
09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
To the thread topic:

Yes. Definitely. If you're a fan of the game I highly recommend watching the best compete against each other. Or even just to watch them hit.

To the poll topic:

Look for the owner. If no owner was to be found, post a note and hold onto the racket. Simply "tennis racket found" should suffice with your contact info.

If no one ever contacts you after some time has passed, then I suppose it's ok to keep it.

FuriousYellow
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes, live tennis is awesome but it is very expensive. You can't really get an idea of how fast the ball is moving from watching it on TV.

If you can't afford the USO, there's always the Sony Erricson Open in Miami instead.

SethIMcClaine
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
take the k six one you just found and sell it, use the money towards going to the event.

The experience at an event is something in itself. Defiantly go to at least one, and if you don't like the first one, go to another one.

callen3615
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
WTF on this thread btw. Anyway...
Find the owner because its probably mine.

callen3615
09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Id go to the open. Dude. Its the US Open. Why not?

Tyrus
09-09-2009, 12:24 PM
The open is big and expensive.

I like going to the Masters tours, way cheaper, and you get a chance to watch more of the good players in a day or 2. I mean i was 2 rows back from Federer and Nadal in Cincy, it was no more than $75 for a good seat during R16/Quarters.

You can't get that kind of value at the Open, but you know, the open is what it is.