PDA

View Full Version : Inglorious Basterds

Noveson
09-05-2009, 11:03 PM
What a great movie. Just saw it a few hours ago and I just loved it. Definitely going to be a DVD buy for me, so many crazy tension moments, and so many funny parts also.

What did you guys think

don_nguyen11490
09-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Also enjoyed it. I loved the part where Hans ordered the pastries for Shoshanna.

In fact every scene with Hans was just excellent.

mtommer
09-05-2009, 11:24 PM
"Bon journo"

I saw the movie Tues or Weds. Great movie!

Noveson
09-06-2009, 12:04 AM
"Bon journo"

I saw the movie Tues or Weds. Great movie!

So great. I am glad others enjoyed it.

Also enjoyed it. I loved the part where Hans ordered the pastries for Shoshanna.

In fact every scene with Hans was just excellent.

Hah Hans was pretty funny. Loved the part where he is trying to negotiate the deal, "BINGO!" and his crazy laugh haha.

aimr75
09-06-2009, 01:08 AM
great movie..

purple-n-gold
09-06-2009, 03:07 AM
great flick

wyutani
09-06-2009, 03:32 AM
final destination 4 is betta.

morten
09-06-2009, 03:54 AM
I hate Feds movies(or Quentin as some call him)

35ft6
09-06-2009, 04:16 AM
I thought Kill Bill, especially part 2, confirmed to me that Tarantino is real but this movie just took my respect for him to a whole new level.

The danger of a Tarantino is that a lot of screenwriters are going to yet again try to imitate his style. He is probably the most influential person to film makers and screenwriters of the past 20 years, but his is a singular talent. Yeah, he rips off themes, but his dialogue is really something else, and it allows him to get away with things that almost nobody else can. Like, um, not really using 3 act structure. Didn't give Basterds a lot of thought, but I'm pretty sure it didn't follow 3 Act structure. But it still worked. Why? Because every scene was interesting. The movie never stalls because each scene is so charming and tense and original in its own little way. It's almost like watching America's Funniest Home Videos in a way. No story, like a Sopranos or The Wire, but still interesting because every minute is so amusing.

Anyway, was blown away by it. Exceeded all my expectations.

fps
09-06-2009, 04:30 AM
I thought Kill Bill, especially part 2, confirmed to me that Tarantino is real but this movie just took my respect for him to a whole new level.

the kill bill movies are bloody awful.

dave333
09-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Sick movie, I absolutely loved it. I never laughed so much in my life...except maybe during an actual comedy movie.

Hans Landa was ridiculously good (the farmer and pastry scenes), but I definitely enjoyed Pitt's performance as well.

aimr75
09-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Like, um, not really using 3 act structure. Didn't give Basterds a lot of thought, but I'm pretty sure it didn't follow 3 Act structure. But it still worked

it did use the 3 Act structure and can guarantee Tarrantino put alot of thought into the movie

Act I: the Setup - The scene at the farmhouse and the girl Shosanna escaping and the inevitable introduction of the basterds sets up what ensues for the remainder of the movie

Act II: Confrontation - classic good vs evil, the basterds motive of taking **** scalps is obvious along with Shosanna wanting revenge for her family's murder

Act III - Resolution - Shosanna takes revenge with the movie theatre scene along with the basterds carrying out their mission

Pulp Fiction also uses the 3 act structure, but its simply not linear in the way the story is told.. Tarrantino doesnt break these rules, he just has a different take on them which has paved the way for other movies that have adopted this style of movie making

David_Is_Right
09-06-2009, 07:28 AM
I haven't seen a good Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. Is this it? Critical reception suggests not, citing the usual problems of gratuitously long dialogue scenes and throwaway violence. Is is worth seeing?

By the way, the use of a frame story in filmmaking isn't something Tarantino invented in Pulp Fiction, of course. However many people appear to have been dazzled into thinking this.

NickC
09-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Saw it the night it came out. It was decent. Funny, sick and had a decent story. That one French chick with the red dress at the end was quite good looking, IMO.

dParis
09-06-2009, 08:45 AM
By the way, the use of a frame story in filmmaking isn't something Tarantino invented in Pulp Fiction, of course. However many people appear to have been dazzled into thinking this.
What is a frame story?

Fedace
09-06-2009, 08:46 AM
What a great movie. Just saw it a few hours ago and I just loved it. Definitely going to be a DVD buy for me, so many crazy tension moments, and so many funny parts also.

What did you guys think

Is it based on true life story like a Documentary perhaps....?

NickC
09-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Is it based on true life story like a Documentary perhaps....?

No. It's fictional.

David_Is_Right
09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
What is a frame story?

A literary device where the main story is used as a device to tell smaller stories.

David_Is_Right
09-06-2009, 09:52 AM
No. It's fictional.

Yeah, wasn't it a book?

35ft6
09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
it did use the 3 Act structure and can guarantee Tarrantino put alot of thought into the moviePutting thought into a movie and using 3 act structure don't have to go hand in hand. And your breakdown doesn't prove 3 Act structure. For example, what's the inciting action at the end of your theorized Act 1?Pulp Fiction also uses the 3 act structure, but its simply not linear in the way the story is told...Pretty sure it doesn't.

This isn't an insult. He can get away with it. It's cool.

KoolBeans
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Saw an advanced preview a couple of weeks ago, GREAT film. Ive always enjoyed his movies, I like how you can spot a movie of his a mile off. Great style and I thought Pitt was hilarious.
I loved the slow build up long scenes.

KB xx

aimr75
09-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Putting thought into a movie and using 3 act structure don't have to go hand in hand. And your breakdown doesn't prove 3 Act structure. For example, what's the inciting action at the end of your theorized Act 1?Pretty sure it doesn't.

the 3 act structure is simply that, a framework to work around, i wasnt referring to the structure as far as him putting thought into the movie

The inciting action was the murder of that family.. that set up for what occurs during the next act and ultimately the third act..

This is just my interpretation of how the movie is played out keeping to the structure.. why dont you think it has structure?

This isn't an insult. He can get away with it. It's cool

Pulp uses a prologue and epilogue technique (the pumpkin/honey bunny scenes), much like saving private ryan uses the bookend technique with 'Old' Ryan beginning and ending the story

so with the pumpkin/honey bunny scenes, their discussion sets up the scene, the robbery is the inciting incident, and the confrontation and resolution occur at the end of the movie.. The end is nicely tied into what occurs during the bulk of the movie

The rest of the movie is really 3 stories centred around the main incident, being the retrieval of the briefcase and how they miraculously survived the shootout.. each story though has structure, they all have a beginning, middle and end. Each section in effect is like a short story which branches off from this key incident with the briefcase, each told from different points of view..

ShooterMcMarco
09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I haven't seen a good Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. Is this it? Critical reception suggests not, citing the usual problems of gratuitously long dialogue scenes and throwaway violence.

Some of the dialogue felt long, but it was always intriguing. There was a moment in the movie where I said to myself, "wow, this is a lot of dialogue, but how come I'm not bored?" This was during the scene where von Hammersmark gets introduced. Oh yeah, the opening act was incredible.

s it worth seeing?

Yes.