PDA

View Full Version : Tsonga's Wilson k factor Kobra Tour (For real?)

shayke
09-06-2009, 03:41 AM
After A-LOT of time trying to find the best racquet for me, I decided to buy the new kobra tour.

Last week i ordered the new APDC and then find out that nadal doesnt use this racquet at all and its just a marketing gimmik (cortex) so i canceled the order just from shame.

After indecision between Kblade 98, and the Kobra, i think i found the racquet for me which is the Kobra Tour.

It has what iam looking for in a racquet- solid wide body (durability), not too small head size (100), and manuverability.

Can you recommend this racquet for me?
Does tsonga really uses this racquet or its like the APDC, just a huge gimmik?

BTW.
I am 20 yo, 1.82cm 73 kg, well built. all around player.

dr325i
09-06-2009, 04:11 AM
After A-LOT of time trying to find the best racquet for me, I decided to buy the new kobra tour.

Last week i ordered the new APDC and then find out that nadal doesnt use this racquet at all and its just a marketing gimmik (cortex) so i canceled the order just from shame.

After indecision between Kblade 98, and the Kobra, i think i found the racquet for me which is the Kobra Tour.

It has what iam looking for in a racquet- solid wide body (durability), not too small head size (100), and manuverability.

BTW.

But now you're never going to play like Nadal...only like Tsonga...

shayke
09-06-2009, 04:24 AM

More helpful people out here?

Marc The Shark
09-06-2009, 05:08 AM
No one can look at you and look at a racquet and say. O ya this one is perfect for you....
You have to try them out and feel how YOU feel about the racquet... the kobra and APDC are very similar racquets..

Dave M
09-06-2009, 05:14 AM
As a rule of thumb, 90% of th players are not using the rackets it looks like they are using.
Di the Apdc have what you were looking for in a frame, if so why did you cancel it?

dr325i
09-06-2009, 05:20 AM
More helpful people out here?

Maybe you should think before you post...

First you make a goof out of yourself with the whole APDC stuff, then you expect us to have a crystal ball to tell you what racket is good for you???

TennisPassion5
09-06-2009, 05:50 AM
In my opinion, the APDC and the original APD play extremely similar. The original one just has a more original feel, but the newer Cortex one just plays a bit more dampened. So in essence, they play the same way. As for the Kobra Tour, I do feel as though he uses it, especially if you look right between the throat and the grip. It's very wide and thick. But, I hope this is not what you are basing your decision off of. Tsonga would be playing amazing with the KBlade 98 also. I don't know what it is about the Kobra Tour that you like, but if it matches your wants and demands in a racket, go for it.

shayke
09-06-2009, 05:56 AM
In my opinion, the APDC and the original APD play extremely similar. The original one just has a more original feel, but the newer Cortex one just plays a bit more dampened. So in essence, they play the same way. As for the Kobra Tour, I do feel as though he uses it, especially if you look right between the throat and the grip. It's very wide and thick. But, I hope this is not what you are basing your decision off of. Tsonga would be playing amazing with the KBlade 98 also. I don't know what it is about the Kobra Tour that you like, but if it matches your wants and demands in a racket, go for it.

What i like about the kobra tour is that it looks like a very solid durable racquet, and the fact that an actual tour player using it is just a proof that the racquet is not just a marketing toy. thats it. iam not even a nadal/tsonga fan. i only like the tennis.

shayke
09-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Another question i have about the Kobra tour before iam ordering it, is how much the head light 8pts, and 309 swingweight will affect my game? or it wont be that noticeable comparing to similare racquets lets say head MGE?

BTW where i live there are no demo's available.

canadave
09-06-2009, 06:15 AM

BTW.

A few things occur to me in reading your post. I'll list them in no particular order.

1. You wrote "solid wide body (durability)." If by "durability" you mean "it won't break for many years," just be aware that most half-decent racquets will not break for many years; and also be aware that a solid wide body does not necessarily translate into durability.

2. In another post, you mentioned that the fact a tour player uses a racquet is proof that it's not a marketing toy. Well, almost :) Even if a tour player uses a particular model of racquet, and it's not simply painted to look like a current model, be aware that just about every pro is using a highly customized version of that racquet. If Tsonga is actually using a Kobra Tour, it's almost certainly a customized version of it (different weight and balance), and not an exact copy of the one you've ordered (I assume you haven't received yours yet?)

3. If you're looking for a new racquet, your best strategy is to figure out what type of racquet would work best for you--something head light or head heavy? Something 10 ounces or 12 ounces...or in between? Something with a high swingweight or low? What string pattern (16x19, or 18x20)? Do you need a racquet with a longer grip, if you have a two-handed backhand? These types of considerations, and not whether or not a pro uses your racquet (for "legitimacy" reasons or any other reason), should be the ONLY determining factors in which racquet you order.

4. Obviously step 3 can be hard to figure out if, like you and me both, you're not in a place where you can demo. In that case, you should try your best to figure out what type of racquet MIGHT work best for you specs-wise, then order it, and if it doesn't work, sell it (on these boards, or on an auction site, or locally). Use the money from the sale to choose a racquet better suited to your taste (figure out what you didn't like with the racquet you bought). You'll lose a little money that way, but at least you won't lose too much.

5. You asked how the 8 pt balance and 309 swingweight will "affect your game." Since we don't know what your game is like, we have no way of knowing. In general, 8 points HL is a "player's racquet balance"--it lends itself well to maneuverability, arm health, and control. In general, a 309 swingweight is considered fairly low (I haven't checked offhand...these are strung specs we're talking about, right? Not unstrung?). You'll definitely need to muscle the ball with that low a swingweight.

Good luck.

Sangria Munky
09-06-2009, 06:34 AM
why buy something just because a pro uses it?

a-naik.1
09-06-2009, 07:45 AM
You know that probably 95% of all pros do not use the racquet they endorse. Just to let you know.

Fedace
09-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Yea, that is all in the marketing. Most people buy the frame just cause pro uses it. Like People buy the K90 just cause they think Federer uses it but it is really a PJ... he really uses the Jack Kramer signature wood racket painted like the K factor 90. :)

Peter Szucs
09-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Another question i have about the Kobra tour before iam ordering it, is how much the head light 8pts, and 309 swingweight will affect my game? or it wont be that noticeable comparing to similare racquets lets say head MGE?

BTW where i live there are no demo's available.

Just buy it and learn how to play with it.

Mr.Brightside
09-06-2009, 09:34 AM
A few things occur to me in reading your post. I'll list them in no particular order.

1. You wrote "solid wide body (durability)." If by "durability" you mean "it won't break for many years," just be aware that most half-decent racquets will not break for many years; and also be aware that a solid wide body does not necessarily translate into durability.

2. In another post, you mentioned that the fact a tour player uses a racquet is proof that it's not a marketing toy. Well, almost :) Even if a tour player uses a particular model of racquet, and it's not simply painted to look like a current model, be aware that just about every pro is using a highly customized version of that racquet. If Tsonga is actually using a Kobra Tour, it's almost certainly a customized version of it (different weight and balance), and not an exact copy of the one you've ordered (I assume you haven't received yours yet?)

3. If you're looking for a new racquet, your best strategy is to figure out what type of racquet would work best for you--something head light or head heavy? Something 10 ounces or 12 ounces...or in between? Something with a high swingweight or low? What string pattern (16x19, or 18x20)? Do you need a racquet with a longer grip, if you have a two-handed backhand? These types of considerations, and not whether or not a pro uses your racquet (for "legitimacy" reasons or any other reason), should be the ONLY determining factors in which racquet you order.

4. Obviously step 3 can be hard to figure out if, like you and me both, you're not in a place where you can demo. In that case, you should try your best to figure out what type of racquet MIGHT work best for you specs-wise, then order it, and if it doesn't work, sell it (on these boards, or on an auction site, or locally). Use the money from the sale to choose a racquet better suited to your taste (figure out what you didn't like with the racquet you bought). You'll lose a little money that way, but at least you won't lose too much.

5. You asked how the 8 pt balance and 309 swingweight will "affect your game." Since we don't know what your game is like, we have no way of knowing. In general, 8 points HL is a "player's racquet balance"--it lends itself well to maneuverability, arm health, and control. In general, a 309 swingweight is considered fairly low (I haven't checked offhand...these are strung specs we're talking about, right? Not unstrung?). You'll definitely need to muscle the ball with that low a swingweight.

Good luck.

Great post

jmmtn4aj
09-06-2009, 09:44 AM
What i like about the kobra tour is that it looks like a very solid durable racquet, and the fact that an actual tour player using it is just a proof that the racquet is not just a marketing toy. thats it. iam not even a nadal/tsonga fan. i only like the tennis.

Lots of top players use the racquet closest in feel to the ones they used when they were just coming up, simply because they're used to it and it's not exactly wise constantly changing equipment when you play at that level.

Fedace
09-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Kobra tour is pretty powerful frame. I guess he is taking a similar approach as Nadal.... using light and powerful racket to achieve very high swing speeds.

shayke
09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your posts... so buttom line, someone who own's it can recommend it?

shockwaveh
09-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Can someone help me out here? I am a 3.5 player and been using kblade tour 93 for about a year, then I started playing kblade 98 which improved my volley/serves dramaticly. But I missed my forehand on the kbt and I can't seem to direct the shoots as much as before, it seems to be late on timing maybe because of the 10pt vs. 6pt hl transition from kbt to k98, would the Kobra have everything from the k98 and the forehand from kbt? I'm seriously thinking about changing my rackets to Kobra. I have a good forehand (my friend said it's 4.0-4.5 level) two handed backhand.

sruckauf
09-10-2009, 12:17 PM

LMAO

As mean as that was.. damn I couldn't help but giggle a little.

MethodTennis
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
lol i love thread like these anoyying spam where everybody recomends something based on nothing. who cares if nadal uses the apd i use a racket from 99' and i beat ppl with the pure storm tour gt lol or what ever the latest racket is

barry
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Can someone help me out here? I am a 3.5 player and been using kblade tour 93 for about a year, then I started playing kblade 98 which improved my volley/serves dramaticly. But I missed my forehand on the kbt and I can't seem to direct the shoots as much as before, it seems to be late on timing maybe because of the 10pt vs. 6pt hl transition from kbt to k98, would the Kobra have everything from the k98 and the forehand from kbt? I'm seriously thinking about changing my rackets to Kobra. I have a good forehand (my friend said it's 4.0-4.5 level) two handed backhand.

I received a new cobra tour from TW to Demo, I also use the Kblade 98 and had a better forehand with the old N6.1 95. My comments on the Cobra tour are big, ugly, and dead. For something that size you would think it would be as lively as the Kblade 98, but it is one dead racket. Not sure how Tsonga gets all the power he does, but I for one did not like the frame.

I would stick with the Kblade 98 for couple more months, until Wilson announces the new rackets, then change which is what I plan on doing. Hopefully they will convert the K95 back to the N95 and leave it alone for a while. I do like the Kblade 98 better than other frames, Prince exo3 100 was my second choice.

FeVer
08-08-2010, 11:13 AM
This could be the best racquet ever made. Sounds crazy but I'm not kidding. I've worked in the tennis retail industry for almost a decade and I've play tested just about every frame that's been made in that time. My most recent frame before I found the Kobra Tour was the Original Aero Pro Drive without the cortex. I used the APD for 5 years and I felt that for a racquet that already suffered from a lack of feel, the cortex update was going in the wrong direction. The new APD GT is no better and to be honest, I don't want a big chunk of plastic in the throat of my frames...feels cheap. Still, all that said, the Aero Pro Drive was a fantastic stick...huge sweet spot, good power with plenty of control, good spin and fair maneuverability. Now with the Kobra Tour you have a frame that has the same big sweet spot that the APD has but it adds FEEL to the mix along with super maneuverability and even MORE SPIN! I can do absolutely anything with this racquet. I can put the serves where I want them with more confidence than ever before. I can hit the deepest most penetrating volleys or the most delicate drop volleys with ease. I can stand at the baseline and rip groundies all day without sweat or just spin an incredible angle shot off for a winner when I get bored of the rally. Some notes on performance: this frame seems best strung below the 60 pound upper limit for tension. It loves a 17g natural gut. The leather grip adds feedback but a nice Wilson true-grip adds a plushness to the frame's overall feel and is easier on the hands. In terms of looks, some have made negative comments but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think this frame is very good looking. The matte finish feels warm to the touch and it is purposefully thin coated and painted with 'low volatile organic compound' paint.

tlm
08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
I received a new cobra tour from TW to Demo, I also use the Kblade 98 and had a better forehand with the old N6.1 95. My comments on the Cobra tour are big, ugly, and dead. For something that size you would think it would be as lively as the Kblade 98, but it is one dead racket. Not sure how Tsonga gets all the power he does, but I for one did not like the frame.

I would stick with the Kblade 98 for couple more months, until Wilson announces the new rackets, then change which is what I plan on doing. Hopefully they will convert the K95 back to the N95 and leave it alone for a while. I do like the Kblade 98 better than other frames, Prince exo3 100 was my second choice.

I thought the kobra tour was way to powerful.What string
was in it?Rip control @95lbs. You must really need a
powerful stick if you think the kobra tour was dead.

atatu
08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
That's funny, because I thought it was dead also. I also thought it was very sluggish through the air.

tlm
08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
How can a racket that light+head light be sluggish?

pyrokid
08-08-2010, 07:51 PM
How can a racket that light+head light be sluggish?

Thick, wide beam, large headsize, really suspect weight distribution.

The team version was much better, and the second best player I know uses one.

tlm
08-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Thick, wide beam, large headsize, really suspect weight distribution.

The team version was much better, and the second best player I know uses one.

I agree about the team version, that is what i have
been using for the last year.I really like this racket,
it has great control+a lot of spin.
The tour version
to me was harsh+way to powerful for me.But i never
noticed it being hard to swing at all.You are right the
size can make a difference, but i dont believe it is much
different than the team.

ayuname
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
APDC has more power but feels tinny.
Kobra is flexier/softer but it feels so dull.
IMO.

CageTennisMasters
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Yea, that is all in the marketing. Most people buy the frame just cause pro uses it. Like People buy the K90 just cause they think Federer uses it but it is really a PJ... he really uses the Jack Kramer signature wood racket painted like the K factor 90. :)

Dude, the Wilson Jack Kramer Staff is the bomb! I call it the sledge hammerl. I got one on my 11th birthday (great choice for my age by the way lol). It was my very first "non-junior" racket I'm 35 now (time flies faster than a Roddick serve). Believe it or not, guess what I am playing with today, 24 years later? The very same "sledge hammer"(with new strings..) and I have yet to find a better racket for myself!!!

kevoT
01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Hardly any pro is using the racquet as advertised.

phnx90
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm getting tired of the ******s who insult your intelligence for believing the marketing. I bet they're the type of people who avoid certain racquets like the plague simply because it's marketed heavily and take false pride in getting racquets that are not only hard to find but probably don't suit them either. Forums like these don't exist to inflate our egos by insulting newcomers.

You can't blame someone for falling for marketing gimmicks, especially when they're new or don't have much to start on. Companies pay millions for their marketing campaigns, how's it necessarily anyone's fault that someone should believe it? In fact, starting with a popular racquet is often a good idea because popularity indicates norms, though I'll make an exception for Wilson 6.1 Tour 90s.

Marcus
01-08-2011, 11:30 PM

Add a leather grip to your 98 !!

You'll get some additional mass and achieve a more headlight balance more similar to the 93 tour

Mark

BU Bearcat
03-21-2011, 07:32 AM
this entire post made me lol

The Baseline
03-21-2011, 07:39 AM

I mean it is Rafael Nadal after all

Kal-El 34
03-21-2011, 11:51 AM

how does it look like a durable racket compared to anything else in its category? they are all hollow wide bodies, and thus is just as prone to breakage as any other hollow frame out there