PDA

View Full Version : What is the relationship between Technifibre and Bridgestone Tennis (Japan)

Mig1NC
09-06-2009, 03:48 AM
I have seen the Technifibre marque on the Bridgestone Tennis website while surfing the web, but I can't read Japanese.

http://www.bs-tennis.com/

Is Technifibre the export brand for BSTennis? Are the Bridgestone racquest really Technifibre?

vsbabolat
09-06-2009, 04:04 AM
I tend to think that Bridgestone Tennis is the Distributor of Tecnifibre in Japan. Tecnifibre is owned by Major Sports.
http://www.tecnifibre.com/en

Il Mostro
09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
TF and Bridgestone are also partners in TF's tennis ball factory located in Thailand. TF originally owned and operated an existing factory, then brought in Bridgestone to form a JV. Very close relationships between the two companies. Remember, TF's technical expertise goes far beyond what you see on the court. TF, as we know it now, entered the string business when Major merged with Cousins Frerer in the 80's (think fibre optics and Airbus components as examples of what CF does). So, TF has always had a history of JV's with tech-savvy companies. Bridgestone has, in fact, been the exclusive master distributor of TF equipment in Japan.

Mig1NC
09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

So, I was trying to match up the Bridgestone branded racquets with TF's and I don't see a 1:1 matchup.

I'm wondering if BS has some racquest made by TF to their own specifications and sold under their brand.

Il Mostro
09-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

So, I was trying to match up the Bridgestone branded racquets with TF's and I don't see a 1:1 matchup.

I'm wondering if BS has some racquest made by TF to their own specifications and sold under their brand.

Nope. No crossover in that way. Bridgestone makes their own racquets (and tires and bicycles and golf clubs... you get the idea) and advertises them prominently in the Japanese tennis magazines. TF is not advertised in any way that is connected to Bridgestone. Promotions in Japan have been the same as I have seen in the Europe (i.e. the Duo Pack deal), so TF is using its worldwide (read: non North America) approach in terms of product lines and promos.

Edit: I forgot one non-equipment area where they appear to be sharing... the crews, shorts, jackets, etc. for BS and TF all look to be the same exact cuts. But that's about it.