PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Original Pro Staff 6.1 95 to ????

t135
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been using the PS original 6.1 95 for 15 years and want to move on to something new.

Want to get more angles, and little more spin. Still love the flex and power and weight of the 6.1. My head is spinning reading all the reviews.

Also want something in the $100 (or less) range.

The Fischer M Speed Pro #1 95 or 105 looks interesting. So does the Head Microgel Radical Extreme Pro and the Yonex RDS 002 Tour.

Any other former original Pro Staff original 6.1 95 players out there with hot tips?

2handsbothsides
09-06-2009, 01:33 PM
This classic frame is very tough to replace. POG's both mid and OS gave me more touch, angle and spin, but when fit I played best with the 6.1 classic which serves better and provides more put away capability.

fuzz nation
09-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the club...

Lots of empathy here because you're not alone. Looking for love beyond the 6.1 Classics is a tall order and several of us have chased our tails trying to do it - I think I put in about fifteen years with those racquets myself. Can't say I've ever played another frame that's quite like it.

If you like to crash the net like I do, then you've probably enjoyed that superior performance that the 6.1's deliver. Some players have said that the newer kSix-One 95's are a very good update of the Classic, but I've had only one brief demo with the "k". My memory of it was that it was familiar, but more stiff and maybe not as head-light in balance.

Expect the Fischer M Pro's to be lighter and softer than the old ProStaffs. Their heavier M-Comp 95 has some heft, but it's a much more mellow frame that might be more fun for a baseline grinder that ventures to net only on occasion. I've found the Yonex RDS 002 Tour to be a great frame for doubles and serve & volley work, but I needed more dramatic swings across the ball to get the spin I wanted with them. Very nice frame though.

One option to look into might be Yonex's newer RDiS 100 in mid or midplus layout. Yonex mids actually play larger than their headsizes might lead you to believe and could be worth reading up on.

I've looked for a slightly softer alternative to my Wilsons and the racquets that I really love these days are my Volkl C10 Pro 98's. They're different animals compared with the 6.1 Classics, especially with their softer hoops, and I'm definitely more consistent with them at the baseline. With a snug stringbed of 17 gauge syn. gut, I enjoy confidence inspiring all-court performance, no shortage of power or spin, and these softer racquets are easier on my arm (never had tennis elbow, though).

I've acquired a number of racquets from the classifieds here on these boards and that might be the smart route for you to get your hands on some gear. Plenty of reliable sellers here.

t135
09-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Dang, I wasn't wanting to hear that. I forgot about the C10 Pro, those look interesting too.

Every other Wilson 6.1 'whatever' I've ever hit with has just been too head heavy. I've always been interested in Yonex. The RD-7 was a cool racquet.

Blask
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I went through the same search process after putting down my PSC6.1's - tested many frames - a lot of Babs, 3 different Prince frames, the C10 Pro, 2 Yonex frames, a few different Wilsons, the Fischer M PRO and some others I can't remember.

I tried to get away from Wilson and I couldn't. I have been playing with the K6.1 for about a year now and love it.

t135
09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Oops, I meant Pro Staff Original 6.0 95!