PDA

View Full Version : New Frame: Looking to add some power

mark1
09-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm about a 3.5 to 4.0 player. Probably closer to 3.5 at this point since im still getting back into playing shape after a long layoff. But i have been an effective 4.0 player in the past and hope to soon be again.

Im a bigger guy at 5'10 190 and also powerlift as a hobby, so dont have issues with strength.

I have a short backswing on my forehand and backhand, and am looking for a frame that is a bit more spin friendly and adds some power to my game in my transition game and defensive shots. I also end up at the net a decent amount and play some doubles so i like to have a manueverable frame for net play.

Recently i have hit with the dunlop aerogel 300g and 500g. I loved the weight and manueverability of the 300g, it was perfect. 300 didnt have the power or the spin generation i was looking for though. I loved the spin generation of the 500g, it was phenomenal.

I am not sure what to look at that can offer the spin of the 500g, in a slightly heavier more stable package that is effective at net.

Any help in picking some frames for demo would be great!

EDIT: part of the reason i am looking to change frames is that i have made the choice to go to a smaller grip size after i had a lot of success with using a smaller grip with my style of play. i currently dont own any frames with the new smaller grip size

fuzz nation
09-06-2009, 11:06 AM
A little 3/9 o'clock lead on the hoop of the 500 might make it nice and stable. You can always counter-balance that with some lead under the grip to keep the same balance and handling behavior.

If you tried it and loved it, try it again to see if the thrill is still there. If not, hey, the 300 was perfect! (couldn't resist)

furyoku_tennis
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
try experimenting with lead tape on both racquets and see if it helps.

meowmix
09-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Try the AG 500 Tour. Sounds like something you'd be interested in.

LafayetteHitter
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Mark, don't rule out the new Pure Drive GT Roddick STD length.

mark1
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
LH was that the roddick version i hit with?

id like to maybe try the lighter version if so, might have less pop and be a little quicker at net

decided to go down to 4 1/4 on the grip size with an overgrip.

thanks for the suggestions guys, will try some of those things out

prjacobs
09-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Mark, for what it's worth. I love the 4D 500 tour. We're all different, but I found the pure drive Roddick to have no feel, compared to the 4D 500 tour. It felt like a club in my hand. I also have demoed the pure drive GT, the Becker Pro and the Volkl Powerbridge 8. All similar in theory to the 4D 500 tour, but for me the 4D 500 tour was by far the best. I agree about the spin generation. I kept swinging harder and the ball stayed in. I'm still demoing more frames, because I just get that way about racquets - and I love trying new frames, but the bar has been set very high with the 4D 500 tour. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I find something that works better for me. Good luck.

Bengt
09-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Guys, Mark says he's a powerlifter so why all the sub 12 oz racquet suggestions?

Try the Prince Graphite OS. Big sweetspot and very good plow-thru. It's not a toy.

purple-n-gold
09-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Babolat APDC with some lead, leather and Lux.

LafayetteHitter
09-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Mark that was the regular version of the GT that you tried not the Roddick.