PDA

View Full Version : Do you always hit your forehand with the same side of the racquet?

jyjyj
09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I have always ended up holding the racquet with one side being the forehand side -- usually a scrape or the paint job helps me identify it before I hit the court. Maybe it's a superstition thing. Before a point starts, I always return it to the same position.

But after playing with the same racquet for a number of years, the grip just seemed to crumple inside and conform to my hand -- one of the wide bevels was fine, but the other was caved in (where my fingertips approach the heel of my hand. Maybe I'm gripping too hard...)

It seems most guys here on the board change frames rather quickly and wouldn't develop this problem, but I wondered if others consistently hold their racquets the same direction -- with one always being the forehand/serve side?

Aside from creating a grip imprint, would this affect how long a set of strings would take to wear out or could it affect play at all? My forehand/serve is definitely putting more pressure on the strings since I can hit it harder...

Thoughts?

fattsoo
09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
No one, and I repeat NO ONE hits forehand on the same side all the time. Once the point gets going, you will not have enough time to think which side to hit it at

Rysty
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't do it. I like my racquets and grips wear and tear evenly.

But I heard Johnny Mac did like you do, and so does Robin Söderling.

Bengt
09-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I do in table tennis, but it sounds like OCD in real tennis.

MarrratSafin
09-06-2009, 03:35 PM
No one, and I repeat NO ONE hits forehand on the same side all the time. Once the point gets going, you will not have enough time to think which side to hit it at

I do:wink:, as I don't need to change my grip.

Grizvok
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Actually, I do. I can tell by the way my hand conforms to the grip.

ronalditop
09-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I used hit every stroke with just one side of the racquet when I didnt know how to wrap a grip correctly, so both sides of the grip felt different, one comfortable and the other not. But now that I know I wrap it in a way that both sides feel the same so I can hit with either side.

Mansewerz
09-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Soderling has his frames specially molded because he will always hit off the same side.

I personally hit off both sides.

DNShade
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Actually you are 100%, and I repeat 100% WRONG about this. Most pros and top players and even very good rec players - hit with the same side of the stick for forehands and the opposite side for backhands. It isn't about having time to remember which side it is - it's muscle memory - it just happens. Most - myself included - even spin the racquet without thinking about it and still catch it and hit and the same side. Call it superstition or just a tick - but it something that you just get used to doing. Now I'm not saying this is something you should aspire to do - it's just the way it seems to work out for quite a few.

And, as was mentioned above - many pros have custom grips that are made to fit their hand on one side only as well.

So fattsoo - just a suggestion...next time before you go and post some emphatic statement as if it's fact, you might want to actually know what you are talking about. Now I'm not trying to be a jerk here, and no offense meant, but this is part of the problem with message boards. People post things like they are experts (when they are clearly not), and then people who are seriously looking for information or help get bad info, and since they don't know any better - they then take what they read as gospel thinking it's correct because someone typed it and then they go and post it to the next person looking for info on the same subject, and on and on.

jwbarrientos
09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Holy crap I do realize racquets has two sides :shock:

imalil2gangsta4u
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I dont know for sure, but im going to guess i dont since im focused so hard during points.

redfred
09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
nope,cause everytime i hit the ball,i spin the racquet in my hand,sorta like nadal,to keep my hands loose.

Grizvok
09-06-2009, 06:06 PM
nope,cause everytime i hit the ball,i spin the racquet in my hand,sorta like nadal,to keep my hands loose.

Me too, but it always stays on the same side!

quest01
09-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I always hit off both sides. The last thing I pay attention to while playing a match is which side of the frame I'm hitting my forehands on.

AznRamenDude
09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Yep. I hit my forhand with the same side. It's not that uncommon. And yeah, I do spin my racquets between points at times and I always can't it on the same side. I just know how much I need to spin it just for one rotation. It's a habit built up over time so it's normal. I can also tell by the feel of my grip on which side I'm holding as well.

CHOcobo
09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
what a waste of concentration.......if anybody does do it.

DNShade
09-06-2009, 08:05 PM

No concentration involved. As I said, it's muscle memory - happens pretty much unconsciously and seems to just happen when you have played for a very long time. Most pros do it. Long time players tend to get preferences in the handle, grip, which side is "up" etc. Just happens. As a matter of fact, when pros get their handle customized, the first thing a place like P1 or something does is ask what is your favorite stick - favorite handle you use - and which side you hold it on etc. They then match all the other rackets to that handle, shape, imperfections, etc...

Vermillion
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I used hit every stroke with just one side of the racquet when I didnt know how to wrap a grip correctly, so both sides of the grip felt different, one comfortable and the other not. But now that I know I wrap it in a way that both sides feel the same so I can hit with either side.

how do you do this lol?

pictures please?

I fail to see how this would be possible... hmm

ronalditop
09-06-2009, 08:18 PM
how do you do this lol?

pictures please?

I fail to see how this would be possible... hmm

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=MDRYC&large=BK

In the link you can see that the grip is not symetrical, so one side will feel different than the other. What I do is wrap the grip to make it as symetrical as possible, so both sides feel about the same.

The_Question
09-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Usually will end up using one side of the frame, that's because I'm used a side of the grip...

Vermillion
09-06-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=MDRYC&large=BK

In the link you can see that the grip is not symetrical, so one side will feel different than the other. What I do is wrap the grip to make it as symetrical as possible, so both sides feel about the same.

but in order to have both sides feel the same in our hand, you'd have to move the hand either up or down to get "locked" into your fh grip. That's why I tend to favor one side over the other because it feels "right." Moreso than the other side, at least.

Grizvok
09-06-2009, 09:11 PM

No offense, but you (and many others in this thread) are just plain wrong. Don't say something if you don't know what it is you are talking about. I've know for a fact that PLENTY of top level ATP level players do this. Somebody mentioned it earlier but P1 and racquet customization companies often have players that want there grips to feel a certain way for their hand positioning on the racquet. The grips are actually molded in some way to produce a very similar feel for each stick so the players feel totally comfortable with it.

Way way wayyyyyyy more common than you guys seem to believe.

fattsoo
09-07-2009, 03:27 AM
First off DNShade, this is an open forum, which means anyone can give their thoughts...second off, if u are saying you hit with the same side "100 %" of the time, I'm saying u are are living a dream. I give my thoughts and you give yours. There is always different opinions to every questions, even proven facts is still being argued by millions. I am not taking this in any way personally, but please respect other people's opinion.

As I say before, you might hit one aide of the racquet more than other, but if u say ALL the time, I'm saying you are a lier. There is just not enough time (or wastes energy) to hit on one side. An don't tell me it is muscle memory, if your grip is not on the same side when the ball is coming your way and you need to return it, you'll hit it any grip you can...this is call natural reaction and it over rides your muscle memory...this is call fight or flight...your body will do any way it can to survive, even if it is as little as a tennis point...thanks for your time.

Fattsoo

fattsoo
09-07-2009, 03:35 AM
And oh yeah, if you think I'm BS-ing...I would love to see a player not hit a ball because he/she is not on the correct side...just forfeit the point? Would to see that during a tennis match

jmverdugo
09-07-2009, 04:34 AM
First off DNShade, this is an open forum, which means anyone can give their thoughts...second off, if u are saying you hit with the same side "100 %" of the time, I'm saying u are are living a dream. I give my thoughts and you give yours. There is always different opinions to every questions, even proven facts is still being argued by millions. I am not taking this in any way personally, but please respect other people's opinion.

As I say before, you might hit one aide of the racquet more than other, but if u say ALL the time, I'm saying you are a lier. There is just not enough time (or wastes energy) to hit on one side. An don't tell me it is muscle memory, if your grip is not on the same side when the ball is coming your way and you need to return it, you'll hit it any grip you can...this is call natural reaction and it over rides your muscle memory...this is call fight or flight...your body will do any way it can to survive, even if it is as little as a tennis point...thanks for your time.

Fattsoo

I do not pay attention to it, but I do have some friends that always hit the fh with one side and the bh with the other side. why it is imposible?, if you do not spin your racquet you can definitely hit with the same side every ball, I do not see the problem. Actually if you do not spin your racket on your hand most likely you hit with the same side of the racket everytime within a point.

Lefty78
09-07-2009, 05:22 AM

Sorry fattsoo, but you are incredibly mistaken. Many players do this EVERY time.

I have had the chance to personally see the grip molds of several dozen famous professionals. You would be surprised how many of those grips are asymmetrical, some of them not just a little bit. One former world #1 players' grips were so asymmetrical, it would be almost impossible to grip the thing backwards.

For my game, the ONLY circumstance under which I could possibly hit the ball with the opposite side would be if I accidentally dropped the racquet during the point and had to scramble to pick it up quickly. I don't twirl the racquet, so there's no need for muscle memory or whatever. At the start of a point, I hold the racquet one side up, and I change between forehand and backhand grips without any problem. The scenario you described about having to grip it however you can when the ball is on its way... it sounds like the kind of error that only happens to hackers.

Moreover, you asked another poster to respect your opinion, and then proceeded to call him a liar. Keep up the good work.

Gorecki
09-07-2009, 05:37 AM
nope... and i find it odd to say the least, but then again, it's about what your find most confortable! so if it pleases you, do it! as simple as that!

Grizvok
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Fattsoo

Just stop posting, thanks. You were wrong.

JJK947
09-07-2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/view...MDRYC&large=BK

I have always done this and wondered about how many other people do it as well. For those that do it, the grip just feels different from side to side so even if after twirling the racquet, I would feel that i was on the wrong side and switch. I always put my palm on the "flat" side for my forehand (the left side in the above example) and rotate counter-clockwise for the backhand. It just feels better and more consistent.

iTennis
09-07-2009, 08:26 AM
My sticks are symmetrical so never care which side for which wing... besides having a custom grip shape, what is the benefit of hitting forehand only in one side anyway?

gslefeb
09-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Read this thread yesterday; Thought it was strange to hit the FH on the same side of the racquet each time. But went out to play today - Now I did not check every point, but when I did check - I noticed the "aerogel" always facing up. (the 300 is on the other side). I do spin the racquet.

Grizvok
09-07-2009, 09:36 AM
My sticks are symmetrical so never care which side for which wing... besides having a custom grip shape, what is the benefit of hitting forehand only in one side anyway?

Since my grip is not totally symmetrical, my hand just feels at home on one certain side of my i.Prestige when hitting the forehand stroke. I don't even have to look to know which side I'm holding because my hand really does conform to the grip in a special way that I'm accustomed to.

Besides that there is absolutely no advantage. It's simply a comfort thing because of how it feels.

VGP
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
A professional player that's easy to tell if they hit forehands and serves with one side of the racket and backhands with the other is Jimmy Connors.

He used to lead up his rackets at 12 and 9 o'clock. 9 being the up side if you're holding the racket out on his lefty forehands side. That was always his preference.

It's not that hard to do. I always hold my racket the same way. I even place the overgrip so that there's an overlap right where my thumb knuckle will rest for all shots. Plus I don't spin my racket.

Ok, I won't talk in absolutes. But I'd say it's 99.99% of the time I hold and hit my shots each with one side of the racket.

ronalditop
09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Since my grip is not totally symmetrical, my hand just feels at home on one certain side of my i.Prestige when hitting the forehand stroke. I don't even have to look to know which side I'm holding because my hand really does conform to the grip in a special way that I'm accustomed to.

Besides that there is absolutely no advantage. It's simply a comfort thing because of how it feels.

I think there is an advantage in holding the racquet always on the one side of the racquet that feels better, and it is that you get a better grip of the racquet, it feels more natural so you feel relaxed, its like your hand is locked onto the handle. When I try to hold the racquet by the opposite side, I feel like I have to focus on holding the racquet tight because if not it can easily move out of place and twist, especially when returning heavy shots.

Venetian
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Fattsoo

I'm going to have to agree with all these other guys in saying you are not correct. I also hit each of my shots with the same side of the racquet. It's not very hard to accomplish. I can easily feel the difference and adjust it quickly if need be. It's all about feel and preference.

Zielmann
09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Here's my evidence to ward off the two main arguments against this: that it's not possible to use the same side all the time, as well as it taking too much concentration.

http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/34165/2607454390103580271S200x200Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2607454390103580271fssJRv)

Tis one of my frames. With that kind of paint job, how can you NOT be aware of which side you're using at any given time? I always use the black side for serves/forehands, white side for volleys. The only concentration involved is making sure that I have it facing the right way at the start of the point. Since I don't spin my frames during the point, they always stay the same...

So yeah, since I got these things years ago, I've always used them this way. I've switched it up before, and it just doesn't feel right. But that's probably just my OCD talking.

To address the issues with the grip deforming... I haven't noticed anything. And I've been using the one frame for 6 or 7 years now.

DNShade
09-07-2009, 12:28 PM

Fattsoo
Yes, this is an open forum and anyone, yes anyone - can give their thoughts no matter how wrong or misguided they are. That's kind of the point I was trying to make earlier. And I have no problem respecting other people's opinions, but you weren't stating your opinion you were saying it as fact - that no one hits on the same side every time - and that just isn't true.

So, are you starting to see how totally wrong you are by all the other posts by other people? You could not be more wrong, okay? You stated something out here that you thought was correct, and other people who are much more knowledgeable on this subject have pointed out that you are totally incorrect.

Yes, I hold the stick that same way up every time - and hit on the same side for the forehand and the opposite for the backhand - as do many top pros - and yes I know and hit with them quite often and have for many, many years. It is quite common - and for top level players I actually it think it is more common to do this than the opposite actually. Ever wonder why often the stencil is facing that same way every time a player hits his forehand? Maybe you should pay attention a bit more and you'd see how common it is.

Again, there is zero advantage to doing this (other than a comfort level) and I'm not saying you should do this at all - just saying that it is something many, many good players end up doing. You just get used to the way the grip (or overgrip) feels on one side and that's the way you hold it. Then of course there are all the pros with custom grips where they can only hold the racket one way.

Fattsoo

First of all, I'm not a "lier" - or even a liar. But thanks for calling me that. Very nice. Yes, I do it EVERY TIME - unless I drop the racket or something major happens. You have plenty of time - even returning serve, at net, or anywhere - and you don't even think about it. It's called feel and just happens unconsciously. Do you have to think about how you are going to hit topspin or slice? Or change your grip for a backhand? The fact that you bring up not having enough time tells me that you obviously haven't played a great deal or at a very high level or you would know this already. It's all muscle memory - no thinking required.

And if you want to see someone hit hit with the same side every time - just come out to the LA Tennis Center at UCLA - stadium court - almost any day and I'll be out there with whatever pros are in town training and you can watch all of us. Or just let me know and I'll meet you out there.

pow
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I do for the most part because my fingers have made grooves into the grip and it feels more natural as a result.

Skywalker91
09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I didn't think I did but when I stenciled my strings I noticed the ink wore off one side A LOT more than the other

zeratul90
09-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I do it, but mostly because of the way I wrap my overgrip. On one side it feels comfortable, the other not so much. I don't spin my racquet so I just tilt it up one bevel to continental (bh and serves) or back one down to western for my forehand, those are the only 2 bevels my right hand will pretty much ever touch when I play.

fattsoo
09-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Just stop posting, thanks. You were wrong.

If I'm wrong then I'll take it like a man. But unless there is a research and written article in a magazine article (tennis magazine?) then I'll stick with my view.

And thanks Grizvok for tellin me what to do, would you like me to raise my hand too everytime I have an opinion? I have one for u If u allowed me to say it almighty!

Venetian
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
If I'm wrong then I'll take it like a man. But unless there is a research and written article in a magazine article (tennis magazine?) then I'll stick with my view.

And thanks Grizvok for tellin me what to do, would you like me to raise my hand too everytime I have an opinion? I have one for u If u allowed me to say it almighty!

Your opinion is completely uninformed. You're claiming to KNOW how multiple people who you've never met are holding their tennis racquets. That's a pretty dumb thing to have an opinion about without any reason for it. You might as well just accept what everyone else in this thread is telling you.

DNShade
09-07-2009, 04:10 PM

There is no "if" about it. You are wrong. Your "view" is just plain incorrect. Period. Many people - myself included - who know much more about this than you - are telling you this. Just because in your "view" water isn't H20, doesn't make it any less so.

Ask any professional racquet customizer - P1, RPNY, Bosworth etc. and they'll all tell you the exact same thing we are. Or you could just talk to some very good players or pros in person if you know any. Not sure if there are any articles written on it because it's pretty common knowledge - and ultimately it doesn't really make any difference.

But you are wrong, and that is 100% fact.

Zielmann
09-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Please note the inherent contradiction you've given us, highlighted by first the bold section, and then the underlined section of your quote.

Want research? Start with this thread. Here, you've got a number of people saying that they always use the same face of the racquet for shots off one side, myself included. In my last post, I put up some photo evidence supporting my claim. And I can tell you that from the first time I used those frames (even while demoing) I used the black side for forehands. I have used the white side for forehands before, but you could count the number of times I've done that on one hand. And all were intentional.

Even on my old PRTi, I always keep the side of the throat with 'Prince' marked on it facing up. I don't think I did this until I had the MCDB 800's though. Those started my OCD about this, and I doubt it'll ever go away. Even after I move on to something else that doesn't make the difference so obvious.

And there's plenty of others who are saying they do the same thing. So it's not a printed article in a magazine. But you're getting testimonials from real players (which is what an article over this would likely be based off of anyhow). You can't just discount everything that we're saying just because it goes against your initial thought on the topic.

darthpwner
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Yea on my k6.1, I always use the side with Federer's signature facing me. It feels more naturally since the grip is worn in

Ucantplay2much
09-07-2009, 09:00 PM
No one, and I repeat NO ONE hits forehand on the same side all the time.

Even before I started using contour grips, I found that I prefer to place my hand so that my ring finger is in a groove in the grip and it only does that on one side when my hand is placed at the lowest comfortable point on the handle. My thumb quickly creates a wear spot on the grip and I start every point with my thumb on that wear spot. Notice the total lack of wear on the other side of the grip. I don't spin my racquet, so there's no reason at all why it would change positions during a point.

Worn forehand side of grip:
http://bbx7vw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8AVxBFrkN8xgYaBcC643zwek_njzQmhz1E0BqK8UNMWq6Tg SPjPkjKc1KHW65Zz1oS63MP-p1dcrwkn8B7T4dT_uH5QuHyWu/100_0829.jpg

Backhand side of same grip:
http://bbx7vw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pFl81wXzKWFEznz0_g_gc4QqnqgbKcvXdDx9UeAq7sY-YyImp7tWAq4GxIorzce-o7FVZZQVo8684UdB3MMpVEDOoIFJjIoFj/100_0830.jpg

DNShade
09-08-2009, 04:09 AM

Here you go...Robin Soderling's racquet. That name ring any bells?

http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/200903soderling_head.html

"Something you can't see in this photo is that the grip is not symmetrical. Because Robin always holds his racquet with the same edge up, the base of the pallet in the flared area has a tiny bit more room for the tip of his little finger than does the other side of the pallet."

Okay. So are we done now?

Here endith the lesson.

v1rotate
09-08-2009, 05:10 PM
First of all, I can't believe no one has mentioned Rger Federer hitting with one side for forehand and the other for his backhand. I challenge anyone to find a picture where on hitting his forehand, the little tail of the Wilson "W" is not topside and also with the tail of the "W" topside on the backhand. Sure he spins his racket before receiving serve but he always spins it back to the same side. I'm sure the same goes for Nadal as he is the most OCD player on tour.

There's no advantage to this, it's just how players are. I use only one side for the forehand and the other for the backhand. It doesn't make me a better player, it's just how I play. I also have the racket strung with the logo on the butt cap facing up and the stencil the same orientation always.

DNShade
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Well put. I said this earlier that all you have to do is look at a lot of pros to see that their stencils seem to always face the same way and the same stroke. I wasn't referring to Roger specifically - since to be honest I never really paid attention - but it doesn't surprise me in the least that Roger does this too. As I said above a few different times - it's just something that most top level players seem to do. Just habit.

stormholloway
09-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I always hit my forehand on the stringy side.

scs96ajr
09-09-2009, 03:38 AM
I always hit with the same side. Once I get new rackets I decide which way is going to be up. It is pure superstition if you like, but I have always done it. My grips are always worn out the same way.

It helps me to concentrate, I have something trivial to think about when I am about to serve or receive. I do spin the racket and the hand "knows" if it is the right side instinctively, I suppose that if the racket is on the wrong orientation it feels "colder" to the fingers.

Kirko
09-09-2009, 06:30 AM

pick up any racket and the way the grip feels dictates how you hold & use it. its an odd feeling to do otherwise for me. doing it for decades.

gunnd5000
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
fattsoo's posts dopnt ever really seem to help any one ive never seen him post something usefull or helpfull. If you dont spin the racket in your hands then ull hit with the same side every single time

v1rotate
09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I just watched the Nadal-Monfils match and was very surprised to see Nadal hit off both sides of the racket for his forehand and backhand. The new paintjob is asymetric so it was easy to tell which edge was topside. Here I was thinking he had an OCD!!! Federer is more OCD about racket orientation than Nadal it would seem.

callen3615
09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I always try to hit on one side because of the way the grip fits my hand.

callen3615
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Even before I started using contour grips, I found that I prefer to place my hand so that my ring finger is in a groove in the grip and it only does that on one side when my hand is placed at the lowest comfortable point on the handle. My thumb quickly creates a wear spot on the grip and I start every point with my thumb on that wear spot. Notice the total lack of wear on the other side of the grip. I don't spin my racquet, so there's no reason at all why it would change positions during a point.

Worn forehand side of grip:
http://bbx7vw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8AVxBFrkN8xgYaBcC643zwek_njzQmhz1E0BqK8UNMWq6Tg SPjPkjKc1KHW65Zz1oS63MP-p1dcrwkn8B7T4dT_uH5QuHyWu/100_0829.jpg

Backhand side of same grip:
http://bbx7vw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pFl81wXzKWFEznz0_g_gc4QqnqgbKcvXdDx9UeAq7sY-YyImp7tWAq4GxIorzce-o7FVZZQVo8684UdB3MMpVEDOoIFJjIoFj/100_0830.jpg

Thats exactly what I do.

Kirko
09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Kriek vs Connors and Kreik would twirl his racket while waiting of Connors to serve and Barry Mckay commented on how he was able to get the "grip" right before the serve. Mckay said theres just a certain way that grips are wrapped that a player any level feels its right.

Storm_Kyori
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Well I'm an exception, because I do this. I have just gotten used to hitting it on the same said. Either it's muscle memory or the fact that I have 2 overgrips under the third I take off which makes the feel differet from each side I hold it.

Exactly what I was trying to say in my first sentence.

DNShade
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Well I'm an exception, because I do this.

As it turns out and as I said - you not really the exception at all since many if not most top players do this as well.

movdqa
09-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I find the grip or overgrip gets compressed and that I hit everything on the same side. I just hold it the correct way (when it feels comfortable) at the start of the point and then hold it that way for the whole point.

eagle
09-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Personally, I do hit one side for FH and the other for BH. Why? The overlaps from the overgrip create a "comfort" crease on the handle where my grip feels comfortable. It becomes the home position so to speak. That comfort crease is present only on one side of the racquet. Hence, the reason for me hitting one stroke on one side and the other side for another.

2 cents.

r,
eagle

movdqa
09-10-2009, 07:31 AM
If you hit mainly topspin shots and use the same side all of the time, your strings will tend to pull to one side over time.

Storm_Kyori
09-10-2009, 07:45 AM
As it turns out and as I said - you not really the exception at all since many if not most top players do this as well.

I know that, as I was being sarcastic towards the poster saying that NO ONE does it. I quoted his post and then put my response.

Zielmann
09-10-2009, 08:17 AM
If you hit mainly topspin shots and use the same side all of the time, your strings will tend to pull to one side over time.

Just pop 'em back into place then. I string pretty tight, so I don't notice this quite as much as some might. But it does happen.

FedererClone
09-10-2009, 08:21 AM
If you utilize one side of the frame for FH & BH, isn't it actually a bad thing? Sure, if you're changing frames every new ball change in the upper echelon of the the tennis world it ain't gonna matter, but us mere mortals hit with our beloved racquets until the strings break, get re-strung and continue the onslaught...

So, it begs the question, is it worthwhile hitting with one side? Is there anything beyond the psychological advantage of doing this? Sure, if the grip feels a certain way and is comfortable I can understand - to an extent. But placing constant pressure on one side may have its disadvantages over time. Does a frame perform better on one side than the other? Is this the reasoning? Or mere superstition...

Does anyone think, as one post above mentions re: constant topspin, that it places too much pressure over time on the frame? Or, with modern materials such as Graphite Kevlar etc... it doesn't impinge upon performance?

movdqa
09-10-2009, 08:30 AM
One of the things about serving for me is to get the rhythm and timing right and then the serve just flows out. For me, that means bouncing the ball four times in a particular pattern and then the rest of the motion. If something is out of place, my serve suffers. Planting my hand on the right side of the grip is part of that. My guess is that this aspect is purely psychological but if it works, I'm just going to do it.

FedererClone
09-10-2009, 02:30 PM
One of the things about serving for me is to get the rhythm and timing right and then the serve just flows out. For me, that means bouncing the ball four times in a particular pattern and then the rest of the motion. If something is out of place, my serve suffers. Planting my hand on the right side of the grip is part of that. My guess is that this aspect is purely psychological but if it works, I'm just going to do it.

On a side note, how do you find the KPS compared to the K90? Thx

movdqa
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
> On a side note, how do you find the KPS compared to the K90?

More stable, more comfortable, more power, more spin.

I went from the K90 to the Pure Drive Roddick. I loved the extra power and spin, especially on the forehand and the serve. I had some problems with it on the one-handed backhand and the occasional jarring mishit. I also wanted something with more weight but adding weight to the PDR really affected control.

I like the K90 as well, good power, good spin, good control. The KPS88 has the power and spin potential of the PDR, maybe more, allows me to hit the one-handed backhand more comfortably and doesn't have the jarring issues that the PDR has. This is at the expense of a heavier frame and some maneuverability but switching to the KPS coincided with a much improved fitness regimen.

Court Valkyrie
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I hit the forehand and the backhand (onehanded) with the same side without even rotating the racquet in my hand. I just roll hand over top of the grip.

Alafter
09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
When your fingers are so fat, you prolly cant tell where you are gripping. That is indeed true. Other related problems include not being able to read the bathroom scale. But on the court, most of the problem comes from concentrating to stay alive as you wheeze heavily into the 5th minute, trying to catch that killer 10 mph crosscourt shot your opponent just sent to you. Thus, there is no time for small things like grip, especially when you cant feel it anyways.

KEEP TRYING. TEH SUN WILL SHINE TOMORROW.

Mongolmike
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Dude, admit you are wrong. You are coming across very childish.

For the record, I too would've been surprised to hear so many people hit with the same side FH vs BH 100%, mostly because I spin my racquet during ralleys all the time and never paid any attention to what side was up. I had a Prince Attack 920 with one side silver, one side blue... it never mattered to me which side was where, even on serves. My grip wears evenly all around... probably because of the spinning too.

Point is, I learned something... no problem. Maybe try opening your mind before you open your mouth, but at the least, admit you spoke incorrectly?

Team China
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM
It isn't uncommon to be hitting on the ball on the same side of the racket most of the time or in fact all the time. It usually depends on your preference of feel of your grip.
I grip my racket the same way all most of the time so i developed a feel for that so as a result I utilized 1 side of my racket for my forehand and the other for my backhand.

matchmaker
09-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I always watch the top side of the beam on the racquet, so I am pretty sure I always hit with the same side, both for FH's as for BH's. Not that I think it is any better, it is just a habit.

Ken Honecker
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I always used the same side. It was pretty easy to tell until at about the 10 year point the 4 1/2L sticker fell off. I don't spin my racquet much any more but still feel like I'm using the same side.

Applesauceman
09-11-2009, 03:53 AM

The bevels on the handle near the buttcap of my racquet feel different, so I ALWAYS know that I'm hitting the forehand on the same side all the time. Call me Mr. No One.

Zielmann
09-11-2009, 04:37 AM
If you utilize one side of the frame for FH & BH, isn't it actually a bad thing? Sure, if you're changing frames every new ball change in the upper echelon of the the tennis world it ain't gonna matter, but us mere mortals hit with our beloved racquets until the strings break, get re-strung and continue the onslaught...

So, it begs the question, is it worthwhile hitting with one side? Is there anything beyond the psychological advantage of doing this? Sure, if the grip feels a certain way and is comfortable I can understand - to an extent. But placing constant pressure on one side may have its disadvantages over time. Does a frame perform better on one side than the other? Is this the reasoning? Or mere superstition...

Does anyone think, as one post above mentions re: constant topspin, that it places too much pressure over time on the frame? Or, with modern materials such as Graphite Kevlar etc... it doesn't impinge upon performance?

Same answer to this as to the classic 'how long before frames die' question. None of us play enough and hit hard enough for this kind of thing to be an issue. Also, it's not like I'm always using the same side for both FH and BH. So both faces are getting used. It's just that one face is for FH, the other for BH.

You know, I actually wondered this same thing after i'd been doing this for a couple years. I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter. That, and it was too ingrained into my game at that point that there was no way I'd be able to change it.

But it is purely a mental thing, unless you've customized your frame so it's no longer symmetrical. But I doubt that many of us here have done that. I wouldn't even call it a 'psychological advantage'. More like a psychological necessity (for me at least), like having a consistent pre-serve routine.

movdqa
09-11-2009, 05:46 AM
I've been doing this for a long time and with my 30 year old Head Pro aluminum frames and they're still fine after all these years.

FedererClone
09-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Same answer to this as to the classic 'how long before frames die' question. None of us play enough and hit hard enough for this kind of thing to be an issue. Also, it's not like I'm always using the same side for both FH and BH. So both faces are getting used. It's just that one face is for FH, the other for BH.

You know, I actually wondered this same thing after i'd been doing this for a couple years. I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter. That, and it was too ingrained into my game at that point that there was no way I'd be able to change it.

But it is purely a mental thing, unless you've customized your frame so it's no longer symmetrical. But I doubt that many of us here have done that. I wouldn't even call it a 'psychological advantage'. More like a psychological necessity (for me at least), like having a consistent pre-serve routine.

Does anyone actually hit both FH and BH on one side?

Zielmann
09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Does anyone actually hit both FH and BH on one side?

I kinda doubt that. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant. If somebody did that, then some of these arguments against it would make sense. That would require some extra concentration in the middle of the point, as well as extraneous racquet spinning...

mozzer
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I do. Its doesnt make me lose concentration, but my hand feels more comfortable on one side of the grip than the other.

FedererClone
09-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I kinda doubt that. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant. If somebody did that, then some of these arguments against it would make sense. That would require some extra concentration in the middle of the point, as well as extraneous racquet spinning...

yeah - agreed. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

madmanfool
09-12-2009, 02:49 AM
See old thread.. this has already been discussed..
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=216781