PDA

View Full Version : When's the last time you've hit with a super-cheap frame?

Zielmann
09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Was out hitting with the family the other day (none of them are that great, but it was fun anyhow). Just for fun, I decided to switch frames with my sister. And I'm talking like a cheapo Wilson frame that you'd find at any big-box department store. But this thing is probably 10 years old now, and still has original strings on it... Very light, way oversized (guessing 115"), head heavy...)

It was... interesting. First few shots were just awful. But then I let myself really rip into one. It actually felt good on that shot. It didn't have the most impressive pace, but it had tons of spin. Found that especially surprising given the strings that were in it. Hit a few more points with it, and was surprised by how playable it seemed to be. Not like I'm gonna be switching or anything...

But I was very happy to change back to my normal frames. Just kinda curious if anybody else has had a similar experience if you've hit with any of these really crappy frames.

reesespiecestennis
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah I play good with them, they just aren't stiff enough to stand up to hard hitting.

mooimabear
09-06-2009, 03:32 PM
i just hit with one the other day, my sister took my racquet for a tournament so i borrowed my friends $30 models racquet...sadly i popped the strings after 20 minutes haha...although i must say it was quite fun, i could take big rips of the ball since the racquet was as light as a feather!

Zielmann
09-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Heh. I wouldn't say I played well with it, really. I really had to rip into it and make sure I put ample topspin on it, or there was no telling where the ball would end up. And I get more pace and better placement from my regular frames. But it was kinda fun to hit with for a bit.

On a similar note, I tried an old Wilson Junior woodie a few weeks back. With that, I had to really pay attention to what I was doing. But when I hit the sweetspot, it felt awesome. Once again, it had the original strings in it, and they were super-thick. I actually got decent spin with it, and was hitting nice and deep. Unfortunately, the grip was starting to come off (sliding around) so I had to put it down earlier than I wanted to.