PDA

View Full Version : The Coming Wilson FX Fed Replacement Racquet

Enlightened Coelacanth
09-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I was told by my long time friend and owner of a local tennis shop today that Wilson would soon be dropping the price on K-90 Federer frame to make way for new version due out in fall (the FX, or something like this).
Any confirmation on this or other information?

DoubleWindsor
09-06-2009, 07:13 PM
im pretty sure the fx is just for the tweener racquets, its already out. But i heard that wilson will be dropping a new line in january

lolitsanasian
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Man wth... You cant slap on FX on fed's racket... that kills the point of his frame... and its only 18mm thick...

The_Question
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
17mm...

Doubt Fed would use the FX...

jwbarrientos
09-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Many posts are saying that Wilson will release something new by AO 2010, probably Roger, Delpo, and Williams will be the first to play with the "new racquets".

If FX were the "new line" you saw that space/hole in racquets' throat would be something very different to these top players, particularly I'd love to see a new model for Delpo (Blue and Yellow would be perfect).

I suspect, as many, that at the begining Roger would go with a beautiful painting job, unless Wilson release the FX with the hole in the throat for Roger.

endbegin
09-07-2009, 07:38 AM
This is good - if it means the price on the K90 drops :)

W1L50N=B3A5T
09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
lol. how many people plan on purchasing this new wilson line?

stormholloway
09-08-2009, 04:23 PM
It seems odd that they would do an FX as a replacement since FX still falls under K Factor marketing. I don't think they would miss the opportunity to create a whole new marketing/technology scheme.

Enlightened Coelacanth
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
The FX designation isn't meant to imply a Wilson line that is settled in stone. My friend just couldn't recall the proper name of the new line.
But he is very "thrifty", as a shop owner should be, and he was none too thrilled giving me the old value on a trade in for the K-90s when he knew Wilson would soon be dropping prices on the K line of Federer frames to make way for the new Fed frames.

Fedace
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
What does this FX do anyway ?? does it make the racket more aerodynamic ???

jwbarrientos
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Believe me or not, I asked that to at a local store and the answer was ...

"FX line makes shots more... FX" :shock:

I am not sure what is worst... a car's seller or racquet one.8)

(K)evin
09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I was going to buy new K90s but I rather just wait till january :twisted:

I do wonder if Fed will use the FX I mean I know he likes classic stuff with the thin beam and all but maybe they figure out how to get enough space and use the FX tech for his new racquet? who really knows though :???:

(K)evin
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM

FX makes the racquet more stable the idea being four shafts in the throat is better than 2 and I believe they also multiplied the K Factor bonds in the graphite

Prostaffer
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
january should be the debut of the new line. it is not FX. that's all i can confirm, cuz that's all i was told. it's easy to just take a look at their normal time lines. i mean they have exhausted the K thing. how many new frames can they do with the K line?

i was unable to get whether it's a new tech or material that will be the basis for the new line.

jwbarrientos
09-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks ProStaffer for the info,

The only way I'll move quickly to the next line is a new Blue and Yellow goodlooking frame @ reasonable price :oops: or either some frame that come with MP3 or sth :mrgreen:

Don't see any of them coming 8)

BTW, It's amazing how the industry find the way to innovation, materials, names, marketing and thanksfully some performance improvement.

stormholloway
09-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Well if store owners are indeed being told to drop prices for K racquets then there must be something around the corner, and they're trying to dump their current supply.

MethodTennis
09-09-2009, 08:30 AM
feds racket will disintigrate when he trys to return roddicks serve if they put fx in it mabay some new fx rackets but i doubt a k90 fx

Fed Kennedy
09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
If I owned a shop I would ask wilson to offer a mp alongside the 90 both with fed sigs. I think it would sell well and be a great racquet. Roddick has two sig models and they seem to sell well.

DonBot
09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I would be happy if they put Kevlar back into their racquets and drop the goofy paintjobs.

kkm
09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I would be happy if they put Kevlar back into their racquets and drop the goofy paintjobs.

But there is Kevlar, 20%. The artwork is another story.

BreakPoint
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
BTW, It's amazing how the industry find the way to innovation, materials, names, marketing and thanksfully some performance improvement.
Or not.....

DonBot
09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
But there is Kevlar, 20%. The artwork is another story.

I may be a little cornfused, is carbon black Kevlar? My understanding was it is graphite. The 6.1 95 16x18 and 18x20 are ncoded graphite and carbon black according to the tw site, the tour is 20% Kevlar and the kps is 100% carbon black. I think the whole line should be 20% Kevlar. The n 6.1 95s had it and are spectacular in fact there is a huge secondary market for those raquets.

stevewcosta
09-10-2009, 04:49 AM
I was told by my long time friend and owner of a local tennis shop today that Wilson would soon be dropping the price on K-90 Federer frame to make way for new version due out in fall (the FX, or something like this).

Let's hope it's good like the 6.0 85, unlike the K.

movdqa
09-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I hope that they continue selling the KPS for the next ten years. I've finally settled on a racquet that I love after several years of looking and I'd hate to see a new line. KPS hasn't even been out that long.

I think that a little more stability for the K90 would be a good thing. One could just go for the KPS for the additional stability if weight wasn't a consideration.

chess9
09-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Believe me or not, I asked that to at a local store and the answer was ...

"FX line makes shots more... FX" :shock:

I am not sure what is worst... a car's seller or racquet one.8)

Trust me on this one, you can believe almost anything your local used car dealer tells you by comparison to what a racquet manufacturer tells you.

Port holes.
String holes.
Magnetic effects.
Karophite
Ad nauseam

-Robert

Enlightened Coelacanth
09-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I agree and am always skeptical about the marketing hocus pocus.
But new lines bring forth new frames and some of them feel pretty good, all hype notwithstanding.

So I always am eager to test out the new models.

sureshs
09-10-2009, 08:09 AM

My pro shop has already dropped the price to 179.

Enlightened Coelacanth
09-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes, I expect the new line to be out by year's end.

FedererClone
09-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I hope that they continue selling the KPS for the next ten years. I've finally settled on a racquet that I love after several years of looking and I'd hate to see a new line. KPS hasn't even been out that long.

I think that a little more stability for the K90 would be a good thing. One could just go for the KPS for the additional stability if weight wasn't a consideration.

KPS88 is the same frame size as the 6.0 95, a big neg for me when I demo'd it; as well as it hit, it felt too big, even with the supposed 88 head size. Also, for me, would have req'd weight in handle to approach the balance of the 6.0. K90 / N90 feel much better in terms of size and manoeuvrability...

sureshs
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Supposed to increase torsion resistance. But PJs will be easy to spot because of the hole in the shaft.

movdqa
09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
> KPS88 is the same frame size as the 6.0 95, a big neg for me when I
> demo'd it;

I have both the KPS88 and the K90 and put them together and they are near identical in size. I will compare the KPS88 to my old Dunlop MPs to see if I can see the difference.

> as well as it hit, it felt too big, even with the supposed 88 head size.

Maybe it just plays like a MP. The KPS88 certainly has a ton more power compared to the K90 and I find that you have to use a fair amount of topspin to keep the ball in the court. If you are used to hitting a flat ball, you'll have to make some adjustments to keep the ball in the court.

> Also, for me, would have req'd weight in handle to approach the
> balance of the 6.0. K90 / N90 feel much better in terms of size and
> manoeuvrability...

I tried that out shortly after getting the frames. I didn't like the loss
of maneuverability after adding the weight and I took it off and just
play them stock with an overgrip now. Ths six-points HL is a good
balance for S&V and back-court play. I like the extra heft returning
high backhands too.

I have frames stock at 12.7, 12.9 and 13.1 oz. Yesterday I started with
the 13.1 (13.3 with overgrip) and the person that I was hitting with hit
the ball harder than I'm used to so I dropped down to the 12.9 stock
model and that worked out well. My guess is that you could get a 12.5
oz KPS88 if you looked hard enough.

leonidas1982
09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
^^^Agree with you. I find myself using the reverse fh more often for my rally shot. And like you, I did add weight to the handle of my frames but I've since removed it--the backhand wasn't feeling it. Do you use a full poly job?

movdqa
09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Yup, full poly at low tension. It feels like a wonderful combination. There are other KPS88 players that like to string in the upper 60s or even higher. I guess they're using a different style of play.

betofranca
09-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Here in Mexico Tennis Warehouse start dropping the price as well like a month ago on the K90 I ask my friend there and he told me a new frame may come out soon...

leonidas1982
09-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Yup, full poly at low tension. It feels like a wonderful combination. There are other KPS88 players that like to string in the upper 60s or even higher. I guess they're using a different style of play.

One hopes the KPS 88 will not be affected.

FedererClone
09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
> KPS88 is the same frame size as the 6.0 95, a big neg for me when I
> demo'd it;

I have both the KPS88 and the K90 and put them together and they are near identical in size. I will compare the KPS88 to my old Dunlop MPs to see if I can see the difference.

> as well as it hit, it felt too big, even with the supposed 88 head size.

Maybe it just plays like a MP. The KPS88 certainly has a ton more power compared to the K90 and I find that you have to use a fair amount of topspin to keep the ball in the court. If you are used to hitting a flat ball, you'll have to make some adjustments to keep the ball in the court.

> Also, for me, would have req'd weight in handle to approach the
> balance of the 6.0. K90 / N90 feel much better in terms of size and
> manoeuvrability...

I tried that out shortly after getting the frames. I didn't like the loss
of maneuverability after adding the weight and I took it off and just
play them stock with an overgrip now. Ths six-points HL is a good
balance for S&V and back-court play. I like the extra heft returning
high backhands too.

I have frames stock at 12.7, 12.9 and 13.1 oz. Yesterday I started with
the 13.1 (13.3 with overgrip) and the person that I was hitting with hit
the ball harder than I'm used to so I dropped down to the 12.9 stock
model and that worked out well. My guess is that you could get a 12.5
oz KPS88 if you looked hard enough.

This is a really interesting response and I appreciate the comments.

KPS does outplay the 6.0 95 and the frame was definitely 'old school' in its feel on the ball. I was impressed...

but I am also currently utilizing an older 85 sq in Wilson Reflex frame as my main and have nabbed 4 such frames (for quite a cheap price BTW) to rotate and use. It's been tough moving back up in head size since I grooved with this, and I was hoping the KPS would be the one. (began w/ 95 went down to 93 POG then 90 Wilson then older 85s)

Maybe I need to demo different KPS stock weight. I can use lead tape to get the balance as my Wilson Reflex is 12.5 oz so your guess is quite accurate!

Others have suggested Volkl 10 frame also...

jwbarrientos
09-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Trust me on this one, you can believe almost anything your local used car dealer tells you by comparison to what a racquet manufacturer tells you.

Port holes.
String holes.
Magnetic effects.
Karophite
Ad nauseam

-Robert

LOL, yeah that speech they have is intriguing :mrgreen:

kkm
09-13-2009, 05:04 AM
I may be a little cornfused, is carbon black Kevlar? My understanding was it is graphite. The 6.1 95 16x18 and 18x20 are ncoded graphite and carbon black according to the tw site, the tour is 20% Kevlar and the kps is 100% carbon black. I think the whole line should be 20% Kevlar. The n 6.1 95s had it and are spectacular in fact there is a huge secondary market for those raquets.

Carbon black is not Kevlar, afaik. Thanks for pointing out the K6.1 95, I did not know that it does not have Kevlar. I am with you, I did prefer some Kevlar.

DonBot
09-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Carbon black is not Kevlar, afaik. Thanks for pointing out the K6.1 95, I did not know that it does not have Kevlar. I am with you, I did prefer some Kevlar.

It seems like that are a little more solid with it, I imagine they dropped it in the 95s due to price. I am sure the layup is way cheaper with straight pure graphite. I was intrigued by them dropping it in the kps too, I don't notice a huge difference in it vs a k90, but man does the ps85 have the perfect stiffness, balance, and feel. I really wonder why they would tinker with a winning formula.- well at least in their premier flagship line.

movdqa
09-13-2009, 05:19 AM
The KPS is stiffer and more stable than the K90 and I find it less harsh on mishits. That may be due to the additional mass or maybe it's due to the absence of Kevlar. At any rate, the additional mass probably gave Wilson more options on materials.

jazzyfunkybluesy
10-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I would like to see a KPS85 and KPS95 with exact specs of the originals along with Feds new racquet. The Pro Staff has so many followers that simply cannot wield a near 13 ounce racquet (KPS88). They are missing out on many sales I feel.