PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm LTD GT

mrmo1115
09-06-2009, 06:23 PM
How does this racquet play? And compared to Head's Prestige Line most notably the FXP (my racquet of choice)

Do you think that the grip change between Head and Babolat is a big one ?

What are your reviews on the racquet? Anything will be appreciated.

SlapShot
09-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe I can help on this. Played with the FXP Prestige for almost a year, and just changed to the PS LTD this week after dancing with many frames.

Not sure how the GT compares, but the older LTD is feel-wise close, but, IMHO, a bit "smoother". Not softer, per se, because it still feels pretty firm, but just thicker.

I didn't go back to the FXP due to the grip shape - I have found after much experimentation that the Babolat grip shape is more natural for my tennis.

Serves are just as big, I feel that I get more spin off of the Babolat, but it's still not a "spin monster". Directional control actually feels better on the Bab, and volleys are fantastic - I was able to really spot my volleys today, even after 2 1/2 hours of playing.

If the GT is anything like the original LTD, I'd say give it a demo - you might find a new partner. ;)

mrmo1115
09-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks SlapShot, I will try the PST GT out, but I am so accustomed to my Head grip shape that when I was so close to switching to a Dunlop, the grip shape just killed me and I couldn't hit the ball comfortably anymore.

Do you have any insight on the grip shape differences between Head and Babolat and whether its a big change? I believe the LTD's all have Leather grips.

Cup8489
09-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks SlapShot, I will try the PST GT out, but I am so accustomed to my Head grip shape that when I was so close to switching to a Dunlop, the grip shape just killed me and I couldn't hit the ball comfortably anymore.

Do you have any insight on the grip shape differences between Head and Babolat and whether its a big change? I believe the LTD's all have Leather grips.

the babolat grip shape is similar to a wilson, more squared off than a head grip. Head rackets are hard to get used to, and it's even harder to move on from them. one word of advice, though. you may want to throw some lead on the LTD, it's a tad underpowered stock compared to the Prestige line, even a little less than the Mids.

tennis.yellow.balls
09-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Not sure how the GT compares, but the older LTD is feel-wise close, but, IMHO, a bit "smoother". Not softer, per se, because it still feels pretty firm, but just thicker.

Hey SlapShot, thanks for your review. Do you think the stiffness of 59 that TW has on their specs information is true? Is it a softer racket than the Prestige? Most Babolat seem to be pretty stiff. Thanks.

SlapShot
09-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey SlapShot, thanks for your review. Do you think the stiffness of 59 that TW has on their specs information is true? Is it a softer racket than the Prestige? Most Babolat seem to be pretty stiff. Thanks.

I use the original LTD, and it is firm, despite the flex rating. The FXP is stiffer, but the LTD is hardly a noodle.

I don't agree that it's underpowered, either - I can hit a very penetrating ball with it, coming from a MG Prestige mid.

mrmo1115
09-07-2009, 12:57 PM
the babolat grip shape is similar to a wilson, more squared off than a head grip. Head rackets are hard to get used to, and it's even harder to move on from them. one word of advice, though. you may want to throw some lead on the LTD, it's a tad underpowered stock compared to the Prestige line, even a little less than the Mids.

Cup8489, I think you nailed it on the head. They are hard to get used to (according to friends) and they are definitely almost impossible for me to move on from them (my own first-hand experience).

That is almost the only reason why I can't sway away from my Head racquet at the end of the day. Grip shape / size.

If you had to take one racquet companies grip shape... what would it be? Babolat and Dunlop are the 2 companies I was about to switch to, but I just couldn't complete the switch because I could never feel comfortable hitting with the grip that felt so foreign to me I lost all confidence in my strokes and soon couldn't even put balls into the court !