PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to the FXP Prestige MP

mrmo1115
09-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I am looking for an alternative to my FXP Prestige MP and I have these 2 racquets in mind:

The YouTek Prestige MP hopefully coming out.

And the Babolat PST LTD GT...

If you guys can put any input that would be great. Thanks

Aces09
09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
i'm a big fan of the microgel prestige mp, I used it for over a year before switching to the kps88.

The dunlop 4D 200 is also a very good stick

mrmo1115
09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I didn't like the 4D version but I liked the AG stock of the 200, but it is discontinued and I am not aiming to switch to another discontinued stick...Anyone else?

Does the LTD GT have any similarities to the FXP Prestige MP?

Ljubicic for number1
09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Exo3 Rebel is a really nice upgrade from the FXP Prestige. Much better feel, more arm friendly, better at net, better angles, less power, etc. The prestige serves a little better though.

mrmo1115
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Exo3 Rebel is a really nice upgrade from the FXP Prestige. Much better feel, more arm friendly, better at net, better angles, less power, etc. The prestige serves a little better though.

Thanks for your comment. I liked the Rebel alot but I felt that it just weighed a bit too much. A bit over 12 oz..

LFN1, do you know any comparative racquets to the FXP Prestige MP that can give me more pop/power?

mrmo1115
09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Does anyone have any input as whether I should try the youtek rad mp or wait for the youtek prestige? Again I'm looking for more power without losing control I get from my fxp prestige mp.

I'm trying out the youtek radical mp later today and let's see what I thi k about it.

mrmo1115
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
After using the Youtek Rad MP for about a week now, I have made a conclusion that isn't final, but its what I'm leaning towards..

I just don't think that either the stock or the leaded YT Rad MP can sway me away from my FXP Prestige MP, EVEN though I want a racquet that can offer me alot more pop and power without losing any control. I just feel that the weight difference and the stiffness difference isn't clicking and it's causing a level of discomfort in my game.

I would love to hear inputs on my feelings, do you guys think I am thinking the right way?

So overall, I am leaning towards waiting for the YT Prestige MP when it comes out some time next year and to hold onto my FXP Prestige MP for now, a racquet which I have my belief and comfort in, rather than to make a drastic switch while I am still currently competing in tournaments almost every week.

HOWEVER, I am still looking for your opinions on what I should do if I am looking for more power / pop in my game that won't throw me out of my comfort zone in terms of the racquet I use...

mrmo1115
09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
A little background info of my game and where I am at ...

-15 year old junior starting the 16s

- consistent, left handed player, likes to work alot of cross court forehands

-power is not my game (although i'd love to add it)

- serve isn't a weapon (also love to add pop to it)

and a bit more i won't go into , or else it will be irrelevant.

What do you guys think?

SlapShot
09-15-2009, 04:10 AM
If you're used to the stiffer feel of the FXP Prestige, the flexier Radical will probably give you trouble.

I've found that the Pure Storm LTD (the original, not the GT, but I'd imagine that they are similar) is stiffer than the rated 62 stiffness, and feels similar to the Prestige, but just slightly more muted. It's probably worth a demo, but you may find it a bit underpowered compared to the Prestige.

Meaghan
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
I played with Prestige mids and MP's and wanted much the same as you do. After a few switches I ended with the Rebel and that felt the same with added pop spin, weight, touch, SW, serve. Just fell short on volleying and control. I wanted something with a bit more consistency like my Prestiges but with those added qualities of the Rebel.

Ive now got the Ozone Pro tour, its almost identical spec to the FXP Prestige MP, it has all you want from the prestige with all the extras. The 100" is only slightly larger and gives way more spin. The thinner beam adds to the feel which is very good.

Ive added a bit more weight (below) which will be too much for you as you've said before. But i honestly think a few grams in the hoop make this frame really stable and give it more penetration.

OPT .............................................FXPpM P

Headsize 100" ............................... 98"
Strung Weight: 343g .................... 340g
Balance: 7pts HL ............................7pts HL
Swingweight: 324 ...........................322
Stiffness: 65 ................................. 65
Beam Width: 18-20-18 mm .............. 21mm
String Pattern:
18 x 20 ....................................... 18 x 20

alidisperanza
09-15-2009, 07:23 AM
[*QUOTE=Aces09;3895400]i'm a big fan of the microgel prestige mp, I used it for over a year before switching to the kps88.

The dunlop 4D 200 is also a very good stick[/QUOTE]

Three great sticks there... The MG prestige has great feel. If you want a little more out of it I would suggest trying the 16x19 pattern. The 300g 4D is a great racquet with quite a bit of pop if you can center a ball too.

I just don't think that either the stock or the leaded YT Rad MP can sway me away from my FXP Prestige MP, EVEN though I want a racquet that can offer me alot more pop and power without losing any control. I just feel that the weight difference and the stiffness difference isn't clicking and it's causing a level of discomfort in my game.

I would love to hear inputs on my feelings, do you guys think I am thinking the right way?

So overall, I am leaning towards waiting for the YT Prestige MP when it comes out some time next year and to hold onto my FXP Prestige MP for now, a racquet which I have my belief and comfort in, rather than to make a drastic switch while I am still currently competing in tournaments almost every week.

Remember, the YT prestige may be decidedly different than what you expect it to be. I remember trying to switch from the LM radical to the FXP one and HATED the change. It sounds like you're fairly comfortable with the frame that you have. Have you considered trying different strings? A lot of the things you're looking to improve in your game sound like they can be achieved with a little bit of tweaking. If you have multiple frames, it's also a much cheaper alternative =]

Hope this helps

mrmo1115
09-15-2009, 07:50 AM
If you're used to the stiffer feel of the FXP Prestige, the flexier Radical will probably give you trouble.

I've found that the Pure Storm LTD (the original, not the GT, but I'd imagine that they are similar) is stiffer than the rated 62 stiffness, and feels similar to the Prestige, but just slightly more muted. It's probably worth a demo, but you may find it a bit underpowered compared to the Prestige.

Thats what I felt. The Radical just gave me a lot of trouble even though I tried it with lead :neutral:

I am not really looking into Babolats right now, and especially the LTD since as you said, it has a muted feel, instead I am looking for more power/pop...

Any more suggestions?

mrmo1115
09-15-2009, 07:51 AM
I played with Prestige mids and MP's and wanted much the same as you do. After a few switches I ended with the Rebel and that felt the same with added pop spin, weight, touch, SW, serve. Just fell short on volleying and control. I wanted something with a bit more consistency like my Prestiges but with those added qualities of the Rebel.

Ive now got the Ozone Pro tour, its almost identical spec to the FXP Prestige MP, it has all you want from the prestige with all the extras. The 100" is only slightly larger and gives way more spin. The thinner beam adds to the feel which is very good.

Ive added a bit more weight (below) which will be too much for you as you've said before. But i honestly think a few grams in the hoop make this frame really stable and give it more penetration.

OPT .............................................FXPpM P

Headsize 100" ............................... 98"
Strung Weight: 343g .................... 340g
Balance: 7pts HL ............................7pts HL
Swingweight: 324 ...........................322
Stiffness: 65 ................................. 65
Beam Width: 18-20-18 mm .............. 21mm
String Pattern:
18 x 20 ....................................... 18 x 20

I am not very used to a 100 sq inch racquet and I don't think I will ever switch to one. Nor am I fan of the Prince "feel". The Rebel 95 felt okay, just not enough power and gave me that wood racquet feel.

mrmo1115
09-15-2009, 07:52 AM
[*QUOTE=Aces09;3895400]i'm a big fan of the microgel prestige mp, I used it for over a year before switching to the kps88.

The dunlop 4D 200 is also a very good stick

Three great sticks there... The MG prestige has great feel. If you want a little more out of it I would suggest trying the 16x19 pattern. The 300g 4D is a great racquet with quite a bit of pop if you can center a ball too.

Remember, the YT prestige may be decidedly different than what you expect it to be. I remember trying to switch from the LM radical to the FXP one and HATED the change. It sounds like you're fairly comfortable with the frame that you have. Have you considered trying different strings? A lot of the things you're looking to improve in your game sound like they can be achieved with a little bit of tweaking. If you have multiple frames, it's also a much cheaper alternative =]

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the 4D AG 200, as much as I liked the 200 AG so that really isn't an option.

You might be right, but however, I have been trying many different strings over the past year including Pro Supex Big Ace, Luxilon Rough, Cyber Blue, Leopard Control, Tecnifibre Red Code, etc.

Thats why I'm running out of ideas.

mrmo1115
09-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey guys I'm going to give the string experiment one more shot and this time around I have two polys that will hopefully give more pop and power and maybe even more spin

they are pro line 2 and blue gear.

Any comments would be great especially what you guys think will fit me better.

The only catch is that I only have a half set of blue gear so I will have to hybrid that.

alidisperanza
09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey guys I'm going to give the string experiment one more shot and this time around I have two polys that will hopefully give more pop and power and maybe even more spin

they are pro line 2 and blue gear.

Any comments would be great especially what you guys think will fit me better.

The only catch is that I only have a half set of blue gear so I will have to hybrid that.

I loved the regular 200, haven't tried the 4d version. The 4d 300 is nice though, lots of pop. great teaching frame.

I'm glad you're going to give it another shot. Pardon me if I've just over-looked it in the posts but what's your current set up again? strings/tension wise please.

Also, If you're looking to get more pop and power on your strokes you *may* not want to go with a full poly job. Polys can be tricky where some play to a shorter swing's advantage and some need the batspeed to play up to par. If you have longer, fast swings I'd go with something along the lines of Alu Rough. Back to the point. You may want to try hybriding something in the crosses other than poly. I've found that the power line 2 is a bit of a softer poly, Stick that in the mains with some nice synth, multi, or even some cheap gut and you have quite a winning combo there.

Let me know, I can rattle off plenty of ideas if you still want to experiment