PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel, my thoughts after a week

Rabbit
02-22-2004, 07:29 PM
I got the digital option from Time Warner, including the high def, and the Tennis channel last week. All I can say is that wow, it is well worth the extra $5/month.

They showed Memphis and some other tournament in Europe, and they showed the doubles from Memphis which was really a fine match, better than the singles. The Bryans beat a couple of South Africans, and the points were extraoridnary.

Additionally, for the old farts, they have classic matches. I got to watch John Newcombe and Rod Laver play Arthur Ashe and Stan Smith, along with Stan Smith playing Arthur Ashe in singles. Guys, the ball may have moved a little slower, but the variety of shot was way better. The hands on Laver in '74, past his prime, were unbelievable. It is a joy to watch tapes of him. Laver will always be GOAT IMO.

Anyway, the Tennis Channel is a hit. The only caveat I can offer is that you may suffer from overload, or a spouse who threatens to kill you if she walks in and has to watch tenni again!!!!!

axle
02-22-2004, 07:55 PM
GRRRRRRR... Still not available in my neck of the woods. I called my cable company and they said they had no intention of carrying this anytime soon. Boy was that a pleasant customer service experience.. As a fan of most all racquet sports I feel I am missing out on a good thing. Maybe one of the dishes offer it?

Phil
02-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Rabbit - You may be a chick magnet, an outstanding tennis player, a master Godfather scholar, International Man of Mystery and a certified genius, but those things never really appealed to me. Now...NOW I'm jealous.

No such thing as the Tennis Channel or even tennis on the tube where I live. Boo hooooo!

Rabbit
02-23-2004, 05:39 AM
Damn, my cover's blown!

And, Phil? I understated how elated I am with the Tennis Channel.

You're a mean one, Mr. Rabbit...... (stolen from the Grinch)

Gaines Hillix
02-24-2004, 04:52 PM
rabbit, Comcast is supposed to start carrying it here in ATLANTA in March. But, get this...they bundled it with their most expensiive combination of content packages and it's about $85 per month!

Rabbit
02-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Gaines, we got kind of the same deal. While the Golf channel is offerred in the standard tier, you have to go digital to get the Tennis Channel. So, my bill is going from $48 to $73. But, I did get like 8 high def channels (they promise more) and 13 HBOs and 13 Shotimes. It's amazing, with all those movies, I'd still rather watch a replay of the doubles final from Memhis. :P

@wright
02-24-2004, 07:07 PM
No spectravision?

polakosaur
02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
comcast of nj still hasn't hooked us up with the tennis channel, when will they? theres a big market for tennis in nj, a small state but when you go out to play the courts are always full

Gaines Hillix
03-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Matt H., it's not the Tennis Channel's fault that the cable companies aren't rolling it out to their customers in all markets. The people at the Tennis Channel have to negotiate with every company in every market to get the cable and satellite companies to carry it. It's finally on Comcast here in the Atlanta area, but it took a year to get it and Atlanta is the largest tennis market in the US, so go figure.....

david aames
03-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Have you guys checked the Tennis Channel website? They have a forum where Steve Bellamy is very active. Talk about customer support -- although I'm not sure it's a good sign...

chrisab508
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
UHHH, didn't even know this channel existed, now that i know about it, i want it!! Just looked on their web site figuring chicago was a rather big place and direct TV was rather popular, NO CHICAGO, NO DIRECT TV!! UHHH!!!

drumnman2
03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Can't believe we got it here in Toledo, Oh. a few months ago....we never get anything here before the rest of the world, usually. I'm tellin you it's about all I watch anymore. Some of the things that TTC specificically made for the channel can get real old, over & over again but all in all I don't know how I'd get along without it now.

baseliner
03-30-2004, 12:56 PM
I have got TTC in Atlanta through Comcast. No extra cost. I already had my phone, cable and internet with them and TTC showed up for free on March 1.

joebedford
03-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Now wait just a minute. The words "court-side", "mis-hits", and "coc-ky" get censored, but the f-word makes it through? What kind of censoring software ya runnin', TW? :lol:

tennislover
04-02-2004, 12:48 PM
i dont see the F word anywhere? Maybe it got deleted by a mod?