PDA

View Full Version : Would i make it?

dantesinferno18
09-06-2009, 09:22 PM
There are probably TONS! of threads like this but im gona give it a shot anyways.

I am hoping to play college tennis shootin for D2 but im fine with D3 if i have to. I am a Junior in highschool I am 6' 2" and about 175 LBS. I can break 100 mph on my serve. This past summer I only played challenger tournaments cause my parents wouldn't let me play in the more expensive championship ones, also because there are a lot more challenger ones really close to where i live. I am ranked 4 in challenger the worst i have gotten is 3rd place out of 5 tournaments. I am in the northern section. For next summer my parents said i can play all championship tournaments. Also I will be playing 2 singles for my highschool. Honestly do you guys think I will make it in college tennis. (i also just started lifting and working out which i hadn't before.)

mcutilize
09-06-2009, 09:28 PM
There are probably TONS! of threads like this but im gona give it a shot anyways.

I am hoping to play college tennis shootin for D2 but im fine with D3 if i have to. I am a Junior in highschool I am 6' 2" and about 175 LBS. I can break 100 mph on my serve. This past summer I only played challenger tournaments cause my parents wouldn't let me play in the more expensive championship ones, also because there are a lot more challenger ones really close to where i live. I am ranked 4 in challenger the worst i have gotten is 3rd place out of 5 tournaments. I am in the northern section. For next summer my parents said i can play all championship tournaments. Also I will be playing 2 singles for my highschool. Honestly do you guys think I will make it in college tennis. (i also just started lifting and working out which i hadn't before.)

i can break 90+ and im 5'7 so not that impressive

your probably not going to play college tennis reason being your playing challenger and if you were good enough to play d3 or above you'd have won all the challengers without dropping a set.

it'll probably be too late for you to get scouted and all that since ur only starting to play champs after you done with highschool

dantesinferno18
09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
it'll probably be too late for you to get scouted and all that since ur only starting to play champs after you done with highschool

I still have two years of HIghschool

TennisNinja
09-07-2009, 02:19 AM
i can break 90+ and im 5'7 so not that impressive

your probably not going to play college tennis reason being your playing challenger and if you were good enough to play d3 or above you'd have won all the challengers without dropping a set.

I was going to say the same thing about the serve. I'm 6'0" and a lot lighter and I serve 105-110. I've got a friend who is a few inches shorter than me and he can hit 125. Still, it's not all about the speed on the serve; some really good players don't even have that great of a serve.

You're the same age as me (junior in HS), and I want to achieve the same goals as you which is to play college tennis, hopefully DI. The thing is nobody cares about Challengers and HS tennis except for State. I was ranked really high in Challengers (don't remember exactly) and that wasn't hard to get at all, plus #2 in HS can vary a lot from school to school.

2 years is still enough time to start up tourneys I guess, so I'd say go for it. DIII can be reached really easily depending on what school you go to.

Pleepers
09-07-2009, 06:18 AM
It all depends my friend. I wouldn't be asking peeps on an internet forum--especially if you haven't posted a video. I would be working with local teaching pros to help you get where you need to be for college tennis. They know what it takes and who is recruiting players for what schools.

Besides, match play and getting the "W" is what matters most--not body and serve stats. Work on your game and begin to make contacts in the tennis community. And besides, if you don't make the team your freshman year--you could always walk on in later years. Just stick to it if this is what you truly whant to do.

Best of luck :)

ClarkC
09-07-2009, 06:33 AM
There are probably TONS! of threads like this ...

Yes, and I give the same answer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3679920&postcount=2) very time. :)

dantesinferno18
09-07-2009, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=TennisNinja;3896789]I was going to say the same thing about the serve. I'm 6'0" and a lot lighter and I serve 105-110. I've got a friend who is a few inches shorter than me and he can hit 125. Still, it's not all about the speed on the serve; some really good players don't even have that great of a serve.

I have never clocked my speed i was serving with my highschool coach and i asked him if i break 100 and he said "yea easily" so i could serve 101 i could serve 120 i just dont know. Also I can bring my #1 singles player to a third set so its not a big drop off.

But thanks for the input everyone. I just signed up for a champions tournament for next weekend Hopefully i do well

TheSubdude
10-08-2009, 09:38 AM
I think a lot of people on this board need to find a radar gun and put it to use.

skyzoo
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
By challenger do you mean level 8 tournaments? i'm confused by that term.

goran_ace
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Good luck in the tournaments, OP. Unless you start hitting a radar verified 130 mph with placement and consistency no coach will care about just a serve. It's all about tournament results and rankings. I would suggest working on a 1-2 punch with that serve. Follow it in to the net or use it to set up a big forehand.

tennismom42
10-08-2009, 10:33 AM

I am hoping to play college tennis shootin for D2 but im fine with D3 if i have to. I am a Junior in highschool I am 6' 2" and about 175 LBS. I can break 100 mph on my serve. This past summer I only played challenger tournaments cause my parents wouldn't let me play in the more expensive championship ones, also because there are a lot more challenger ones really close to where i live. I am ranked 4 in challenger the worst i have gotten is 3rd place out of 5 tournaments. I am in the northern section. For next summer my parents said i can play all championship tournaments. Also I will be playing 2 singles for my highschool. Honestly do you guys think I will make it in college tennis. (i also just started lifting and working out which i hadn't before.)tell your parents that they've probably waited too long to cooperate with your dreams. Having done so limits them to exclusively paying for your college costs. Most people would shoot to try and get a little bit of athletic scholarship too. If you're a Junior, I suggest you get some Championship level matches played and on the radar. Your earliest commitment option will be next November, 2010 and the final option is April, 2011. So, you have about a 6 -9 month window of opportunity to get on the radar. Don't listen to the "downers." There's a college tennis program for everyone. There is a wide variety in D1, D2 and D3. Many D3 schools can crush D1 schools. So do NOT accept any assumption that one is better than another.

What's ALWAYS best is to find the right college, that has a tennis program. Have you done that search yet? Do it this week. You can find college search engines on the web or ask your HS guidance counselor. When you're typing in the search criteria, you will come across questions about tennis programs. Do a separate search for D2, then D3, then NAIA, then NJCAA, then CCC.

Remember D3 has no athletic scholarships, so your academic scholarships better take care of your needs. Make it clear to your parents that you need the Championship tournament matches NOW through next Nov, possibly through March, 2011. Then that's it. Then you can rest, improve, grades.
But always get good grades.

ClarkC
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
By challenger do you mean level 8 tournaments? i'm confused by that term.

Challenger usually refers to the second level of sectional tournaments, which are the fifth (and lowest) level of national ranking points tournaments.

Championships are the highest sectional level, fourth level nationally.

tennismom42
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Challenger usually refers to the second level of sectional tournaments, which are the fifth (and lowest) level of national ranking points tournaments.

Championships are the highest sectional level, fourth level nationally.

This is true.
Dantesinferno18, TRN (tennisrecruiting.net) posts wins from various levels of tournaments. I suggest you contact them and ask them to estimate what tournaments in your area might count on their website. You & your parents need to travel to 1 or 2 tournaments in the next few months.

ClarkC
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
This is true.
Dantesinferno18, TRN (tennisrecruiting.net) posts wins from various levels of tournaments. I suggest you contact them and ask them to estimate what tournaments in your area might count on their website. You & your parents need to travel to 1 or 2 tournaments in the next few months.

Not sure if they have time for such questions, but all Challenger level tournaments are included at tennisrecruiting.net. That means that Dantesinferno18 is already in the tennisrecruiting.net system. He can figure out which sectional tournaments tend to be included by looking at the results of other players from his state at TRN and seeing which of their tournaments 10-11 months ago got picked up by TRN. That is a good guide to what will be picked up again in the next two months.

dantesinferno18
10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
well guys I kinda forgot about this post and just rediscovered it today. About a month a go I played at a championship tournament. It was a lvl 6 but it is a really nice one and very popluar so there were actually alot of really good kids there. Considering that at the time (a couple weeks leading up to the tournament) i was only playing a couple days a week i felt i played really good. I won my first round then lost then won again then lost to the first seed. So i ended up going 2-2 plus this tournament counted for national rankings

dantesinferno18
10-10-2009, 02:01 PM
i also forgot to add My GPA is around 3.75 I havn't gotten a single C

mcutilize
10-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Not sure if they have time for such questions, but all Challenger level tournaments are included at tennisrecruiting.net. That means that Dantesinferno18 is already in the tennisrecruiting.net system. He can figure out which sectional tournaments tend to be included by looking at the results of other players from his state at TRN and seeing which of their tournaments 10-11 months ago got picked up by TRN. That is a good guide to what will be picked up again in the next two months.

challenger never went into my ranking only champs did. in fact i didnt have one until i played my first champs

cncretecwbo
10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
why does serve speed matter?

top d3 schools can beat many d2 schools, the difference is mostly money (d2 can help you) or academics (d3 is usually better)

there are terrible teams in both, though so most people can find a spot to play if thats what they really want

ClarkC
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
challenger never went into my ranking only champs did. in fact i didnt have one until i played my first champs

From the TennisRecruiting.net FAQ:

What tournaments count in the rankings? (http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/faq.asp#Rankings-J)

Tournaments that count are in 5 groups:

1. ITF grade A,1,2,3 plus any ITF tournament played in the USA.
2. USTA National Schedule tournaments.
3. Sectional tournaments that are designated to count for USTA National rankings (12 per section).
4. Historically strong tournaments where in the previous year over 60% of the players are National Players. We currenty do not have a published list of these, but this is on our list of future additions to the site.
5. Dynamically determined events in tournaments where at least 30% of the players in the event are National Players, minimum two. For boys' and girls' 12 and under events the percentage requirement is relaxed to 20% since group 2 tournaments in this age division have smaller draws.

In my section (Mid-Atlantic), #3 above means Championships and Challengers. I believe, per the USTA web site, that this is true of all sections. I don't think any section has 12 Championships level tournaments a year.

Was this a long time ago? If not, you should contact TRN and ask why Challenger level tournaments are not counting. Are they really Challengers? Are they really the second highest level of tournament in your section?

mcutilize
10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
From the TennisRecruiting.net FAQ:

What tournaments count in the rankings? (http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/faq.asp#Rankings-J)

In my section (Mid-Atlantic), #3 above means Championships and Challengers. I believe, per the USTA web site, that this is true of all sections. I don't think any section has 12 Championships level tournaments a year.

Was this a long time ago? If not, you should contact TRN and ask why Challenger level tournaments are not counting. Are they really Challengers? Are they really the second highest level of tournament in your section?

for my section it goes

rookies < challengers < champs

then every good player from champs play sectionals which was in august.