PDA

View Full Version : The Decline of Tennis in America: Is Tennis in America at its worst?

F10
09-07-2009, 03:53 PM
For the first time in US Open history the quarterfinals will have to be played without any American representative. Roddick is out, Blake never really had a chance, Querrey ran out of gas and future promises like Donald Young are no where to be found. Long gone are the days of McEnroe, Connors, Pete and Andree. Is American Tennis in its worst stage ever? Is this decline temporary or will someone step up and put America back in the tennis map?

Thanks to Oudin and the Williams sisters women’s tennis are still alive but not really at its best considering that Oudin was the third best US American woman ranked only at 70th in the world.

Who will save American Tennis? Is there still hope for tennis in America? Where is the next Pete Sampras or Agassi? Will there be anyone else?

Is very sad to see what has become of what used to be probably one of the greatest tennis nations of the world. I would like to hear your thoughts about the subject and maybe enlighten me on future tennis players that are expected to bring this tennis drought to an end.

cucio
09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
You need to wait until Andy Murray retires and then hire him to coach the new generations of US tennis champions. Someone has to stop this madness of macho I-hit-it-harder-than-you-even-if-I-miss ball bashers and put some good old defense and point construction (a.k.a. pushing) in America's tennis. As it is now, this is Sparta!

jmverdugo
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
^^ That is why they (USTA) hired Jose Higueras...

S H O W S T O P P E R !
09-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Yet another "America sucks at tennis" thread. We still have Roddick in the top 10 and Isner is still very young and can develop.

CanadianChic
09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
My guess is the OP is a glass-is-half-empty kind of guy. This is one slam and he's already giving up. Roddick is in the top ten. The Williams sisters are still a powerhouse. You have rising stars like Oudin and Isner as well as steady producers like Blake. The U.S. is not the leading country when it comes to tennis anymore but so what? Look at Canada for Pete's sake. I am loyal and proud of the champions (in my mind they are) that are out there trying their best. Poo to your negativity....loyalty and patriotism are something that is always present to a true believer....regardless of the situation.

Dedans Penthouse
09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
<ick me.

oopps... i beg your pardon...that wasn't the required "10 char?"

<ick me

Dedans Penthouse
09-07-2009, 09:25 PM
TW Staff:

The message you have entered is too short.
Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Lick me.

LuckyR
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
For the first time in US Open history the quarterfinals will have to be played without any American representative. Roddick is out, Blake never really had a chance, Querrey ran out of gas and future promises like Donald Young are no where to be found. Long gone are the days of McEnroe, Connors, Pete and Andree. Is American Tennis in its worst stage ever? Is this decline temporary or will someone step up and put America back in the tennis map?

Thanks to Oudin and the Williams sisters women’s tennis are still alive but not really at its best considering that Oudin was the third best US American woman ranked only at 70th in the world.

Who will save American Tennis? Is there still hope for tennis in America? Where is the next Pete Sampras or Agassi? Will there be anyone else?

Is very sad to see what has become of what used to be probably one of the greatest tennis nations of the world. I would like to hear your thoughts about the subject and maybe enlighten me on future tennis players that are expected to bring this tennis drought to an end.

Your view is too narrow. There is nothing wrong with American tennis. The rest of the world caught up in tennis, is all. It is pretty easy to dominate when noone else cares about it. Sort of like how the USA "dominates" American football.

BTW the "drought" ain't gonna end until the rest of the world tires of tennis and stops producing players, ie never.