PDA

View Full Version : Better cushioning?

ac3111
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
I have been wearing the Black Vapors V for less than a year. Lately I play almost everyday more than couple hours and because I play on very hard ground/court (cement) I feel a small discomfort on the shank of my leg, I mean the part that starts below the knee down to the foot...
And I have been thinking to find a shoe with better cushioning.
Before that I was considering buying the Black Vapors VI Tour but now I am considering the Court-Ballistic 1.3... They give me the impression that they have better cushioning than the Vapors VI... but they are heavier.

1st Seed
09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
If you want some real pillows for you're feet try on some Asics GR2's or NB 1004's,Beware Asics durability is horrible.I also play on HC all day and the NB's are great for knocking for hrs.
If you continue to go down the nike route the 1.3's do indeed have better cushioning than you're previous Vapor's.Ballistics are great shoes.

podge
09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Have you tried using thick socks like Thorlos? It might be a better route than buying a new pair of shoes.. but most people need a shoe that's a half size bigger to accommodate the socks. Just a thought.

sincerely,
thorlo socks lover

The_Question
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I tried on a pair of CB1.3, it feels harder and less cushion than Vapor VI. I would suggest Asics Resolution 2 or Adidas Tirend III (warning! ankle roller).

ac3111
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The Tirand III the black one was one of my favourites in terms of look but it is very light and I read that it offers very limited ankle support.
I will try the Vapor VI and maybe the thicker socks...

The_Question
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Vapor VI's cushion is very average, and sounds like you just want to stick with VI, so go for it...

ac3111
09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I have the Vapor V not the VI. If VI is not better then I won't "upgrade" to VI... but it is difficult to find a black Vapor V right now...

The_Question
09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
From V to VI, to me, it's more like a "downgrade" than anything else. Have you called Nike?

Here, in the states, Nike reps will try to find the locations where they have the most stock for you...

charliefedererer
09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Another vote here for the Gel Resolution II's and Thor-lo socks.
Also, no shoe manufacturer has an insole that doesn't crush down under the balls of the feet within 1 or 2 times out on the court, then providing no cushioning whatsoever. The money for replacement insoles is well spent, as one pair will cushion your feet all season. I like the Sof Sole Athlete insole. The Superfeet Orange insole seems very popular on these boards. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-insoles.html

tarkowski
09-10-2009, 08:51 AM
I have been wearing the Black Vapors V for less than a year. Lately I play almost everyday more than couple hours and because I play on very hard ground/court (cement) I feel a small discomfort on the shank of my leg, I mean the part that starts below the knee down to the foot...
And I have been thinking to find a shoe with better cushioning.
Before that I was considering buying the Black Vapors VI Tour but now I am considering the Court-Ballistic 1.3... They give me the impression that they have better cushioning than the Vapors VI... but they are heavier.

The Vapor VI and CB 1.3 both have more cushioning than the Vapor V. The VI in particular, IMO, has a substantially better sole and cushioning than the V. The VI is stiffer out of the box (the uppers) and take a little more time to break in. But once broken in, I find them fantastic.

The CB 1.3 still has an 'elevated' feel to the heel - a different feel from the Vapor for sure. Hard to say if these have more 'effective' cushioning than the VI, or if they just have a higher heel. Very comfortable regardless.

Asics GRII is a fantastic shoe as well, with great cushioning. More 'responsive' i.e. bouncy, than the other two. I feel very fast in this shoe. The outsole wears very quickly though - in about 1/3rd the time as the others. The uppers can become a little sloppy (over time) in comparison with the nikes as well.

I've used all three and I'm thinking the Vapor VI might be my favorite long-term, though the others are keepers as well.

I also use the Superfeet Green insoles which I find are much better than anything that comes stock with the shoe. They are a semi-hard insole, but put your foot in a position to take advantage of it's own cushioning (by cupping the heel). They work great and are very durable.

Good luck!

Xisbum
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm an ASICS fan; have 5 pair (4 Res 1s, 1 Res 2), plus one pair of the Game (cheaper than Res but still nicely cushioned). I'm able to spread out the wear and tear on both the cushioning and the soles.

Used to be a Wilson shoe man, but no longer.

Richie Rich
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
yonex shoes also have very good cushioning. on par with asics in my experience

TnTBigman
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Try a pair of New Balance. One thats correct for you foot size and width. Extremely comfortable and durable shoes. All I play on is hardcourts and I never went back to the Nike (Breathe Free II) since 2006. They last longer, are more comfortable, but not as stylish. The pain you describe sound like shin splints. You may need to look up some exercises to help strengthen and increase the flexability for that muscle there.

ac3111
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. I will be looking for Asics GRII and new balance. Unfortunately they are not available where I am to try them.

Xisbum
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys. I will be looking for Asics GRII and new balance. Unfortunately they are not available where I am to try them.

Ah, but do you have access to Lotto tennis clothing? Like the Spin line? We could do some horse-trading, so to speak. :)

120mphBodyServe
09-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Can you get Babolat shoes in your area?
The Propulse 2 are worth checking out...