PDA

View Full Version : HELP!--"Non-tour" Pro Storm and 4D 300...Same specs...difference?

Connors
09-08-2009, 06:51 AM
I used to use the non-tour Pure Storm and liked it a lot but at times, it felt a little underpowered, even with 17 gauge Bi-phase.

The 4D 300 has almost the same specs. Both are 98's. Both have 21 mm beam widths. TW has Pure Storm's swing weight at 312 and 4D 300's swing weight at 320. Pure Storm has 16 X 20 string pattern, 4D 300 has 16 X 19. TW has Pure Storm's stiffness index at 62 and 4D 300 at 60 (this differs from other companies who have it at 64). Both rackets are 10.9 oz. strung.

TW has the non-tour Pure Storm as "low" powered. Yet, it has the 4D 300 as "low-medium" powered. Why the difference? How are these rackets different and is TW right in that the 4D 300 will provide a little more power than the Pure Storm? Is this because of the 4D braiding? Any insights will help. Thank you.

Connors
09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Can anybody explain why the Pure Storm regular gets a "low" power rating and the 4D 300 gets a "low-medium" power rating. Both rackets are so close in specs. Is it the new 4D technology?

dadozen
09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Connors, I can't tell you the reason for this difference in TW specs, but I can tell you that the 4D 300 is a much better tacquets than the PStorm, IMO. Much more stable and solid. I can't say much about power, since I use the 300 Tour and it's low-powered.

TennisMD
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I used to use the non-tour Pure Storm and liked it a lot but at times, it felt a little underpowered, even with 17 gauge Bi-phase.

The 4D 300 has almost the same specs. Both are 98's. Both have 21 mm beam widths. TW has Pure Storm's swing weight at 312 and 4D 300's swing weight at 320. Pure Storm has 16 X 20 string pattern, 4D 300 has 16 X 19. TW has Pure Storm's stiffness index at 62 and 4D 300 at 60 (this differs from other companies who have it at 64). Both rackets are 10.9 oz. strung.

TW has the non-tour Pure Storm as "low" powered. Yet, it has the 4D 300 as "low-medium" powered. Why the difference? How are these rackets different and is TW right in that the 4D 300 will provide a little more power than the Pure Storm? Is this because of the 4D braiding? Any insights will help. Thank you.

I have demoed the Dunlop and nice rkt but nothing special. Would not condsider it powerful. I am currently playing around with the Pure Storm and like it. Mine with lux alu power strings low tension and an over grip weighs 11.4 oz this allows me to generate alot of rkt head speed and hence hit very deep with this. Also allows for very effective serving, place the ball well and rarely double fault, with the more powerful heavier rkts sometimes this is a problem. As far as getting pushed around, I puzzle at these comments as if you hit the ball flush you never get pushed around and if you are frequently getting this feeling of instability then I believe you are mis hitting with that rkt and this could be a multitude of things, poor timing because the rkt is to heavy, and poor timing is not just a weight issue but when you see the ball and react if you are a pro you see the ball sooner react more quickly and hence hit better with a heavy racquet but if you see the ball a bit later and react later you can compensate with a lighter rkt, hence every body has an ideal swing weight. So just some food for thought. So back to the original query and that is I do not find a big dif in the power between the two rkts

dadozen
09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I have demoed the Dunlop and nice rkt but nothing special. Would not condsider it powerful. I am currently playing around with the Pure Storm and like it. Mine with lux alu power strings low tension and an over grip weighs 11.4 oz this allows me to generate alot of rkt head speed and hence hit very deep with this. Also allows for very effective serving, place the ball well and rarely double fault, with the more powerful heavier rkts sometimes this is a problem. As far as getting pushed around, I puzzle at these comments as if you hit the ball flush you never get pushed around and if you are frequently getting this feeling of instability then I believe you are mis hitting with that rkt and this could be a multitude of things, poor timing because the rkt is to heavy, and poor timing is not just a weight issue but when you see the ball and react if you are a pro you see the ball sooner react more quickly and hence hit better with a heavy racquet but if you see the ball a bit later and react later you can compensate with a lighter rkt, hence every body has an ideal swing weight. So just some food for thought. So back to the original query and that is I do not find a big dif in the power between the two rkts

When I used the PStorm, it was very unstable. And not because any of the reasons stated above.

neverstopplaying
09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I played for about 6 months with Pure Storms (leaded to 345 gms) and now have been playing with the 300 4D for a few weeks (leaded to 332gms).

Both racquets are very stable and offer good control and spin at these weights. I wouldn't like either one stock but could play with eight one leaded. I find the PS has more flex and a little more power. I prefer the stiffer, lighter 300.

I haven't had them strung the same so I can't say 100% that some of this isn't due to the strings. I would like my 300 to feel like my MG Prestige mid strung with VS Gut / ISOspeed pro. I will string it up tonight and if it does - I'll be very happy.

dadozen
09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I played for about 6 months with Pure Storms (leaded to 345 gms) and now have been playing with the 300 4D for a few weeks (leaded to 332gms).

Both racquets are very stable and offer good control and spin at these weights. I wouldn't like either one stock but could play with eight one leaded. I find the PS has more flex and a little more power. I prefer the stiffer, lighter 300.

I haven't had them strung the same so I can't say 100% that some of this isn't due to the strings. I would like my 300 to feel like my MG Prestige mid strung with VS Gut / ISOspeed pro. I will string it up tonight and if it does - I'll be very happy.

Wow, that's a lot of lead!:D

neverstopplaying
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
If you're talking about the PS, not really because I prefer more HL, so I added a HS overgrip and leather grip, then 4 -1/4 strips of about 4". 345gm

for the Dunlop, leather grip, a small amount of lead in the handle (may be 2gm) and also 4 1/4 strips. 332gm

I've come from older heavier sticks and I'm working my way down from 360-370 gm frames, so these are still quite light to me.

I was hitting with the Dunlop against a top junior this afternoon and was still swinging a little too fast. But the 300 was very stable and no vibrations on off-center hits.

bertrevert
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I have the Bab PS (non-T) and found it very low powered - to put a ball away required a heap of work - and it def needs lead.

I think the biggest diff between the two, and which may go some way to explaining the diff in power, is the diff head shapes.

The Dunlop has that characteristic elongated hoop - longer mains means more power.

The Bab has that characteristic roundness to its hoop - more side swipe topsin.

If your serve is v imptnt shot then go the Dunlop.

If you like long rallies and retrieving and attrition then go the Bab.

But my gut feeling would be the going w the Dunlop. I have the old HM300g and in singles I just plain cut down the UE with it. The Bab PS would not do that nor let me finish off points.

ps. I'm dying to demo the 4D 300 as well...

warning - do not buy on specs alone