PDA

View Full Version : How much difference will racquet upgrade make?

Dustin28
09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I picked up the game about 3 months ago and instantly fell in love with it. I bought a cheapo wilson racquet from walmart and it was perfectly fine the first few times i played. Then i started to actually practice my strokes everyday and started to develop a long loopy swing and a topspin serve. But now when I play a match it seems like I have no control over the ball. Of course it ran across my mind that maybe i should have paid more than $17.99 for a racquet. So my question to you is, how much benefit will I get if I buy a decent racquet? Will a nice racquet help me improve my game faster? Will it hinder my progress to keep using my wal-son?

jwbarrientos
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Generally speaking depends on your technique, but assuming you are a normal human being making a good progress, a good racquet that fit your game + preferences + skills would be a plus.

I had that doubt a time ago, my professor told me around 30% :shock:

Ok, don't get panic, I had to go thru a transition period, after that I'd say I improved, not able to put in a percentage but for sure has a possitive effect.

I went back to play in many times with previous racquet and believe me I realize is a joke (well, I got in a Supermarket) :)

callen3615
09-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Go to a sports shop that carries racquets and demo some. Id say it would help you out considerable. ;)

cadfael_tex
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Only one way to find out. Try it. But as was mentioned, don't expect a flawless, smooth transition. I'd also recommend demoing since a new racquet can be a pricey proposition. I'd look at something that isn't the newest but maybe last years paintjob and 'new gimmic' technology like aerogel line from dunlop, speedport/O3 from prince, or MG from Head.