PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Pro One Oversize : is it a viable replacement for the POG OS?

AndrewD
09-09-2009, 04:47 AM
POG OS is discontinued and, for those of us not in the States, not easy to source (TW is the only on-line store I'll use). So, if I decide to stick with a 12oz+ oversize, the Donnay is my only logical option (the Avery is too expensive to take a punt on). That said, I'm not really sure that it'll be worth the trouble.

I liked the weight of shot I got with the POG OS, the spin potential and the power. HOWEVER, what I loved about it was the combination of those three things. I don't want a racquet that gives me weight of shot but isn't spin friendly and I certainly don't want one that can't give me 'put-away' power.

From what I've read of the Donnay Pro One OS, Im not entirely sure that it can give me that combination. Of course, I could be wrong about that, which is why I'm asking for opinions.

So, if people could weigh in with their opinions of the Pro One OS as a viable replacement for the POG OS it'd be greatly appreciated.

Power Player
09-09-2009, 04:51 AM
I don't think the Donnay has as much power, but it gets more spin then most modern sticks. I personally am glad it has less power because I have a lot more control.

ace0001a
09-09-2009, 06:13 AM
I only used a Prince Graphite for a few months back in the day. From my recollection, the Donnay Pro One Limited Edition does play almost the same. Obviously unless one company totally reverse engineers another company's product, you're not going to have a perfect clone. With that said, the Donnay Pro One LE is about as close of a replication of the Prince Graphite as another company can make. It was good enough for Andre Agassi to use for a few years and we all know how he didn't like the first Pro One Donnay tried to get him to use. Also in my opinion, I think what is just as good if not better is the original Head Radical Tour/Trisys260 (Yellow and Black). Those aren't as easy to find, but I often see them pop up on the popular auction website that sounds like se****.

Bengt
09-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I would love to get someone's opinion of the Avery OS. The mids aren't bad. Too flexy for me, though.

AndrewD
09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks. I'd also be happy to have an impartial review of the Donnay OS and an unbiased comparison of it and the POG OS. Unfortunately, you either get reviews from people who love a racquet, hate a racquet or haven't logged much playing time with it (or one of the two they're comparing).

AndrewD
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Still looking for some feedback.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that this message board is now only worthwhile if you want to talk about the k88, k90 or some other racquet that has a pro player attached to it.

123ten
04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/regisk04/Racquets/IMG_5049.jpg

Hi Andrew, The POG I am using is the 1st generation single stripe (grommetless). I recently got a Donnay OS (Belgium "Newsprint" Edition). Compared to POG (weighs ~ 13.5 oz) the Donnay feels really light!

Other than this the main difference I noticed was POG had more power. Donnay's power level seemed a little similiar to a Prince Comp. Since all these racquets are strung with different strings/tensions I am not able to comment further.

Are you still using any of these racquets?

--

Still looking for some feedback.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that this message board is now only worthwhile if you want to talk about the k88, k90 or some other racquet that has a pro player attached to it.

stevewcosta
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I'd also be happy to have an impartial review of the Donnay OS and an unbiased comparison of it and the POG OS. Unfortunately, you either get reviews from people who love a racquet, hate a racquet or haven't logged much playing time with it (or one of the two they're comparing).

I think the Donnay is better than the Prince (just repaint it). It has great flex (not too much like the Intl 95), ample power, great spin, good plow, feel, low sw & therefore great rac. head speed...The Prince is good but much stiffer and more sluggish. If the Donnay came in men's colors and was slightly smaller at about 100 sq. in, I would buy 7 or 8 of them at that price. I find 110s a bit large for my 1hbh. Donnay hands down is the winner in my book.

Orion
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I think the Donnay is better than the Prince (just repaint it). It has great flex (not too much like the Intl 95), ample power, great spin, good plow, feel, low sw & therefore great rac. head speed...The Prince is good but much stiffer and more sluggish. If the Donnay came in men's colors and was slightly smaller at about 100 sq. in, I would buy 7 or 8 of them at that price. I find 110s a bit large for my 1hbh. Donnay hands down is the winner in my book.

Stevewcosta VERY NICELY put couldn't have said it better. The POG is a good solid stick but unless you're built like Batista or HHH it's a little hefty for my 5'11" 165 lb 38 yr old frame. I can handle it for a set but after that it starts to come around alot slower. I find it a little stiff too. The Pro One OS is solid with a nice flex, only drawack is that salmon-pink color. My favorite OS frame. You have to generate your own power but it rewards with tons of control. I used it last summer as my "rehab" stick when I tore a tendon in my wrist. It translates no shock to the arm, mishits are a different story.