PDA

View Full Version : Should i replace my Volkl C10

Ramjet
09-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi, i have 2 volkl c10 (2008 versions)that i rotate in play. I hear rackets break down over time and i wanted to know when i should think about replacing them. I play about 4-5 hours a week (often with drills) and have used them for about a year; i restring about every 6 weeks.
Love the feel of these sticks by the way; I often try and move away to something more modern but keep coming back!

jrod
09-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I sort of doubt your frames are breaking down with only 4-5 hours per week. Nevertheless, if you are seriously considering moving onto something newer but still want to retain that classic Volkl feel, I highly recommend the new PB10 mid. Extremely impressive new frame...so impressive a couple of the TW frame testers (including Chris) have recently switched to it.

canadave
09-09-2009, 07:04 AM
In my opinion, you should think about replacing them when you notice that they're not playing well for you. There is no objective, quantifiable way to "calculate a time" when things will start falling apart.

Rabbit
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Well, if you want to replace them, you could always replace them with new C10s. They are still viable.

I feel your pain, for some inane reason, I have been moving away and coming back to the C10 for over a year now. I think my wild hair is over and I'm back home again for good.

jwbarrientos
09-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Volkl C10? come on, for sure they are broken and you should SEND THEM TO ME :mrgreen:

ollinger
09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes, replace them!! (I'm just pimping for the host.)

jrod
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, if you want to replace them, you could always replace them with new C10s. They are still viable.

I feel your pain, for some inane reason, I have been moving away and coming back to the C10 for over a year now. I think my wild hair is over and I'm back home again for good.

Rabbit- Didn't you mean hare?

Zielmann
09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't worry about them. They aren't going to break down that quickly. If they still feel fine to you, it doesn't matter.

Two of my frames are 6 or 7 years old now, maybe older. They still seem fine to me. Yours are just 1, maybe 1.5 years old... don't worry about them.

furyoku_tennis
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
IMO the C10's actually play better once you start to break them in. They'll last you for quite some time.

max
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Interesting! I was following your progress with the Dunlop AG100. My old C-9s are just beginning to crap out.

Rabbit
09-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Rabbit- Didn't you mean hare?

Dang, I always get that wrong! Good catch. :)

Interesting! I was following your progress with the Dunlop AG100. My old C-9s are just beginning to crap out.

Ahhhh....well that is interesting. I started off with the C9 probably more than ten years ago now. It was like a gateway drug to the C10. But, I've thought lately that I should go to something lighter....like the C10, but lighter....bell ring light comes on....C9! Unfortunately, I sold my C9s way back. I've since hit some with lighter frames (Dunlop 300 and the Gamma T-7) and heavier frames (Rossignol F250) and come to the conclusion that for my game there is no substitute for a nice hefty frame. The C9 would still be a good option for me, but since I can't get them....well...

If you are looking for a replacement, demo the C10. It is really the same racquet only heavier than the C9. If you like leather as I do, the TW thin/wide grip doesn't add any weight and works really well. I had gotten used to a 3/8 on the Dunlop and my C10s are 1/2's. The TW thin leather grip makes them feel more like a smaller grip than those nasty old Fairways...

The AG100 is a great frame. In the end, my groundstrokes had more spin and were more penetrating with the C10 than the AG100. The AG100 plays like a much bigger frame and IMO was very comfortable and solid feeling off the ground. It serves and volleys really well. I'm getting quickly reacquainted with the C10s though and things are falling into place. The plus I can take from the AG100 is using natural gut again and higher tensions, 61 in the C10. Natural gut in the C10 is pure heaven too. On a side note, I didn't sell my AG100s just in case the wild hare comes back.

You might also want to try the DNX 9 and if you like it, let me know! :)

film1
09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately that amount of play has by now made your C-10s only a
shadow of what they were when new.
A wise man one said all good things must come to an end.
It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Very sad, but life goes on, how much do you want for them:)

mike53
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi, i have 2 volkl c10 (2008 versions)that i rotate in play. I hear rackets break down over time and i wanted to know when i should think about replacing them. I play about 4-5 hours a week (often with drills) and have used them for about a year; i restring about every 6 weeks.
Love the feel of these sticks by the way; I often try and move away to something more modern but keep coming back!

I think you should absolutely get another C10. They are beautiful racquets and I promise you'll feel more than twice as good looking in your bag and seeing all three of them. You will need to tweak it just a tiny bit differently from the others like a couple inches of lead tape or a couple pounds more or less of string tension or a tacky vs absorbent overgrip. Now when you play, if things aren't going well, you can grab another racquet out of your bag and it's going to be just the thing to fix your problem. Trust me on this. And get this replacement thing out of your mind. These are yours forever.

Capt. Willie
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
My C10s are a lot older than yours and I'm still using them...they all seem fine to me. Now maybe if I bought one of the new black ones I'd see a difference...I don't know.

njenner, see this C10? Nine years I've had this racquet, it's my best one, I call him...Golden Boy. Golden Boy is always the first racquet I take out of the bag. Here, touch Golden Boy! But see look at the frame, see it's fraying. Golden Boy is slowly dying. Each match brings him one step closer, that's what makes the tennis racquet such a tragic figure.

Shaolin
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Replace them with new ones and sell me your old ones:)

Jaxon
10-30-2009, 07:44 PM
njenner!!!! ive been trying to reach you for days but have yet to get a simple reply. I want to buy those racquets you were selling before. contact me at korean_jason@hotmail.com

matchmaker
10-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Racquets used by us mere mortals, don't break down in a couple of years.

BTW, the C10 is a very unique frame, it can't be compared to anything else.

furyoku_tennis
10-31-2009, 02:42 PM
agreed. love my C10s. if only i could get a hold of the C10 Pro Tour.

Don S
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
The C9 would still be a good option for me, but since I can't get them....well...

Rabbit, I've got a C9 - are you interested?

Rabbit
11-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Rabbit, I've got a C9 - are you interested?

two?............

Shangri La
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
man... i really regret letting me c10 pro go...

max
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Don S: if you've just got 1 and want to sell it, let me know. If you've got more, check with Rabbit.

Don S
11-07-2009, 02:29 PM
two?............

I tried to email you through TW but I guess you didn't get it. I have one.

Rabbit
11-09-2009, 04:06 AM
OK...my bad,I don't check that e-mail addy too often....

Sounds like you have another buyer on line though...

Ross K
11-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Anyone know if the the C10 Pro ever used to/still does come in XL size?

Given my general love of the balance, weighting, spin and feel, but admitting I have issues with serve power, and my 2hbh never really fired with the C10, well, as someone suggested to me, maybe a plus-sized C10 would help solve those issues?

Thanks

R.

Rabbit
11-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Well, it depends on what you mean by "plus" size. There was an eXtended C10, and there was an Oversized C10. Both were lighter variants of the C10 MP and both are no longer produced.

The C10 OS was a great frame. It was 110 sq in and 16X19. You could put a ton of spin on the ball with it. Just amazing how much spin the thing was capable of.

I tried the X10 as well and didn't care too much for it.

TheLama
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
There maybe a nano C10 16x19 coming out in Fall 2010...just maybe.....to join the PB 10 18x20....I pushed for this one!

furyoku_tennis
11-10-2009, 11:52 PM
anything on the specs of the potential nano C10? it sounds interesting.

TheLama
11-11-2009, 01:08 AM
anything on the specs of the potential nano C10? it sounds interesting.

If it goes, it will most likely be a PB C10 Pro, with a 16x19 string bed, or perhaps, a PB 10, with a 16x19 string bed. Remember, the C10 Pro is 1 mm thicker at 20 mm.

TheLama
11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I sort of doubt your frames are breaking down with only 4-5 hours per week. Nevertheless, if you are seriously considering moving onto something newer but still want to retain that classic Volkl feel, I highly recommend the new PB10 mid. Extremely impressive new frame...so impressive a couple of the TW frame testers (including Chris) have recently switched to it.

Just Curious: what makes you love this stick so much?

TourTenor
11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Lama ... I'm not JRod, but like him ... I found the PB10 mid to be a great fit with my game. The HL balance allows access to plenty of racquet head speed. I can spin the ball easily and can also tear the cover off of it. I like the good touch (almost as good as my old Gen2s) and that contrasts nicely with the nice pop off the ground and on the serve. This is a rare stick that offers a great combination of maneuverability, touch, spin and power. I also like being able to play very aggressively as compared to others I have tried.

Mansewerz
11-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Is the PB10 mid a demanding frame?

TourTenor
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I think the answer is "it depends". "Demanding" implies a black and white answer! It isn't black and white like that. The question comes down to swinging something that you can swing comfortably for the whole time that you like to play. For me the 325 SW (approx.) is just right for the 2.5-3.0 hours of doubles that I generally play these days. It took a lot of trial and error with different sticks to find my comfort range for SW. Hope that helps.

furyoku_tennis
11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
If it goes, it will most likely be a PB C10 Pro, with a 16x19 string bed, or perhaps, a PB 10, with a 16x19 string bed. Remember, the C10 Pro is 1 mm thicker at 20 mm.

thanks for the info. i'm really lookin forward to this new frame.

Djoker_69
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
yes u should get a new sytik

TheLama
11-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Lama ... I'm not JRod, but like him ... I found the PB10 mid to be a great fit with my game. The HL balance allows access to plenty of racquet head speed. I can spin the ball easily and can also tear the cover off of it. I like the good touch (almost as good as my old Gen2s) and that contrasts nicely with the nice pop off the ground and on the serve. This is a rare stick that offers a great combination of maneuverability, touch, spin and power. I also like being able to play very aggressively as compared to others I have tried.

I agree. It's a part of my arm, although I am still messing around with some extra weight, since it moves through the air much faster than its static weight/balance would belay.

There isn't a shot that I can't hit with this stick, all equally well without making any adjustments, and it can be strung with plain fishing line and still play great!

jrod
11-13-2009, 03:30 AM

Hey Lama- Quite honestly, I couldn't have stated it better than TourTenor has. We both have experimented with many frames over the years, trying to find "the" perfect one. Everystep of the way you learn something about what it is you are looking for. It's been a long journey for sure and when I transitioned to the BB11mid I felt like I was as close as I ever had been to a perfect frame. I continued to improve with this frame and started playing better players when I felt that I could possibly benefit by a slightly lower SW, but I was unwilling to compromise in terms of touch, feel, and stability.

When the PB10mid came out I was initially put off by it's SW, but a number of posters suggested it was nowhere near the 337 that TW listed. So I demoed one and sure enough, it swung easier than the BB11mids without sacrificing anything (except maybe a little pop). I had TW pull the 2 lightest SW frames they had in stock in my grip size and I have never looked back. The thing is an extension of my arm. I've never played better tennis than I am today with this frame.

It took a hell of a long time to find the perfect frame (I'm 53), but I feel like I've found it in the PB10mid.

TheLama
11-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey Lama- Quite honestly, I couldn't have stated it better than TourTenor has. We both have experimented with many frames over the years, trying to find "the" perfect one. Everystep of the way you learn something about what it is you are looking for. It's been a long journey for sure and when I transitioned to the BB11mid I felt like I was as close as I ever had been to a perfect frame. I continued to improve with this frame and started playing better players when I felt that I could possibly benefit by a slightly lower SW, but I was unwilling to compromise in terms of touch, feel, and stability.

When the PB10mid came out I was initially put off by it's SW, but a number of posters suggested it was nowhere near the 337 that TW listed. So I demoed one and sure enough, it swung easier than the BB11mids without sacrificing anything (except maybe a little pop). I had TW pull the 2 lightest SW frames they had in stock in my grip size and I have never looked back. The thing is an extension of my arm. I've never played better tennis than I am today with this frame.

It took a hell of a long time to find the perfect frame (I'm 53), but I feel like I've found it in the PB10mid.

That's cool!

I really liked the T10 VE, but this plays a lot like it because it is a 16 main that plays like an 18 main. I'm still screwing around with weight and balance, as I play with a heavier frame than stock. It definitely swings much lighter and faster than it's static feel would imply.