PDA

View Full Version : Should top juniors play for their high school team?

papatenis
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Let's say if a junior is ranked in the top 20 of their section, should they feel obligated to play for their high school team?

tennismom42
09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Let's say if a junior is ranked in the top 20 of their section, should they feel obligated to play for their high school team?rankings change so much, depending on the kid's age, etc.

Playing HS tennis makes some competitive players worse during the HS season. But, so what, at least you're playing. You'll get worse if you don't play.

Some coaches care about the HS performance. Some scholarships care about Team Captain & MVP. HS tennis helps make friendships. It helps the kid be a team player or a leader.

There are a lot of downfalls to HS tennis too. I'll try to hold my tongue. The thing I hated the most was the politics and the crappy coaches that get credit when other coaches do the work. I also hated HS coaches thinking they "created" the competitor when all they did was inherit the talented kid for 60 days.

SoCal10s
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
if your kid is already playing tournament tennis on the weekends, and you're in So Cal I think it's better if you use your time more wisely and practice hard on your own... high school tennis practices tend to suck if you have to go everyday.. if you can make some kind of arrangements with the school and/or coaches where you just come for the school matches,then you can have your cake and eat it too... if the coach/school is not flexible with the practices,then I'd say forget it.. college coaches don't really give a crap about what you do or not do in high school tennis unless you're in a very competitive league and you decide to sit out for personal reasons, other than that ,college coaches just look at national and TR rankings..
I had 1 girl not play high school tennis because she did more productive things outside of school and it didn't hurt her one bit,she's playing this coming year for D1 school,full ride..

papatenis
09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
high school tennis practices tend to suck if you have to go everyday.. if you can make some kind of arrangements with the school and/or coaches where you just come for the school matches,then you can have your cake and eat it too... ..

I agree, we made an agreement with the coach. If she has a important tournament on the weekend, (next wk. agassi no quit) then she won't attend any practice that week, and will only play doubles in the school match. (unless it's an important match)
Since she is a senior, she wanted to play with her friends on the team, I was against if because she should just focus on preparing for college play.

TennisNinja
09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
rankings change so much, depending on the kid's age, etc.

Playing HS tennis makes some competitive players worse during the HS season. But, so what, at least you're playing. You'll get worse if you don't play.

Some coaches care about the HS performance. Some scholarships care about Team Captain & MVP. HS tennis helps make friendships. It helps the kid be a team player or a leader.

There are a lot of downfalls to HS tennis too. I'll try to hold my tongue. The thing I hated the most was the politics and the crappy coaches that get credit when other coaches do the work. I also hated HS coaches thinking they "created" the competitor when all they did was inherit the talented kid for 60 days.

Politics. That is what I hate the most about high school tennis. My coach makes up all of her own rankings like even though I'm higher ranked than some other guys on the team I don't get to play singles, she does that with a lot of players. She makes the #1 and 2 players her abolute babies and ignores everyone else.

I haven't even got to play any of the top 3 players on the team, even though I was varsity last year and would've been freshman year too but I was injured after tryouts so I didn't play. Instead she puts a lot of the freshman top court and even after I win all my matches 3-0 the first day I don't get moved up at all and then she puts me at 5 when I win all my matches except one the next day. I play a tiebreak and I lose and my coach takes that as a sign that I'm worse than the person I'm playing in tryouts, then later in practice I play a set with the same person and win pretty easily and my coach is like "that doesn't count because it wasn't a real challenge match".

She thinks she's a great coach, talks about how I'm developing as a player to me like she's the one who's done it all, gives me absolutely useless advice, and does stupid drills such as running down drop shots when our team should be working on other things.

I actually get worse every year because I don't ever get to play the better players on the team, and the only reason I play is because my parents make me.

Sure, it's nice to be in a team environment and I've made a few good friends (1 or 2 lol), but there's a lot of competition especially when players think they're the best and always challenge for the hell of it when reality they're wasting my time, their time, and court time during practice. People always challenge up on me and I've never lost a challenge match, and even when people win in other situations sometimes the coach ignores it and sticks with her own rankings instead, or she keeps having people play over and over until the person she wants to win actually does.

I guess if you do well in the State championships then that's good but State is the only thing that matters and it's sucks when you have your season in the Fall and State in the spring.

lenderbender
09-10-2009, 12:15 PM
wow tennis ninja feel really sorry for you mate.

i know how it feels like to have to play against much weaker people for a while, I just start not bothering with footwork, swings etc and then when I play again with the people I normally play with who are my standard always have to make conscious efforts to adjust.

TennisNinja
09-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah it's tough. I had practice at the club for the first time in a couple weeks yesterday and I was just off a step in everything. Footwork was sloppy, and I didn't have my strokes anymore.

Just in our last match our #3 guy was injured and instead of moving me up (who's set as #5 in the rankings), or even the #6 guy, she gets the #7 guy to play singles. I still won my match but the #6 guy didn't even get to play a real match, just exhibition.

Oh well I have a decent doubles partner and I think we can do well this season.

ubermeyer
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
why shouldn't you?

mcutilize
09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah it's tough. I had practice at the club for the first time in a couple weeks yesterday and I was just off a step in everything. Footwork was sloppy, and I didn't have my strokes anymore.

Just in our last match our #3 guy was injured and instead of moving me up (who's set as #5 in the rankings), or even the #6 guy, she gets the #7 guy to play singles. I still won my match but the #6 guy didn't even get to play a real match, just exhibition.

Oh well I have a decent doubles partner and I think we can do well this season.

ben its not ur fault u cant play highschool players

when u play highschool u have to move ur feet even more because they give u a lot of ****** balls

GameSetNavritilova
09-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Obligated? Whatever happened to love of the game?