PDA

View Full Version : Will bernard Tomic make it anywhere

RFLEGEND
09-09-2009, 02:03 PM
is bernard tomic good enough to play pro tennis tell me your thoughts

AndrewD
09-09-2009, 02:17 PM

My thought is that, in asking if someone ranked 324 in the world is good enough to play pro tennis, you've given us the stupidest question in the history of this message board. Congratulations!

Rob_C
09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
My thought is that, in asking if someone ranked 324 in the world is good enough to play pro tennis, you've given us the stupidest question in the history of this message board. Congratulations!

Ouch!!............

GRANITECHIEF
09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Ouch!!............

What happened? Did you smack you shin on a serve follow through?

Tomic is 324 at 16 yo. Sounds like he's on a pretty good track toward to the upper level pros.

10isRocs
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM

I think he was insinuating that maybe he will go the way of Donald Young...great hopes at a young age but not quite a break through as of yet, unlike Sam Querry who was not on the radar at 16 in the pros but doing well now ...just a thought.

TennisNinja
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I think he was insinuating that maybe he will go the way of Donald Young...great hopes at a young age but not quite a break through as of yet, unlike Sam Querry who was not on the radar at 16 in the pros but doing well now ...just a thought.

Yeah that's what I thought too.

RFRF
09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
take it easy on the guy!

coloskier
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
To be honest, after watching his match against Domijian, I was not impressed. No real weapons, Domijian self imploded and gave away the match. Tomic does remind me a little of Young, not a lot of weapons and waits for the other player to make a mistake, which happens a lot more in juniors than in the pros.

T10s747
09-10-2009, 07:05 PM
At 6'4" and he's not hitting many winners. Looks like Donald Young revisited. Marin Cilic who made the Qtrs at the USO was the #2 junior in the world behind Donald Young in 2005!

TnsMan2
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
looking at Tomics feet he will not progress much more then 100 ,he was playing Domijan and it was very evident he needs a lot of work in that area he tends to take his first steps starting on his heels , seen this before on players , hes tall so that will make up for it some but over all its a major hitch!

TennisCoachFLA
09-11-2009, 05:50 PM
looking at Tomics feet he will not progress much more then 100 ,he was playing Domijan and it was very evident he needs a lot of work in that area he tends to take his first steps starting on his heels , seen this before on players , hes tall so that will make up for it some but over all its a major hitch!

100% correct. He has poor footwork and anticipation skills.

On paper he has a huge advantage over a Donald Young, Tomic has the size and frame to be so much more. Unfortunately it looks like his early coaching and looking for fast results will not lead him to develop the weapons or footwork to be a top 20 ATP player.

baseliner87
09-12-2009, 01:08 AM
i guess we'll see in a couple of years

*Gooch*
09-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Yeah we can't really tell at this stage of his career. I do think he's being slightly underestimated tho. He is a solid player who will develop more power as his body develops.

Tom C
09-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Tomic defeated Buchanan 1&3 but what's more interesting is... www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/tennis/now-is-the-time-to-spend-serious-cash-on-tomic-says-father-20090914-fmd1.html

tomas9848
09-13-2009, 12:57 PM
maybe idk he will have to bulk up.

AndrewD
09-13-2009, 01:12 PM

On paper he has a huge advantage over a Donald Young, Tomic has the size and frame to be so much more. Unfortunately it looks like his early coaching and looking for fast results will not lead him to develop the weapons or footwork to be a top 20 ATP player.

Mate, that's just a load of BS. The kid is 6`4 and still growing. Anyone who has the slightest idea about athletes knows that affects coordination. Tomic is slow, always has been, but his footwork is only being let down by a body that won't settle. His anticipation skills, on the other hand, are excellent. They're the reason why he's been able to overcome a lack of footspeed.

As for criticism of his early coaching and the desire for fast results, how would you know? The blokes he's had coaching him are imminently more qualified (Geoff Masters for one) than an anonymous internet presence who puts 'tennis coach' in their handle.

I'm basing my opinion on having watched him at close quarters for the past 6 years (he plays at my club). What's yours based on?

Kirko
09-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Mate, that's just a load of BS. The kid is 6`4 and still growing. Anyone who has the slightest idea about athletes knows that affects coordination. Tomic is slow, always has been, but his footwork is only being let down by a body that won't settle. His anticipation skills, on the other hand, are excellent. They're the reason why he's been able to overcome a lack of footspeed.

As for criticism of his early coaching and the desire for fast results, how would you know? The blokes he's had coaching him are imminently more qualified (Geoff Masters for one) than an anonymous internet presence who puts 'tennis coach' in their handle.

I'm basing my opinion on having watched him at close quarters for the past 6 years (he plays at my club). What's yours based on?

He's a "boy in a man's body" ; needs time like you said Andrew.

TnsMan2
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM

Mate im and athlete and understand footwork very well i boxed and grappled for years , i like tomics dad because he sees his sons legs (footwork ) are zero he says it in the article put up by Tom C . but there are some things that "cant" be fixed some that "can" Monica Seles had trouble her whole career with her toss

Ber***** feet are horrible he tends to run on his heels something that has nothing to do with growing its a habit that may not be broken , "will see"

onehandbh
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Unfortunately it looks like his early coaching and looking for fast results will not lead him to develop the weapons or footwork to be a top 20 ATP player.

What specifically do you believe (in his early coaching) it is
that will hamper him in the future? He may not be the fastest
guy and maybe a bit gangly since he grew to 6'4" but as
long as he keeps training and settles into his body, he should
gain speed, strength and coordination.

You don't have to be blessed with great speed and athleticism
like an NBA point guard to make it as a top pro. Size and
ball striking ability can make up for a lot. Look at Mardy Fish.
If tennis was getting the top echelon of athletes in the world
then, yeah, Bernard would be screwed, but it's not.
It's still a bit like the NBA was in the 1950's. Compare the
NBA back then to what it is today athlete-wise. Kobe vs.
Rick Barry one-on-one. Barry wouldn't get a shot off.

Ber***** feet are horrible he tends to run on his heels something that has nothing to do with growing its a habit that may not be broken , "will see"

^^^
Running on your heels is not a "habit that may not be broken."
That's absurd. That's like saying Bernard's calfs can't elevate
his heels above the ground.

onehandbh
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Tomic ignored the naysayers and now he is A-Tomic!

To be honest, after watching his match against Domijian, I was not impressed. No real weapons, Domijian self imploded and gave away the match. Tomic does remind me a little of Young, not a lot of weapons and waits for the other player to make a mistake, which happens a lot more in juniors than in the pros.

Tennis Is Magic
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Tomic ignored the naysayers and now he is A-Tomic!

Revived two year old thread is revived

TennisCoachFLA
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Hats off to the kid, he has improved the weaknesses I saw in the past something fierce. Phenomenal job. Now it gets harder though, once a player breaks through, can he keep building and building on his ranking with the other guys taking him very seriously. Getting to the top 100 is amazing, but the climb gets harder now.

Freak4tennis
06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Hats off to the kid, he has improved the weaknesses I saw in the past something fierce. Phenomenal job. Now it gets harder though, once a player breaks through, can he keep building and building on his ranking with the other guys taking him very seriously. Getting to the top 100 is amazing, but the climb gets harder now.

From the quali to the quarters is pretty impressive for a guy who hasn't reached his 19th birthday. For sure he will be a hard, and grass court contender.

Number1Coach
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Its ok there are kids that are 6'4 all over just depends on who is coaching them.

10schick
06-28-2011, 10:22 AM
just depends on who is coaching them.

Boy, aren't you right... Smartest thing you've ever said.

Number1Coach
06-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Boy, aren't you right... Smartest thing you've ever said.

I am the best out there I would know.

TennisCoachFLA
06-28-2011, 06:05 PM

So is the team moving to Florida still?

got spin?
06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Well see, hes still got alot to prove, Im sure alot of people were saying this about fed back in 01 against sampras. Look what hes done now. Tomic could be the next superstar, or he could be the next one slam wonder, or even less...

chalkflewup
06-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Its ok there are kids that are 6'4 all over just depends on who is coaching them.

Yes, but two weeks have passed. He's gotta be at least 6'7 by now and routinely serving a buck forty.

10schick
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
At BS, yes you are. The king of all.

BMC9670
06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Tomic - made the quarters at Wimby, took a set off of Djokovic, handled the press conference well. I don't know the backstory, but I'd say he's got a bright future.