PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Stringing and other equipment cost?

T10s747
09-09-2009, 03:26 PM
In D1 tennis teams, what does the school provide? Do they provide you with racquets, strings, shoes, socks, overgrips? Do you have to string your own racquet or pay for your own string cost? Trying to get a handle on what to expect. Thanks.

papatenis
09-09-2009, 05:06 PM
In D1 tennis teams, what does the school provide? Do they provide you with racquets, strings, shoes, socks, overgrips? Do you have to string your own racquet or pay for your own string cost? Trying to get a handle on what to expect. Thanks.

Some big D1 (shools with famous football teams) provide everything, while
D1's that have no big time (football or basketball) provide strings, shoes, uniforms, and misc. stuff. As for racquet's, at this D1, your first year on the team, you have to provide your own, I can't remember clearly, but if you play a certain percentage of the first year postion 1-6, then the next year they provide you with racquet's.

goran_ace
09-10-2009, 06:59 AM
I played at a mid-major DI, outside the top 25. We kept 12-14 guys on the roster and travelled with 7-8. Guys only got rackets if they really needed them (not enough rackets to get through a long weekend, cracked during play, etc). String and stringing was paid for at first, but then later we had to pay for labor when one of our teammates took over as the official team stringer. Overgrips were free. Everyone on the team got a bag full of stuff from clothing/shoe sponsor - typically a big racket racket bag, a smaller duffel bag, two pairs of shoes, 2-3 polo shirts, a bunch of t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, a bunch of socks.

tennismom42
09-10-2009, 07:40 AM
In D1 tennis teams, what does the school provide? Do they provide you with racquets, strings, shoes, socks, overgrips? Do you have to string your own racquet or pay for your own string cost? Trying to get a handle on what to expect. Thanks.for my son's team, they are provided with everything this year, except racquets. All is from addidas and some other brand. I'll have to ask. Everyone likes to use their own racquet anyway. They don't have a football team, it's D1 mid major. Kicker is they don't just hand it out. Aside from shoes and some basics, they have to "earn" the "want it" stuff. I don't know how they earn it, but it's not too difficult. Keep in mind that they're flying the kids across the nation to matches, feeding them during those 4-day trips, hotels, etc.

tennismom42
09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
for my son's team, they are provided with everything this year, except racquets. All is from addidas and some other brand. I'll have to ask. Everyone likes to use their own racquet anyway. They don't have a football team, it's D1 mid major. Kicker is they don't just hand it out. Aside from shoes and some basics, they have to "earn" the "want it" stuff. I don't know how they earn it, but it's not too difficult. Keep in mind that they're flying the kids across the nation to matches, feeding them during those 4-day trips, hotels, etc.

Kids? oops. LOL! I made myself laugh. These are "young men"

T10s747
09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Well, at least ******* away $$$ for junior tennis is over.

babolat15
09-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure most D1 schools provide everything...Vanderbilt for example:

10 pairs of Cage IIs or Ballistecs
4 Match Shirts
4 Practice Shirts
4 Match Shorts
4 Practice Shorts
4 Rackets
1 Racket Bag
As much Tecnifibre string as they need...they have to pay a little for Lux

stanfordtennis alum
09-19-2009, 04:22 PM
coach pays for almost everything at the BIG D1 schools.. all others they get some stuff for free

T10s747
09-22-2009, 11:15 AM

4 Match Shirts
4 Practice Shirts
4 Match Shorts
4 Practice Shorts
4 Rackets
1 Racket Bag

Some of the Ivys, the players have to pay like $8 for stringing. How much extra do they have to pay for ALU?

dantesinferno18
09-22-2009, 11:42 AM
what would you get for a D2 or D3 if anything

jaggy
09-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Each team at most D1 schools get a budget and dish out equipment accordingly.

TimmyG
10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I went to mid level D2 and they gave us:
2-3 pairs of shoes each year
free stringing (coach picked out a few decent quality reels to use)
free overgrips
a bunch of tshirts
jumbo travel bag
the match shirts and shorts were just checked out to us, we had to return them when we graduated

tomas9848
10-03-2009, 08:39 AM

4 Match Shirts
4 Practice Shirts
4 Match Shorts
4 Practice Shorts
4 Rackets
1 Racket Bag

thats pretty awesome.

Bud
10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I went to mid level D2 and they gave us:
2-3 pairs of shoes each year
free stringing (coach picked out a few decent quality reels to use)
free overgrips
a bunch of tshirts
jumbo travel bag
the match shirts and shorts were just checked out to us, we had to return them when we graduated

Are you serious? I'm betting the returned items (especially the shirts) were not pretty :shock:

tanh3
10-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I was the stringer for a D1
The school paid me directly to string there rackets.
It seemed like the players played with w/e string they felt comfortable and the coach ordered them in reels.
They got adidas shoes and dry fit shirts and shorts. 1-2 rackets depending on the player. and free overgrips