PDA

View Full Version : racquets degrade over time?

Sam F
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Last summer a rep from Prince told me "racquets degrade over time" and recommended I get a new frame while trying to come back from shoulder surgery and 15 years away from the game. She said older racquets break down and would be more harsh on my arm.

Does this make sense to y'all? I spoke w/ a sales rep at TW today who said he thought this meant that racquets degrade with use rather than time. So, if I wanted to buy a discontinued, but unused, racquet that a few years old that there wouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Rorsach
09-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Last summer a rep from Prince told me "racquets degrade over time" and recommended I get a new frame while trying to come back from shoulder surgery and 15 years away from the game. She said older racquets break down and would be more harsh on my arm.

Does this make sense to y'all? I spoke w/ a sales rep at TW today who said he thought this meant that racquets degrade with use rather than time. So, if I wanted to buy a discontinued, but unused, racquet that a few years old that there wouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts?

That's what sales reps want you to believe.

furyoku_tennis
09-10-2009, 12:18 AM
racquets wear down over time, but that's only if you're using them and restringing them. they can last quite a long time if taken care of and not abused.

MarrratSafin
09-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I believe she means racquets that have been used quite a lot. IMO the racquet won't just 'degrade' if you don't use it, it loses it's playability thru stringing and playing. Everytime a racquet is strung lots of pressure is applied to the frame and everytime you hit the ball with it too, it will flex. And of course when we accidentally (or purposely:shock:) bang the frame against ground/posts/fences etc during play it suffers too.

Sam F
09-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks very much, everyone. That certainly does make sense and I appreciate your feedback!

Kirko
09-10-2009, 01:01 AM

Any thoughts?

of Ozzie and Harriet with ricky Nelson. he told his Dad over breakfast that he read every young man needs a set of barbells he read it in a magazine and his father asked what magazine was that then name of and Rick Belson replied "Barbells". that prince guy is full of B################ S.

max
09-10-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm going through this one. I bought four frames around the year 1999 or 2000. Played a good bit with them, rotating them. I threw one away after it went punk about two years ago. I've got another that seems to be getting to the same point: a lack of a solid, firm feel (or a fluttering kind of feel) when I hit. There's a noticeable difference in performance with the others I've got.

So like it or not, I probably should x that one out. I string them regularly, monthly during the tennis season here in the *******.

THESEXPISTOL
09-10-2009, 06:29 AM
I think that modern racquets will be even more harsh on arm than the older ones.. The modern hyped racquets like Babolats are very stiff and light and that's not a good combo.