PDA

View Full Version : To tip or not to tip

scotus
09-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I'd like to know whether you'd leave a tip at a pizza place like this:

*You order with the cashier, rather than at the table.

*They give you paper cups and plates, but utencils are silverware.

*Drinks are self-served, but they bring the pizza to your table.

*Although they have trash cans around just like fast-food places, most people leave trash on the table for the employees for cleanup since the restaurant does not provide trays.

YULitle
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
No. I tip at Pizza Hut. They take my order at my table, bring food and drink to me and clean up when I'm done. That warrants a tip.

Generally, anything where I have to pay at a cashier in advance of getting my food, I don't tip.

albino smurf
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
occasionally i'll tip in counter purchase situations but usually it involves someone taking my money turning around and handing me my purchase. not really worthy of much more than price of purchase IMO.

SethIMcClaine
09-10-2009, 09:31 AM

*Although they have trash cans around just like fast-food places, most people leave trash on the table for the employees for cleanup since the restaurant does not provide trays.
Thats like asking if you tip at Hardees, they bring your food out to you...
I'd say no, but help them out and take care of your own trash.

LuckyR
09-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Tips are for service. Cooking food or handing it to you at the counter are not service above the bare minimum.

Preparing food to go in a restaurant that is a sit down place is an example of service, naturally bringing food to your table is service. Cleaning up tables that you have the option of cleaning up yourself is service.

SFrazeur
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Generally at a cafeteria style place one does not tip.

-SF

HellBunni
09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
personally I never understood the whole must tip thing.

Its all a scam by the restaurant so that they can pay their employees less.

I mean the definition of a tip is:
"a small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity:"

something that we give IF we liked the service. Not something that we MUST give at every restaurant. But nowadays, if you eat out you MUST give tip. Its so stupid.

And the whole "service" thing is stupid too. I mean the waiters just bring out your food and drink, doing their job. Nothing extra, nothing special, why MUST we pay extra when they are simply doing their job? I understand if I liked the waiter, and I tip them voluntarily.

Joeyg
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you, Mr Pink!

LuckyR
09-10-2009, 12:10 PM

"a small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity:"

something that we give IF we liked the service. Not something that we MUST give at every restaurant. But nowadays, if you eat out you MUST give tip. Its so stupid.

And the whole "service" thing is stupid too. I mean the waiters just bring out your food and drink, doing their job. Nothing extra, nothing special, why MUST we pay extra when they are simply doing their job? I understand if I liked the waiter, and I tip them voluntarily.

This post is exactly why, IMO, everyone should work in the food service industry at some point in their lives.

HellBunni
09-10-2009, 12:15 PM
This post is exactly why, IMO, everyone should work in the food service industry at some point in their lives.

I have worked as a waiter. And I still think this way.
Waiters are paid to do what they do, tip should be a reward if the customer feels that they desire it. It shouldn't be a MUST.

YULitle
09-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Yeah, I agree. I always tip something. But it is most certainly gauged on service.

Shahar26
09-10-2009, 04:15 PM

It seems you are aware of this "Scam", here in NYC waiter get payed around $2 an hour + tips, is it their fault? NO do they get screwed serving non tippers? YES

I suggest you see the movie "Waiting" it may change your mind :)

hankash
09-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I had a friend who was a waitress who only made $4/hr (after tips) one day because business was so slow.

It is a bit of a scam to subsidize the restaurant industry. They already make 50% profits on dishes, but I guess if they figure people have the money to eat out, they have the money to tip. If anyone should get tipped, it should be the chef in my opinion.

TonyB
09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
If people stopped tipping altogether, would the restaurants pay their waitstaff more money?

I think it's an experiment worth trying. Stop tipping. See what happens. If waiters leave their jobs for something that pays more, then you would think eventually those restaurants would increase the base pay to keep the waiters.

The ONLY reason they pay the waiters so little is because of the tips. Take away the tips and see what happens.

angharad
09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
If people stopped tipping altogether, would the restaurants pay their waitstaff more money?

The waiter would likely get fired. While a waiter can be paid $2.30/hour or whatever plus tips, they have to make minimum wage. If they don't make minimum wage in a given week, the employer must make up the difference. The issue is that the employer invariably hates doing this, and if it happens enough they'll fire the waiter. They believe that no tips means that waiter isn't good at their job.

It'd be a lot easier if they standardised it, either by adding a fixed-percentage gratuity or by paying servers minimum wage (at least) and having them not accept tips.

LuckyR
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I have worked as a waiter. And I still think this way.
Waiters are paid to do what they do, tip should be a reward if the customer feels that they desire it. It shouldn't be a MUST.

Then you are an extremely rare bird. My guess is <<1% of waiters would agree with you.

CanadianChic
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Which brings us back to:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108900

TonyB
09-10-2009, 08:27 PM
The waiter would likely get fired. While a waiter can be paid $2.30/hour or whatever plus tips, they have to make minimum wage. If they don't make minimum wage in a given week, the employer must make up the difference. The issue is that the employer invariably hates doing this, and if it happens enough they'll fire the waiter. They believe that no tips means that waiter isn't good at their job.

It'd be a lot easier if they standardised it, either by adding a fixed-percentage gratuity or by paying servers minimum wage (at least) and having them not accept tips.

What???? You missed my point entirely.

I mean that EVERYONE needs to stop tipping so that the waiters get paid a normal working wage. Here's the breakdown:

1. Everyone stops tipping.
2. Waiters end up getting paid virtually nothing because of the lack of tips.
3. Waiters quit to go find better paying jobs
4. Restaurants find themselves without any waiters and start paying higher wages to draw them back to work, otherwise they'll wind up out of business.

It's not that complicated. It really isn't.

angharad
09-10-2009, 08:55 PM
What???? You missed my point entirely.

I mean that EVERYONE needs to stop tipping so that the waiters get paid a normal working wage. Here's the breakdown:

1. Everyone stops tipping.
2. Waiters end up getting paid virtually nothing because of the lack of tips.
3. Waiters quit to go find better paying jobs
4. Restaurants find themselves without any waiters and start paying higher wages to draw them back to work, otherwise they'll wind up out of business.

It's not that complicated. It really isn't.

My point is that the waiters wouldn't get paid virtually nothing. The employers would be required to pay them at least minimum wage by law. That first batch of waiters dealing with a no-tipping public would likely be fired before they had a chance to quit. That's my issue with your "plan".

Lakoste
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM

I think it's an experiment worth trying. Stop tipping. See what happens. If waiters leave their jobs for something that pays more, then you would think eventually those restaurants would increase the base pay to keep the waiters.

The ONLY reason they pay the waiters so little is because of the tips. Take away the tips and see what happens.

Pretty sure that if the waiter doesn't make enough money that week in tips, the employer has to cough up the difference to make sure the waiter is making minimum wage.

scotus
09-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Thank you all for chiming in.

No tips for this pizza place then.

HellBunni
09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
It seems you are aware of this "Scam", here in NYC waiter get payed around $2 an hour + tips, is it their fault? NO do they get screwed serving non tippers? YES

I suggest you see the movie "Waiting" it may change your mind

I meant the owners of the restaurants are scamers, not the waiters.

I know they get paid next to nothing, and make the rest of their wage on tips.

but we already paid an inflated price for food at restaurants, why should we have to pay additional to help pay for the wait staff when the owner should be doing that.

dallastxtennis
09-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Same here, that's exactly how I feel but if we leave no tip they get mad and called you cheap.

crash1929
09-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I dont do a pick up order very often but when i do i never leave a tip i'm in and out. is this wrong?

Puddy
09-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Go to other countries where tipping is not a custom (NZ, Australia, Japan, etc.) and you'll find peeps who work just as hard to ensure good service yet they still get paid quite well. I have no idea if this helps the arguments discussed already...