PDA

View Full Version : Need help regarding arm/shoulder soreness ???

Tennis16
09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I currently play the Pro Kennex KI 5(new version). I switched to this racket from the K Blade 98, becuase that racket was making my arm very sore. Now that I am playing the KI 5 no more arm soreness, but my shoulder feels sore after a few sets. Is it possible that I am just not used to the added static weight of the KI 5 ? Thank you for your replies.

furyoku_tennis
09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
that's most likely the case, although to be safe, you should take a look at your technique and see if its causing you any discomfort during play. if its just the weight issue, then you'll get used to it after awhile.

ae1222
09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I had major reconstructive surgery on my elbow and I originally went to a light frame (the babolat pure storm, similar in weight to the blade) and it made my arm hurt so much that I couldn't really hit on back to back days. I thought the light weight would be good for my arm but I think it made me over-extend on my swing and put too much torque on my elbow.

I have since switched to a much heavier frame that is head light and now my arm barely hurts at all. I think the extra mass helps with the stability and the dampening effects and eases the strain on my elbow. Just my opinion, could be wrong.

But I do agree with furyoku, if you have technical issues in your swing that alone will cause joint pain no matter what frame you are using. But it sounds like the pain is subsiding so hopefully it will go away completely when you get used to the more heavy frame. Good luck!

fuzz nation
09-10-2009, 05:51 PM
A heavier racquet can often bring on a little shoulder soreness when you're first getting familiar with it. Your old muscle memory is running at the tempo that got the lighter racquet to the ball on time, but now the heavier load can force you to rush to catch up for proper contact.

I've usually seen my shoulder get a little sore from serving with a frame that I wasn't used to. I think that the shoulder is typically what has to rush the racquet up to the ball, even when I'm using a good leg drive.

samster
09-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Ki5 is one of the best frames for arm protection (elbow or shoulder). I would say give it some time. What string are you using?

Tennis16
09-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I currently have the KI 5 strung with Technifibre NRG 2 @ 55 lbs.