PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice ........

prince
02-22-2004, 09:27 PM
I use a tour 90 and i use a laserfiber MS200TT. I use prince lightning xx and dunlop max comfort 17 guage at 54 lbs tension .

i have a friend who also uses tour 90 . he used to play with kevlar coz he is a string breaker and developed some shoulder and elbow problems . i did string his racquets (2 tour 90's) a week ago with technifiber e-matrix 17 guage at 55 lbs and he only used it for about 3 hours of play and it broke (string) at the middle of the stringbed.

then after 2 days he let me string both tour 90's with sensation supreme 17 guage at 54 lbs . these strings id say lasted 4 hours and in both racquets , the string broke between the 3rd and 4th hole at the head.

i am very careful when i string and in my racquets i have about 8-10 hours of play on them and they have not broke yet . i am wondering about where his strings broke between the 3rd and 4th hole - if i made any mistakes , or if a string breaker can break strings in this location.i wanna know the causes so i can do better next time .

also i want to know what strings you can recommend for my friend.

tnx a lot and i hope you have some ideas for me .

!<-_->!
02-22-2004, 09:42 PM
If your talking about the very top of the frame (not quite sure what you mean by 3rd and 4th hole), he could just have framed the shot and it broke. Quite a bit of people actually frame a shot and break their strings. As for the E-Matrix, this string is known to not be very durable. It is quite possible that you did something wrong, but it's unlikely since your strings haven't broken yet. As a suggestion, he could try using some polyester strings. They aren't as durable as kevlar, but they also aren't as harsh as kevlar. Also, moving from kevlar to a multi would probably result in massive string breakage.

prince
02-22-2004, 09:46 PM
yes , the string broke at the top of the frame . i saw him break one when he was serving and i think he did a mis hit and hit the ball near the top of the frame - where string broke.

what poly strings sould i start with - i think he wants an arm friendly string with some pop as well .

kentuckytennisdude
02-23-2004, 01:13 PM
I would suggest the following poly strings:

Luxilon Alu Power or Alu Power Rough
Luxilon Big Banger Original or Original Rough
Luxilon Monotec Zolo (Its a very good poly for a good reasonable price)
Kirschbaum Touch Turbo
Kirschbaum Competition
Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey or Super Smash Spiky

These are the most used poly's today. I would go with the Luxilon Monotec Zolo to start out with, its the cheapest.

Hope I helped

prince
02-23-2004, 02:25 PM
tnx guys .

David Pavlich
02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Make sure you check the bumper guard. If it gets worn badly enough, it exposes the strings to scraping on those low shots. Once the strings get scraped, it takes little to pop them.

Also check the grommets. A bad one will allow the string to contact the edge of the frame. Not good.

Also make sure you aren't making any crossovers on the head. A crossover will cause the string to stand taller than it should and again, will allow the string to be damaged if scraped.

A couple of bad frames for this is the Ti/I Radicals. The string channel is VERY shallow. I keep a half dozen grommet kits around just for these frames.
David

Plawan
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I think it's his hitting style that breaks strings, first one in the middle-hit hard and/or heavy topspin, the second one common to mishit serve or return of a hard serve. Considering his shoulder and elbow problem, you might want to hybrid poly main (the list suggested by kentuckytennisdude is pretty good) with E-matrix or other soft string (Alpha Gut 2000, Prince Syn Gut Org, Gosen OG) cross or the cross that your friend used with his kevlar (unless he used to use whole kevlar job). The cross doesn't soften much of the string bed, but it's still softer than whole job.