PDA

View Full Version : Pro Staff Classic 6.1 at 100sq inch head size?

ipitythefool
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I am wondering what racquet would be considered to be like a PSC 6.1, but at 100sq head size.

Basically a racquet comparable to PSC 6.1 in terms of power, plough-through and stability, but in a more forgiving 100 sq in head.

Please share your thoughts.
Thanks.

counterpuncher
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I'd say you'd be looking at racquets such as the PDR, Dunlop 500 Tour, Radical Pro, Extreme Pro, Youtek Speed and Exo3 Graphite 100.

canadave
09-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Those are all good choices...but bear in mind that the difference between the PSC 6.1's 95 sq. in. head, and a 100 sq. in. head, is really quite minimal. You won't notice a dramatic difference in terms of "forgiveness".

Not to mention that the 95 sq. in. head of the PSC is quite adequate for anything even a rec player might need to do. I'm a hack, and it worked fine for me for years :)

fuzz nation
09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd say take a look at the BB 11 Special Edition.

I've looked around for a switch away from my 6.1 Classics for a long time and I've settled in nicely with the Volkl C10 Pro 98's. They're graphite/kevlar with a little bit larger head, more flex, a similar head-light balance, and I've found them to be generally more forgiving. Their PB 10 might also be a decent option - haven't tried it myself.

The Yonex RDS 002 Tour is another nice frame with wonderful serve and volley performance, but I didn't find the control at the baseline with this racquet that I've gotten from the Volkls. I unloaded mine, but if I get a chance to grab another one to noodle with, I might revisit that frame.

canadave
09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
fuzz,

Out of curiosity, is the C10 MUCH more flexy than the 6.1, or slightly more? Also, is it noticeably lighter, or does it feel about the same? (specs put it just under a half ounce lighter).

Fed Kennedy
09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
If you want it to be stiff and soilid like a 6.1 i would get a roddick or an aerogel 500 and lead the handle

dadozen
09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I think that a PDR would be fine, with a bit of lead on the handle. The 500 Tour is too light and would demand too much lead.

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 12:35 AM
fuzz,

Out of curiosity, is the C10 MUCH more flexy than the 6.1, or slightly more? Also, is it noticeably lighter, or does it feel about the same? (specs put it just under a half ounce lighter).

sorry for jumping in, but IMO the C10 is MUCH more flexy than the 6.1 especially in the upper hoop. the swingweight on the c10 and static weight are noticeably lighter than the 6.1, but still solid.

fuzz nation
09-11-2009, 06:12 AM
fuzz,

Apologies to the OP for the thread going in this direction, but since the C10 is a potential alternative to the good ol' 6.1 Classic, I guess this is relevant enough.

Dave-of-cana, it's funny with the C10 in contrast to the ProStaff, at least for me. Although the Volkl is comfortably soft for me, I also feel as though it's at least as lively as the 6.1, but that might be because of the extra control I enjoy with the C10. I string mine only a pound or two looser than my ProStaffs and can hit them more consistently from the baseline, so I may have a little more of a liscense to whup on the ball with more success.

When I first got my C10's, the softer hoop seemed a bit odd because there's certainly less juice in the stringbed as you go up toward the tip. It's taken me a long stretch of off-again, on-again use of these racquets to really settle in with them and a lot of that transition was about trying multi's and syn. gut in these frames at different tensions. If I take out a 6.1 these days, I'm aware of its extra firmness, but I've never really perceived these racquets as harsh. They just have especially good punch and bite.

The Volkls have familiar head-light balance and although I'm not always crazy about using lead tape, I tried a little 3/9 o'clock lead on one of my C10's and it seems to be just right. With 17 gauge syn. gut at 63-64 lbs., I like the crisp contact, but I can feel the flex in the racquet, too. Not overly soft and vague like a waterbed, but just enough to be more comfortable than my older gear. They're great for me, but I'll admit that I want to eventually try the BB 11 mid along with the PB 10 mid somewhere down the road.

adso1973
09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Why don't you check out the new prokennex line..

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5N.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5PSN.html

I didn't test them but the spec look nice...

As another one suggested.. RDS002 Tour.. or the RQis 1 tour, specs are almost as teh PS.. but much more forgiving..

dadozen
09-11-2009, 10:39 AM
The Yonex RDS 002Tour indeed seems to be very similar.

dennis1188
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I remember seeing in a Florence (IT) shop a ps 6.1 model that was 98sqin (it had purple/yellow/red graphics and logo), this was bk in the mid 90's. It was price about us$180 then.

adso1973
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
there are some old (not too old) wilson models.. the PS Rock 98 and Surge 100 (it became the Pro Open with the time) .. but can't remember good reviews about them.