PDA

View Full Version : Can the balance of a racket affect the swing speed?

ac3111
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I was wondering if it is only weight that affects how fast you can swing a racket. But I feel that an 8pts (1 inch) headlight racket despite being a bit heavier one could swing it faster and generate more pace than a slightly lighter but headheavy or even balanced racket.

So if someone wants to go to something lighter in order to swing faster should take into consideration the balance point of the lighter racket?

MarrratSafin
09-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, quite true. I can whip a 9pts HL 360g stick like anything but find an even balance 340g stick reduce my swing speed noticeably.

ac3111
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I was thinking of switching from K 95 18 x 20 to K Blade 98 because there is considerable difference in weight and the Blade has a bigger headsize.
I am sure I will miss the solid feeling of the K 95 but against better players I need more speed and swingspeed beside the footspeed...

fuzz nation
09-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Definitely get to know the balance that you like in a racquet.

I typically use 12.5-13.0 oz frames, but I need them to be around 9-10 pts. head-light to handle the way I want them to. I have a Redondo midplus and a Donnay Pro One which are both somewhat lighter, but they feel rather sluggish for me because they aren't as head-light as my more familiar racquets.

If your K 95 seems slow for you, I'd recommend dropping some lead under your grip to see if the different balance works. I got a pair of LM Prestige mids a couple of years back which were useless for me until I put lead tape on their grips. Now they weigh 13.4 oz., but with the more HL balance, they are night-and-day more playable, yet still stable and solid.

furyoku_tennis
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
balance definitely affects the swingspeed. just imagine swinging a hammer. the bigger the hammer head gets, the harder it can be to swing.

corners
09-11-2009, 05:09 AM
Theoretically yes, practically - it probably depends on the relationship between the racquet and your swingstyle.

If we suppose that we can swing a racquet with a lower swingweight faster than a racquet with a higher swingweight, then yes:

Racquet A:

Weight: 12 ounces (340 grams)
Swingweight: 322
Balance: 32.5 cm (6 HL)
Swingweight at wrist axis: 466
Swingweight at shoulder axis: 2353

Racquet B:
Weight: 12 ounces (340g)
Swingweight: 322
Balance: 31.5 cm (9 HL)
Swingweight at wrist axis: 461
Swingweight at shoulder axis: 2314

Two racquets identical, but for balance. The more headlight racquet has a lower effective swingweight at the two body axes listed. The wrist axis is definitely a more realistic place to measure swingweight than 4" from the butt so these numbers are meaningful. But in general the relationship between swingweight and swingspeed is not entirely clear.

ac3111
09-11-2009, 07:29 AM
The K 95 is 8 pts headlight and the K Blade 98 only 3pts and with less swingweight.
So the K Blade 98 will be easier to swing and able to swing faster than the K 95...