PDA

View Full Version : How To Decide When You Like More Than One Racquet?

JackB1
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Just wondering if anyone else was in this predicament and how they figured it out? I am currently play-testing 3 racquets and I like all three! They are:

1) Babolat Pure Storm Tour
2) Prince Ozone Tour
3) Head Microgel Radical Pro

They are all very similar to me. The Head "feels" the heaviest with the most "plow-thru", followed by the PST, then the Ozone feels the lightest. But they are all within a point or 2 in swingweight of each other.

So how do I decide which to keep? I don't want to keep flip flopping from one to the other. Should I just stick with one for say a month........then another for a month...then another? Should I try them one at a time in league matches and just keep the one I win more with? Or....do I just keep trying all 3 out during the same hitting sessions until I can decide on one?

Just a little about me.....I am a 3.5 male player....45 yrs old....play both doubles and singles....use a SW grip f/h and a 2hbh....play mostly baseline during singles, but all-around during doubles. Take a medium-long swing, but try to let the racquet do most of the work.

So which racquet would u pick if you HAD to choose one or what would you do in my situation? Thanks and please also vote for one in the poll.

meowmix
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
If they all feel close to you, and you like all of them, then I'd pick the lightest one (I think the Ozone Tour) and just stick with it. If you feel like you need to add weight, there's always lead tape at hand. Forget about the other rackets, and just stick with it.

tigerstring
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd probably look at price as a big factor if all three rackets were that close in preference. If Price is that similar I'd take all three out for a demo and keep rotating them till I find the one I play best with. Ask the person you're hitting with if they notice any difference in your game with the three, and most importantly, pick the one you wan the most.

daddioX2
09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
hmm. I would say, try them out and find the one where your worst shot plays the best.
What I mean is, if your backhand is your weakest, then which racquet are you feeling most comfortable and hitting the best on the backhand. If your volley is worst, then which has the best volley's for you.

The rest of your game should fall in line, since you found them so similar.

JackB1
09-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Some good advice so far....:)

I thought I would post the specs side by side for comparison's sake:

Ozone Storm Rad
weight 335 343 343
bal 6HL 6HL 4HL
sw 326 328 324
stiff 62 65 68
power 2021 2089 2149
string 16x18 16x20 16x19

Only differences that stand out are string pattern, stiffness & weight.
The Radical is slightly less headlight than the other 2. Power levels
are similar. Ozone is most flexible and also has the most open string pattern.
Even though the Pure Storm has the highest swingweight, the Radical clearly
"feels" the heaviest to me, due to it's 2 pts less in HL balance.

I have been having some tennis elbow issues lately (which have been improving greatly since switching to less stiff racquets and using a 2hbh instead of a 1hbh) so I purposely sought out slightly heavier frames that have lower stiffness ratings.

So far, I would put the PST in the lead, with the Ozone Tour 2nd and the Radical Pro 3rd. I might have to eliminate the Radical first due to having the highest stiffness rating and being slightly head heavier than the other 2. I also am not crazy about the "square-ish" Head grips. The Pure Storm Tour would be the clear winner if it had the Ozone's low stiffness rating and it's open string pattern. The Ozone would be the winner if it was 10 g's heavier (I don't like to add lead). The Radical would be the winner with a rounder handle and less stiffness.

Everyone, don't forget to vote for your choice!!! Thanks again!

donut
09-10-2009, 10:42 PM
if they all play the sameish to you, and they all cost around the same, then.... wel which one do you think looks the coolest or matches your outfits :D

i like the babolat though.

Meaghan
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
The Ozone, Its prob the easiest to use all round and if it feels a little light just add a few gramms of lead in the handle and hoop and you'll notice a big difference in the way that it plays.
More spin and power than the Head, decent control.
Cant really give you an un bias view on the PS, I just dont like the way they feel.

JackB1
09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
The Ozone, Its prob the easiest to use all round and if it feels a little light just add a few gramms of lead in the handle and hoop and you'll notice a big difference in the way that it plays.
Cant really give you an un bias view on the PS, I just dont like the way they feel.

What is it about the "feel" of the Pure Storm that you didn't like? Many people talk about the PS as having a nice, "buttery" feel or an "old school, graphite" feel. I think that I am going to throw the Radical Pro out of the mix, just due to the handle (weird reason...I know).

About leading up the Ozone.....I would like to add 10 g's overall, to make it around 345, like the PST. But, I don't want to change the HL balance. So would I do something like add 4 g's at 10 & 2 and 6 g's on the handle? Also, is it better to use lead fishing weights inside the handle or just put strips down along the handle under the grip?

djnemo
09-11-2009, 09:23 AM
if you want to add weight to the ozone tour, just get the ozone pro tour....

Keifers
09-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Jack,
I agree, some good advice above.

I would only add that, for me, the best way to decide is to go with the one that you play most effectively with -- by which I mean the one you win most easily and consistently with, and most enjoy hitting with.

It's in actual play -- not on paper or in your mind -- that all the specs and design features come together.

Good luck. And have fun with this.

GS
09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Keep demo-ing all 3 while you can, then decide on one. Then, tweak it out with some lead tape (if needed), and find a favorite string and tension. Then you've arrived---meaning, you've found a stick and stringjob that you can get used to and feel confident with later. (The old slogan used to be, "you don't play the racquet, you play the strings.")
I'm a 4.5 and it took me 6 weeks to get used to my new Princes---I already knew the strings and tension to use.

JediMindTrick
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
If you have tennis elbow problems, then stick with the Ozone Tour, one of the most comfy racquets on the market right now, both because of the low stiffness rating and the O ports. If you want it about 10g heavier, instead of lead tape, think about putting a leather grip on it. This will give you the extra weight plus it will give you more feel.

JackB1
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
If you have tennis elbow problems, then stick with the Ozone Tour, one of the most comfy racquets on the market right now, both because of the low stiffness rating and the O ports. If you want it about 10g heavier, instead of lead tape, think about putting a leather grip on it. This will give you the extra weight plus it will give you more feel.

Won't a "firmer" leather grip transmit more bad vibes to my arm? How many grams does a leather grip add? approx?

JediMindTrick
09-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Won't a "firmer" leather grip transmit more bad vibes to my arm? How many grams does a leather grip add? approx?

The leather grip adds 9 to 12 g I think. As far as bad vibes, the Ozone Tour is so dampened that the leather grip would only enhance the feel, I doubt that racquet can vibrate no matter what you do to it.

akybo
09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone else was in this predicament and how they figured it out? I am currently play-testing 3 racquets and I like all three! They are:

1) Babolat Pure Storm Tour
2) Prince Ozone Tour
3) Head Microgel Radical Pro

They are all very similar to me. The Head "feels" the heaviest with the most "plow-thru", followed by the PST, then the Ozone feels the lightest. But they are all within a point or 2 in swingweight of each other.

So how do I decide which to keep? I don't want to keep flip flopping from one to the other. Should I just stick with one for say a month........then another for a month...then another? Should I try them one at a time in league matches and just keep the one I win more with? Or....do I just keep trying all 3 out during the same hitting sessions until I can decide on one?

Just a little about me.....I am a 3.5 male player....45 yrs old....play both doubles and singles....use a SW grip f/h and a 2hbh....play mostly baseline during singles, but all-around during doubles. Take a medium-long swing, but try to let the racquet do most of the work.

So which racquet would u pick if you HAD to choose one or what would you do in my situation? Thanks and please also vote for one in the poll.
I bold the 2 keys from your message :)
If you like the racquet to do most of the work take the one with the best plowthru.

JackB1
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I bold the 2 keys from your message :)
If you like the racquet to do most of the work take the one with the best plowthru.

Thats not really my keys. I can always add some lead to the other 2 to get similar plowthru with those. If that was my criteria, I would just go to the store and by the heaviest racquet on the wall :)

Fed Kennedy
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
16x20 might save you some cash on strings

JackB1
09-12-2009, 11:01 AM

I want to give this a try...

So if I change to a leather grip, I would then put 4g's each at 10 & 2 to keep balance the same? Can I measure the balance point before I start with something like a metal ruler (on its edge) and mark it on the racquet and then make sure when I'm all done, it balances at the same spot?

JackB1
09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
just an update.......

I am really leaning towards the Pure Storm Tour right now, but as a last chance effort for the Ozone, I added about 8 grams to it (4 @ 3&9 and 4 on handle) and will restest it a little more to see if it gives me the same plowthru as the Storm, now that its weighted the same.

Please vote if u haven't already. Thanks!

JackB1
09-17-2009, 07:18 AM

Hey Meaghan......you seem to be an expert on the Ozone....

Do you know if you can get the buttcap off and if you can add weight inside it? How did you do it?

Don S
09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
You need to take all 3 of those racquets to the court, Then you need to find the guys or girls that play better than you and start seeing which racquet does the most for you when you get into trouble. Judging how good your volleys are when you've set them up with great approach shots is important obviously, but even more so is how are you going to play defensivly with each of those frames? How well can the racquet get you out of trouble? How's the Babolat when you get pulled out wide? Have someone feed you balls from sideline to sideline. The serve is the one shot you can't fake. You'll have to do it at least three times a set, That's 12 points that your racquet should not lose for you and should put you in a position to win the point outright or put you in an advantageous position for the next shot. The key is finding the racquet that you can step onto the court with and know that you're going to give the guy on the other side of the net a serious fight.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I would switch to the babolat but when you say i want a racquet that does alot of the work i would go with the Radical. The babolat isnt a helpful racquet IMO.

dadozen
09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
I have two requirements:

1) If I keep admiring the racquet when I'm home, holding it, swinging it, playing with it, then it's because I really like it. For example, I get my 300Ts to play with everyday.

2) At the court, it needs to be the exact opposite: I can't think about the racquet, only about the game itself. If I keep thinking about the racquet too much, it's because either I don't like it or it affects my game in a bad way.

jasonmiller
09-17-2009, 11:07 AM
^^ That's good. I'm going to remember that.

JackB1
09-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I have two requirements:

1) If I keep admiring the racquet when I'm home, holding it, swinging it, playing with it, then it's because I really like it. For example, I get my 300Ts to play with everyday.

2) At the court, it needs to be the exact opposite: I can't think about the racquet, only about the game itself. If I keep thinking about the racquet too much, it's because either I don't like it or it affects my game in a bad way.

#1.... I never do with any racquet. If I'm not playing, it just sits in my bag.
#2 makes a little more sense. If the racquet feels like an extention of your arm/body....then you're on the right track.

I just need some more playtesting time, but I am leaning towards the PST at the moment. The crappy rainy weather every day lately in Atlanta is preventing me from doing anything :( Last time I played was Mon.

dadozen
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
#1.... I never do with any racquet. If I'm not playing, it just sits in my bag.#2 makes a little more sense. If the racquet feels like an extention of your arm/body....then you're on the right track.

I just need some more playtesting time, but I am leaning towards the PST at the moment. The crappy rainy weather every day lately in Atlanta is preventing me from doing anything :( Last time I played was Mon.

That's absolutely normal. I just said that because I know I'm a freaking addicted to tennis. Good thing is that I was able to drag my girlfriend to the sport as well so I don't get too many complaints about sleeping with the racquets next to the bed:lol:

Meaghan
09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey Meaghan......you seem to be an expert on the Ozone....

Do you know if you can get the buttcap off and if you can add weight inside it? How did you do it?

Hi Jack
yes Im deffo a big fan of it but it only fell in line since i added a little weight.
Firstly as someone above said why not the PRO version it comes in at 343g?

I dont put weight inside the handle, dont really see the point unless it was a large amount. Yes id put 6g at top of the buttcap (just wrap it around) and 4g at 12"" in the hoop. You'll notice the difference in plow thro immediately. it'll bring the SW up too about 342. Dont bee scared of this number, you dont really feel it as it kinda swings itself.
I did this to the OPT (12g in handle and 7 at 12") and its had a major affect on my game.

Meaghan
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Jack i must have talked about this on numerous occassions.
Just try it and let us know, you can take it off if it doesnt work.
It'll be intereting to see what you think.

I just played and Im so delighted at the lack of unforced errors with my OPT and my depth of shot

JackB1
09-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Jack
yes Im deffo a big fan of it but it only fell in line since i added a little weight.
Firstly as someone above said why not the PRO version it comes in at 343g?

I dont put weight inside the handle, dont really see the point unless it was a large amount. Yes id put 6g at top of the buttcap (just wrap it around) and 4g at 12"" in the hoop. You'll notice the difference in plow thro immediately. it'll bring the SW up too about 342. Dont bee scared of this number, you dont really feel it as it kinda swings itself.
I did this to the OPT (12g in handle and 7 at 12") and its had a major affect on my game.

I dont want the Pro version because its rated a little stiffer and its got a more closed string pattern.

So you wrap the weight around the top of the grip, under where that black rubber "thingy" is where the top of the grip ends? or above that?

I already put 4g's along the handle (under the grip) and 4g's (2 ea) at 10 & 2. I didn't want to change the balance. I haven't had a chance to try it yet with the extra weight......hopefully tonite, if the weather clears up.
If I dont like how that feels, I'll try it your way. I'm curious to see ig 8g's makes a difference. It doesn't feel any differerent dry swinging.

Meaghan
09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I dont want the Pro version because its rated a little stiffer and its got a more closed string pattern.

So you wrap the weight around the top of the grip, under where that black rubber "thingy" is where the top of the grip ends? or above that?

I already put 4g's along the handle (under the grip) and 4g's (2 ea) at 10 & 2. I didn't want to change the balance. I haven't had a chance to try it yet with the extra weight......hopefully tonite, if the weather clears up.
If I dont like how that feels, I'll try it your way. I'm curious to see ig 8g's makes a difference. It doesn't feel any differerent dry swinging.

if you choose to put the weight at the top of the handle, yes its at the top of the grip so its not seen.

The 4g in the hoop will make a difference but not a huge one. I could feel a major difference with 7g although it was at 12" where it has the most effect.

The OPT doesnt feel stiff at all and the 18 x 20 SP has more control and still delivers massive spin.

JackB1
09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=Meaghan;3952025] Yes id put 6g at top of the buttcap (just wrap it around) and 4g at 12"" in the hoop. You'll notice the difference in plow thro immediately.

I just realized you said "top of the buttcap". Is that under the grip at the very bottom of the handle?