PDA

View Full Version : The different MG Prestiges

Yoh
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
So my demos arrived... Speed Pro, MG Prestige Mid, PST old and GT version.

First thing... ruled out the Speed Pro. Too sluggish and nothing special about the racket.

After 3 hours, im still having trouble deciding between the other 3...

The 2 PSTs felt almost the same... I think im leaning towards the non-GT version... however I felt like the racket was fragile and about to break....

Now the big problem... the Prestige... my first shot with it, I almost felt in love with the response I got; deep, stiff and solid feel and perfect control. However there was one thing... I felt like the balance was a bit weird (anyone else on this?) felt a little head heavy or so even though it totally is not. The threw me off on the serves quite a bit and thus im not sure about this racket.

If anyone felt the same way about the prestige... I just needed some assurance... and I wanna know whether the MidPlus and the Pro swings/balance the same as the Mid? So i might have to demo those...

dr325i
09-10-2009, 08:12 PM
So my demos arrived... Speed Pro, MG Prestige Mid, PST old and GT version.

First thing... ruled out the Speed Pro. Too sluggish and nothing special about the racket.

After 3 hours, im still having trouble deciding between the other 3...

The 2 PSTs felt almost the same... I think im leaning towards the non-GT version... however I felt like the racket was fragile and about to break....

Now the big problem... the Prestige... my first shot with it, I almost felt in love with the response I got; deep, stiff and solid feel and perfect control. However there was one thing... I felt like the balance was a bit weird (anyone else on this?) felt a little head heavy or so even though it totally is not. The threw me off on the serves quite a bit and thus im not sure about this racket.

If anyone felt the same way about the prestige... I just needed some assurance... and I wanna know whether the MidPlus and the Pro swings/balance the same as the Mid? So i might have to demo those...

The solution for you is the TGK237.1 - Pro version of the Prestige MID that is lighter and different balance from the Retail so you can easily customize it...

lobolouie
09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
For me, the first thing that came to mind when hitting with the Prestige Mid was how flexible it was in the upper hoop. I loved the pick up/static weight of the frame, it's perfect IMO.

Yoh
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Need to know if the other 2 feel the same... i dont mean when hitting, but when swinging and just in the hand... the mid was just a bit weird to me...

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 12:25 AM
slap a leather grip on the prestige and it should fix the balance situation.

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Leather grips are your best friend on the Prestige mid.. Counter balances the head.. I did that and it improved the frame alot.. Just a simple bit of advice..

Yoh
09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
ok so u guys agree that it actually feels kinda head heavy although it is supposedly quite headlight right?

does the other prestiges feel the same? the Microgel ones

PED
09-11-2009, 10:18 AM
ok so u guys agree that it actually feels kinda head heavy although it is supposedly quite headlight right?

does the other prestiges feel the same? the Microgel ones

I don't find it head heavy but it swings a bit heavier than the other MG Prestiges: Pro is a 315 SW, MP is a 319 and the Mid is a 329. I've got both the Mid and the Pro and I've got my Pro leaded up to match the 329SW of the Mid.

Leather should help you out on that issue though-you're right about the Mid, the response and feel is top notch :)

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
it may also have been head's quality control. my microgel prestiges have a leather grip and lead tape in the upper hoop and are both about 6 pts headlight. they don't feel sluggish at all. the mp and the pro definitely feel more headlight and are easier to swing thru the air though, probably because they're a bit lighter than the mid.

Yoh
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Argh so hard to decide on a new racket... dont really want to do a 2nd demo but might have to...

PED
09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I came to my Prestiges from the PST. Considering your comments about the Mid, I am surprised that you didn't find the PST a bit more sluggish since the SW is around 333. I do find the Prestiges to be a bit more accurate than the PST but the 16X20 pattern is a nice compromise.

I know a guy who just pulled the trigger on the new PST-GT and he loves it. I've not tried the new one yet myself.

The Pro is my go to stick as I like the more open pattern and I'm more consistent with the slightly bigger head.

Yoh
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
why did you change from the PST to the Prestige?

Aces09
09-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I used to use the prestige MP and I really loved the response, forgiving, amazing on serve, plenty of spin and a nice pocketing feel. I've never used the mid, but I think you should definitely give the MP a shot, it's a great racquet.

(but once I tried the [K] Prostaff 88 I had to make the switch :-D lol)

Yoh
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
bump for more opinions

PED
09-11-2009, 02:57 PM
why did you change from the PST to the Prestige?

Crisper feel and better control. I used the PST for 18 months and it hits a nice heavy ball but I feel I can hit just as heavy with the Prestige Pro and put it away better when I get the chance. The lack of crispness in the pst made me want to switch. I've not played with the GT version yet but have heard that it plays much crisper than the older version.

BTW, this thread made me take out the Mid today after a long time without playing. WOW, it was just awesome, great depth, tremendous weight of shot and no issues at all with shanking with the small head size :) I'm glad you brought this thread up. I'm going to string it up with PL2 this weekend and use it all next week...at the very least.

Supracool94
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
The solution for you is the TGK237.1 - Pro version of the Prestige MID that is lighter and different balance from the Retail so you can easily customize it...

I have three TGK237.1 Prestiges and they feel great! These racquets have given me, the greatest amount of control of any racquet I've ever played with!

PED
09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I have three TGK237.1 Prestiges and they feel great! These racquets have given me, the greatest amount of control of any racquet I've ever played with!

What's your string and tension in the 237?

Supracool94
09-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Racquet 1: (M) Gaucho Nat. Gut (X) MSV Hex 1.18
Racquet 2: (M) TF X-1 17 (X) MSV Hex 1.18
Racquet 3: (M) VS Gut 15L (X) TF Black Code 16

All the same tension: Mains 58 lbs and Crosses 52.2 lbs

dr325i
09-11-2009, 03:26 PM

wow poly crosses + crosses lower tension...
Interesting

geesechops
09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Initially I didn't like the MG Prestige Mid that much. It was nice, but no wow factor. After 3 weeks I was hooked. Now it's been over a year and even though I have tried many others, nothing compares to the versatility and comfort I feel with this racquet.

All I hope for is maybe a point or two increase in stiffness when the new ones come out. And even if that happens, I think I will still stick with these because of the paintjob and heavy cost of custom pallets and RPNY leathers.

PED
09-11-2009, 06:04 PM

The best setup I ever had in my PST was X1 mains crossed with Cyberflash...unfortunately, it only last around 70 minutes. Great pop and great spin. I might have to revisit that in the Mid.

steve728
09-12-2009, 09:58 PM

I tried supracool94's racquet 1 set up today (Gut with MSV Hex) and it was great. Thanks for the tip! Much better than the Timo M / PSGD X I had in there before. A lot more pop, especially on serve, and great spin.

I'm still wondering if I should try full gut in the Mid. Want a little heavier ball but want to keep the spin. Any recommendations?

steve728
09-12-2009, 10:03 PM
bump for more opinions

to the OP, sorry, forgot to add that on serve, i felt the same way you did at first. but with a leather grip and the right strings/tension, the MGPM becomes much more alive and "natural" on the serve.