PDA

View Full Version : Advice on ProKennex Pro 7g, Ki 5, Ki 15 PSE

doug4
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I demoed the ProKennex Pro 7g and found it just a bit too difficult to swing. Perhaps the swingweight is a little too high for me. I think I might prefer just a bit more power on ground strokes, but I did like serving with it. I am a 4.0+ player, but I'm over 45 now. I think the 7g would have been perfect for me about 15 years ago.

How does the Ki 5 and Ki 15 PSE compare to the 7g in power, control, easy to swing, and arm friendliness?

Is the Ki 15 PSE a lot more powerful or just a little bit more than the 7g?

As far as stiffness goes, does the 15 PSE feel more, less, or about the same as it stiffness rating (66 RDC)?

Would you consider the Ki 15 PSE to be more of a tweener or maybe a players plus?

Is the ki 5 or 7g more powerful or are they very close in power? Which is easier to swing and generate your own power?

Thanks,

flatball
09-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Doug 4
I have used the 7g several years ago. Before I used the 5g. I now use the Ki15PSE and the Ki15. The Ki15PSE is more powerfull than the 7G. The swing weight of the Ki15PSE is about the same as the 7g.The K15 has a lower swing weight . The K15PSE is more powerfull than the K15. The K15 is more powerfull than the 7g.

the Ionic series PK racquets feel a little stiffer than the Kinetic series.

According to one website the K15PSE was designed for WTA players. But I would put it a tweener.
The 7G was more powerfull than the 5G. But I never hit with the Ki5.
I am 72 years old I have been very happy with Kennex for being a very comfortable hit.
Hope this helps.
Gil

hugogabriel
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Doug4,

I have 2 Ki15 PSE's, and I'm very happy with it. I came from Prince NXG Mid, and at first, I tried to get used to the power, what I found is that full poly at 62 lbs was perfect to me.

I'm a 3.5, and as flatball said, googling I found that description (hope this helps):

"Originally developed for WTA touring pros who are very strong baseliners, looking for a stiff, solid frame with lots of pop. Recomended for a strong 4.0 player and above."

Best Regards.

schenkelini
09-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Doug 4
I have used the 7g several years ago. Before I used the 5g. I now use the Ki15PSE and the Ki15. The Ki15PSE is more powerfull than the 7G. The swing weight of the Ki15PSE is about the same as the 7g.The K15 has a lower swing weight . The K15PSE is more powerfull than the K15. The K15 is more powerfull than the 7g.

the Ionic series PK racquets feel a little stiffer than the Kinetic series.

According to one website the K15PSE was designed for WTA players. But I would put it a tweener.
The 7G was more powerfull than the 5G. But I never hit with the Ki5.

Gil

I agree with this. I would say that based on your comments that you should try the 5g. It may be just what you are looking for.

Peter Szucs
09-13-2009, 02:30 AM
The handle of the Ki-15 PSE looks very short on the product photos... anyone with 2hbh can comment on this pls?

Stroke
09-13-2009, 05:16 AM
The handle on the 15PSE is a very small bit shorter that most sticks, but this can easily be customized with some overgrip for the 2 handed BH players. All you need to do is put the overgrip(tournagrip or whatever) farther up than the manufactured grip.

Steve Huff
09-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I played 1 season with the ki 15 PSE and my elbow was nearly shot. I went back to the 5. I've never hit with the 7, so I can't comment on it. My joints are really sensitive, so the 15 may not bother you, but it is stiff, and stiff feeling. It also took me a while to find the sweetspot. It's just not where you'd expect it. But, after finding it, I hit some of my best serves ever. You can really crank it up with this racket. The 5 has more touch around the net, but it doesn't have that pop some people need to put the volley away. The ki 5 has come a long way to address this problem as its upper hoop is stiffer. The ki 5 is one of the finest frames ever made in my opinion.

louis netman
09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
All very nice frames with the 15 feeling "shocky" even with the kinetic. I'm considering a switch to the KI5 as I hit with my old 5g smi today. Solid and sweet...but as Steve Huff mentioned, could use a bit more pop all around...

doug4
10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I bought the Ki 5 recently and had it strung with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 16 (stiffness rating is 204) at 56 lbs. Unfortunately it hurt my harm. It does seem to feel stiffer than its flex rating. I have seen a RDC rating for the KI 5 as either 61 or 63 depending on the source. It did not have too much power at 56 lbs, so I might be able to string it low enough where it stops hurting my arm, but where I still have enough control. At 56 lbs, the upper hoop did seem a little dead to me. Since I'm going to have to cut the strings because it's hurting my arm, I went ahead and stood on the strings to loosen them up. This did help my arm a fair amount, but I'm not sure yet if it will help enough. I have no idea what the tension is now, but I doubt if I can go any lower because control is borderline. I do wonder what the tension is now (I weigh about 170 lbs.). The consensus on this forum seems to be that the Pro 5G is more arm friendly than either the Ki 5 or the Pro 7G. But which is more arm friendly, the Ki 5 or the 7G? I have played with extended length rackets (27.25, 27.5) and don't mind the extra length. I thought the flex rating was the most important part of the arm friendliness equation, but apparently it doesn't tell the whole story.