PDA

View Full Version : fake 6.1 team, replacement grommet?

wylklr
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Long time lurker, 1st time poster:

I coach a high school girls tennis team and one of my players bought a kfactor 6.1 team (18x20) on the bay and low and behold it was a fake. She's a senior and is quite used to the racquet but now the grommet is trashed and needs replacing. My camera is out of commission otherwise I would post pics. The grommet piece in the throat is that of the regular 6.1 (8 holes instead of 6) . Anyone else ever tried to figure out what racquet this really is? Neither the 6.1 team nor the straight 6.1 grommet works.

Right now I have her hitting the 6.1 team of a buddy but she's a little superstitious about that fake so I'd like to get it back in action ASAP. (Tennis players superstitious?!)

Thanks in advance!

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
try teflon tubing? that's probably the best solution if you can't find replacement grommets for it.

PrinceMoron
09-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Long time lurker, 1st time poster:

I coach a high school girls tennis team and one of my players bought a kfactor 6.1 team (18x20) on the bay and low and behold it was a fake. She's a senior and is quite used to the racquet but now the grommet is trashed and needs replacing. My camera is out of commission otherwise I would post pics. The grommet piece in the throat is that of the regular 6.1 (8 holes instead of 6) . Anyone else ever tried to figure out what racquet this really is? Neither the 6.1 team nor the straight 6.1 grommet works.

Right now I have her hitting the 6.1 team of a buddy but she's a little superstitious about that fake so I'd like to get it back in action ASAP. (Tennis players superstitious?!)

Thanks in advance!My experience of fakes/clones/OEM is that they have a completely different weight balance swingweight you name it to the real racket. I have never had one that lasted more than 15 minutes on court without breaking. Seriously they are ALL garbage. Just take off the butt cap and look at the hollow frame. G*d knows what would happen if you played with a "Babolat" with the dirty great garden fence nails in the handle.

Who knows what chemicals and dyes they have used, especially in the grip.

The only use for a fake is for wrapping it around the net post when your opponent cheats you on a line call - it works a treat and they know you mean business when you smash the fake into 100 pieces. I like the look on their face when I mash what they think is $199 worth of racket.

Take the seller to court and get your money back.

Asking a junior to play with a fake racket - that is .... if I said what I think, you would get offended.

wylklr
09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the replies and opinions. I'll probably just let her play the year out with the genuine 6.1 team. I'm sure after a few hitting sessions she'll get used to it.

I didn't say anything about the fake when her dad first had me string it but I eventually felt like I should make him aware of it so he can do what he needed to do with "the bay" and the seller. By that point, she had played with it for a while and didn't want to make another racquet switch. It's funny how some of my boy players notice little differences in string tensions and balance but my girls would play with the same strings for multiple seasons if I didn't force them to get their racquets restrung!