PDA

View Full Version : The cheating pusher. Your stories?

mtommer
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
If anybody has ever played a pusher who "adds" to the score you'll find this familiar...

Today, after playing some doubles and Australian doubles (me on on the single side), after two of the people had left, the 3.5 (this is the level he plays at here for local league play) pusher guy wanted to play me at singles. Fine by me as normally I only have a wall to hit against. The actual set score was 6-3 me.
Here is how the set went: 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 4-2, 5-2, 5-3, 6-3.

Here is how he said it went: 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-4, 6-4.

Now, I guess I could have said something but I didn't. Honestly, I found it kind of humorous. Some of this has to do with why the score was 6-3 instead of 6-0. If I would have lost this set, I would have lost it, he wouldn't have won it. What do I mean by this? Simply put, for the entire set the guy had one point against me that he could call his own. For the first two games he didn't push but I could tee off on his shots so he switched after the second game. He got his point on the second game. It was a nice shot actually. Anyway, the three games the guy won had to do with my serving and my not getting the serves in (I still need a lot of work on a reliable second serve). One of the games I lost went to three deuces - all completely on my serves, no returns after the first deuce. Except for those three games the guy managed to get to 30 only once. At any rate, I lost those three games for whatever the reason and that's that. Fair enough.

Two of the guys buddies were playing next to us (they only wanted to play each other in singles). One was parked next to me and we were both leaving the court at the same time. He asked me with a laugh what the real set score was. The pusher guy was embellishing his story to look good (being clearly outclassed he "got four games"), something his friend says he is prone to doing. I told him how the set "went" and we both got a good chuckle.

So, what are some of your stories with similar circumstances?

TENNIS_IS_FUN
09-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Well i guess this is sorta funny....

Me and my dubs partner were playing against another team in a league match. My friend was about to serve and before doing so he called out the score '40-15.' One of the players from the other team then stopped us saying that the score was 30-30. He was CONFIDENT in it. We were just as confident that the score was 40-15. My partner argued that he had been calling the score on all the points so it would not be fair to argue it now. An argument pursued for a good 15 minutes which is quite a long time in a league match. We ended up winning the argument.

Now, flash forward 1 month later. We are playing the same exact team again, because we play each school 2 times in our league. My friend was serving and he called out the score again '40-15.' Then, the VERY SAME GUY who argued the score last time said again 'DUDE! THE SCORE IS 30-30 NOT 40-15.' My partner and I in disbelief remained silent for a good 5 seconds. Then, his doubles partner quietly walked over to him, tapped him on the shoulder and said 'Hey man they're right its 40-15.' OWNED. It's funny because we knew he wasn't deliberately trying to cheat he really thought the score was 30-30...it was fun seeing him realize that he was a stupid idiot incapable of counting.

max
09-11-2009, 07:01 AM
I played a young boy, high school guy, in a league game that he either didn't want to play or thought that he should automatically win. I was up, he stayed close, and then, after a time, he starts calling balls out. Even balls that were in and NOT touching the line at all.

I let this go, considering him immature. He continues. I challenge him. He still continues stealing points, even though I intentionally keep the ball away from the lines to make it impossible.

I start to do the same. After the second or third time, he gets really upset. I tell him I don't take ****. We continue and I run it out.

The lesson here is that a 17 year-old can usually act like an adult, but not all can do this consistently. Of course, the buried notion here is that the younger player deserves to beat an older player, and that an injustice is being done to the younger player when this doesn't happen.

comegetsome
09-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Yesterday, after working out for 3 hours at the gym, I was really tired, but I still wanted to play some tennis. So I decided to go to this local league play where I play tennis. Since my hip surgery, my tennis game hasn't been the same, so I'm chaning my game to have more consistency and movement. I saw some jerk (being loud and showing off) play some doubles and Australian doubles (him on on the single side), after two of the people had left, I wanted to play him at singles. The actual set score was 6-4 him.
Here is how the set went:0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-4, 6-4.

Here is how he said it went: . 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 4-2, 5-2, 5-3, 6-3.

Now, I guess I could have said something but I didn't. Honestly, I found it kind of humorous. Some of this has to do with why the score was 6-4 instead of 6-0.()_()_ -insert a bunch of match details-*()_(_().

His two guys buddies were playing next to us (they only wanted to play each other in singles). One was parked next to him and as they were both leaving the court at the same time. He asked me with a laugh what the real set score was. The jerk guy was embellishing his story to look good not knowing that I could i beaten him easily if not for the surgery. I told him how the set "went" and we both got a good chuckle.

Xisbum
09-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Yesterday, after working out for 3 hours at the gym, I was really tired, but I still wanted to play some tennis. So I decided to go to this local league play where I play tennis. Since my hip surgery, my tennis game hasn't been the same, so I'm chaning my game to have more consistency and movement. I saw some jerk (being loud and showing off) play some doubles and Australian doubles (him on on the single side), after two of the people had left, I wanted to play him at singles. The actual set score was 6-4 him.

Now, I guess I could have said something but I didn't. Honestly, I found it kind of humorous. Some of this has to do with why the score was 6-4 instead of 6-0.()_()_ -insert a bunch of match details-*()_(_().

His two guys buddies were playing next to us (they only wanted to play each other in singles). One was parked next to him and as they were both leaving the court at the same time. He asked me with a laugh what the real set score was. The jerk guy was embellishing his story to look good not knowing that I could i beaten him easily if not for the surgery. I told him how the set "went" and we both got a good chuckle.

Now that's wickedly funny. :)

wyutani
09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
i played pure net rushing against a pusher and lost. at least im proud of meself, my net game was 70 percent in.

mtommer
09-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Agreed, this is indeed pretty funny. I like how a guy in this story shows himself up for the liar he is! Oh where oh where did the missing games go, oh where oh where have they gggooonnnneeee! :D

David_Is_Right
09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
The lesson here is that a 17 year-old can usually act like an adult, but not all can do this consistently. Of course, the buried notion here is that the younger player deserves to beat an older player, and that an injustice is being done to the younger player when this doesn't happen.

Or perhaps you just came up against a cheater that day, and age was actually irrelevant.

ubermeyer
09-12-2009, 09:50 PM
you double fault that much??? wow

mtommer
09-13-2009, 01:01 PM
you double fault that much??? wow

Yup.

Couple of reasons why if you or anybody else cares to know (not excuses, just explaining).

1. I rarely play matches. I never have and currently don't play in any actual leagues or tournaments. I simply don't have a pressing need to develop a reliable second serve.

2. I very rarely practice second serves. I should, I admit. Part of this is because I feel I haven't gotten my first serve the way I like. I feel this is due to the fact that I don't feel completely comfortable with my serving technique from the get go. In other words I still have a lot to learn about serving technique before I even begin to worry about what I need to learn about serving strategy during game play or hitting more technically involved serves.

3. Because of two when I do play points I focus on hitting my serves (and all my shots actually) how I would like them to be instead of focusing on just getting them in. Many times I do get my serves in. On the games I lost because of my serving I also kept getting to deuce because of my serving. There were also a few games were I won in straight points, all on the serve. I'm streaky (But becoming less and less so every year. Early last year I probably would have lost the set and the guy could have pulled up a lawnchair and just sat there.)