PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected demo result

Rhinosaur
09-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Went by my local PGA Superstore and saw they had a demo program, so I grabbed two rackets and hit for about 90 minutes on a ball machine.

I tried out the Prince exo3 Rebel 95 (the Monfils) and the K-Six One Tour (the Fed).

The Prince was really nice, but felt a little spongy on impact. While it was a heavy racket, it had a low swingweight and I wasn't generating a lot of power. Plus...it's just kinda ugly. If I hit great with it I'd look past that, but since it wasn't awesome it was easy to pass on. Not the biggest Monfils fan, either.

So I tried the Fed. The 90 inches scared me a bit, also the heft. But I hit GREAT with it. But from what I've been reading, you have to possess a technically sound swing to be productive with this stick. I'm probably a 3.0 (3.5 on a good day).

In the heat, after an hour I was really dragging. I decided to try serving while a bit worn out. I was amazed by how effortless I was swinging and still hitting good serves. My serve is my strength (or as I call it, my crutch), so I was pleased to see I won't be losing anything if I decide to go with this racket.

I wasn't getting much elbow discomfort, either...which has become an issue for me.

I want to hit with it a bit more before deciding to buy, but I'm shocked that I demoed this racket on a whim and am now considering switching to it.

JRW
09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
You should definitely hit with it several more times, especially against other people, before you make the switch. IMO it's easy to hit well with a racquet when hitting against a ball machine but the true characteristics of a racquet come out when you play competitive matches against other people.

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
give it a week in case its just the honeymoon period.

Rhinosaur
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
You should definitely hit with it several more times, especially against other people, before you make the switch. IMO it's easy to hit well with a racquet when hitting against a ball machine but the true characteristics of a racquet come out when you play competitive matches against other people.

I agree. My current racket serves great, was great on a machine...but it is not very good on returning serves or at the net.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Those heavy rackets feel great initially but they're hard to keep serving with after an hour or so of playing.

LafayetteHitter
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Here is what I think you should do. Play with someone a bit above your level if you can. That is where any weaknesses will be exposed. You need to shoot for something that gives you an some headroom against a player a little better than you are.

bholloway
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
^

Thats a good point. I have tried using the K90 many times and when I'm just hitting or playing against a weaker opponents it feels great. I can always catch the ball out in front of me and really control the rallies. However when I play someone good and the ball is coming in hard with lots of spin, It can be very difficult to use the K90 because it isn't that forgiving of a racket.

markwillplay
09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
hit against people who are a bit better than you. That is what ran me off from that stick. Great stick...but you better be able to be on when you play with it all the time.

nikkhasnis
09-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I am a 3.0-3.5 myself. The K90 feels great to hit with initially. Its stable and hefty, so the feel is solid on contact with the tennis ball. Serving is also easier for the same reason.

But if I pick up one after couple of sets, it's very hard to hit with. I guess initially when I am fresh I find the sweet spot (or spots closer to the sweet spot) more often. Once I get tired, then the off hits increase and thats when these rackets become difficult (and hard on the hand) to hit with. Plus aball machine will not make you run around and hit the ball as much as an actual person will.

Also, the K90 demands a vey good technique. Bad shot making will definitely result in pain.

But that's just me. Everyone has different skill and strength level. Go with the rule that one should play with a racket as heavy as one can easily handle or is comfortable with for 2-3 hours of play.

All I do is remind myself that there's only one pro (that I know of) who plays with a K90, so it must not be an easy racket to play with.

Rhinosaur
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is what I think you should do. Play with someone a bit above your level if you can.

Shouldn't be a problem. Lol.

Strength: Serve, drop shots
Weakness: Return

Another one of my biggest weaknesses is hitting back moonballs with pace. I'm thinking a racket with more plowthrough would help me crush these balls a bit better.

I have no problem with my groundstrokes against players who hit well...I seem to have problem with pushers that hit it back with little pace.

akybo
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Went by my local PGA Superstore and saw they had a demo program, so I grabbed two rackets and hit for about 90 minutes on a ball machine.

I tried out the Prince exo3 Rebel 95 (the Monfils) and the K-Six One Tour (the Fed).

The Prince was really nice, but felt a little spongy on impact. While it was a heavy racket, it had a low swingweight and I wasn't generating a lot of power. Plus...it's just kinda ugly. If I hit great with it I'd look past that, but since it wasn't awesome it was easy to pass on. Not the biggest Monfils fan, either.

So I tried the Fed. The 90 inches scared me a bit, also the heft. But I hit GREAT with it. But from what I've been reading, you have to possess a technically sound swing to be productive with this stick. I'm probably a 3.0 (3.5 on a good day).

In the heat, after an hour I was really dragging. I decided to try serving while a bit worn out. I was amazed by how effortless I was swinging and still hitting good serves. My serve is my strength (or as I call it, my crutch), so I was pleased to see I won't be losing anything if I decide to go with this racket.

I wasn't getting much elbow discomfort, either...which has become an issue for me.

I want to hit with it a bit more before deciding to buy, but I'm shocked that I demoed this racket on a whim and am now considering switching to it.
What you felt is exactly what I felt first time hitting with the k90,efortless shots,best plowthrough racquet I've hit with.
I stayed with it even first I couldnt hit a decent onehand backhand without a really good preparation;I say to buy it but to be a keeper,this racquet will force you to have a better movement.

movdqa
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
You might give the KPS88 a try. No problem hitting back moonballs with pace with that stick. Way more power than the K90 - you just have to add enough topspin to keep it in the court.

One way to improve your game is to up your fitness level. Weights and running regularly can help there.

jigar
09-11-2009, 03:17 PM
If you think you are going to be a better player then go for K90. If you have limitation in play due to age, health and other issue don't buy it. It is a great frame. You will find it hard to generate page by yourself with slow balls unless you have really good footwork. It will get you on your serves as racquet has more swing weight. You have to swing through the ball on serves and ground strokes to avoid any injuries. If you are willinig to spend some time to get better then buy it or buy k 6.1 95.

crocon
09-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Heh Rhinosour we sound like similar players. 3.0 to 3.5 or so but serve a good bit better than that and consider it my crutch.

Rhinosaur
09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Heh Rhinosour we sound like similar players. 3.0 to 3.5 or so but serve a good bit better than that and consider it my crutch.

I've been able to find a couple of leagues to play in, but before that I really didn't have anybody to hit with, so I'd just serve and serve and serve.

I'll be warming up at my league, booming serves and players would mention, "Great serve...hope I'm not playing you!" Little do they know I have the groundstrokes of a 2.0 or 2.5.

Usually players can't handle my serve for half the match. But the smart ones start backing up to the fence, start hitting it back...then I show my true abilities :(