PDA

View Full Version : Ideal practice week for juniors age 14-18

papatenis
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
What would you consider an "ideal" practice week for juniors (14-18 yrs. old) that attend a traditional school?

Danstevens
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Personally, I love to practise before school but it's rare I get chance to do it (school starts early and not many of my hitting partners are early risers). Obviously, if I practise in the morning, it isn't for too long - about half an hour to an hour at most; I don't want to be too tired for school. Just a little bit of tennis before I go to school just sets me up nicely and helps me wake up a little bit.

As I said, it's rare I will practise before school and I don't believe it's too common with people in mainstream education who play tennis. After school, I will finish my homework, get something to eat and then head off to the tennis courts for some practise. It varies as to how long I will practise but me and my hitting partners will generally stay for about 3 hours. When I get back home, I will have dinner and spend the rest of the evening relaxing before going to bed. I will practise 6 or 7 days a week. Sunday is the day I spend most time on court - I'll probably clock up 5 or 6 hours of court time on Sunday alone. If there is a day I don't play, it will be Saturday because I also play badminton. My badminton club meets every Saturday morning so I don't always want to play tennis in the afternoons. That time off gives me chance to complete homework to make sure I'm up to date for when I go back to school after the weekend.

There is no ideal practise week for juniors because everyone is different. Different players want different things from the game. I'm rather lucky because my school starts early but also finishes early which gives me more time in the afternoons for tennis. You need to tailor your children's training (or your training) to suit them (you). Only you will know how they learn best and how much time they can put in to tennis without other things suffering.

Oh and if you're interested, I'm 15, I organise my own tennis schedule and live in the UK.

Mikey Fresh
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
What would you consider an "ideal" practice week for juniors (14-18 yrs. old) that attend a traditional school?

here is mine I'm 15 and it all depends on homework
Hitting than go home get ready for schoo
Than school
Than gym and lift
Than run to my country club 3 miles away
Than eat snack and call hitting partner
Than hit for 2-4 hrs
Than get coached if any of them time(they donate lessons cause my family is seeing hard times)
Than go home and do homework

ClarkC
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
here is mine I'm 15 and it all depends on homework
Hitting than go home get ready for schoo
Than school
Than gym and lift
Than run to my country club 3 miles away
Than eat snack and call hitting partner
Than hit for 2-4 hrs
Than get coached if any of them time(they donate lessons cause my family is seeing hard times)
Than go home and do homework

Then go back to school and learn the difference between than and then. :)

10isDad
09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
"Ideal" practice week? I would think being flown to Dubai to spend the week with Federer would be the most "ideal".

papatenis
09-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Reason for this "thread", is to see how my child compares with other kids training sessions during the week. Lets keep the comments within the OP.