PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight vs Weight and how to increase

Power Player
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I am liking my heavier Donnay OS, but the SW is still pretty light. The racquet weighs 12.1 oz bu the SW is 318. It got me thinking about how that is done.

So looking at my APDC, what is the best way to increase the Swing Weight to around 350? I'd like to have it 6 points headlight insetad of 5. Is this possible to do with lead tape? I have never leaded up a racquet, but I am guessing you have to add lead to the handle...is it better to wrap the handle or is there something you can put in the trap door?

lenderbender
09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Putting the majority of the lead tape at 12 would significantly raise the swing weight as opposed to at 3 and 9 for example.

Power Player
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
oh ok cool. So basically I need to lead 12 o clock and also the handle so I can keep the balance the same?

lenderbender
09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Pretty much I think...

Can't remember who said it but its about 3g of swingweight for every gram of lead you put at 12

Mazilla2219
09-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Check out the customizing calc in TW university. It'll give you a good base on how much to add and where to achieve the results you want. You can add lead to the hoop to increase swingweight but you'll also have to counter balance in the handle to keep the 6pt HL that you want. You can apply the lead tape underneath the grip or if you have to use alot of lead you can use the trap door method (assuming that your racquet has a trap door) to maintain the grip size while adding lead to the handle. The trap door method or something similar is also address by TW university. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
sounds like polarizing your racquet is the way to go.