PDA

View Full Version : Grip shapes

Polvorin
09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
When I started playing tennis, I noticed that the shape of the grip on Head rackets is much different than Wilsons. (more rectangular, less rounded) The grip shape made it very hard for me to switch brands.

How to the grip shapes of other racket manufacturers compare (Babolat, Prince, Fisher, Dunlop) to Head and Wilson grips?

Does anyone know of a good thread about this topic?

Mazilla2219
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
According to Vantage Tennis handle shape customizer here is how the grips shape up.
(more rectangular, less rounded ---> less rectangular more rounded)
Head --> Dunlop --> Wilson --> Prince

I have played with Head, Dunlop, Volkl, Babolat, Wilson and Prince grips. I would put the Volkl between Head and Dunlop, leaning more towards the head grip and the Babolat grip between the Wilson and Prince grip.

Polvorin
09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I once played with a Gamma racket, and liked the grip shape very much but not the racket. Anyone know which companies make a similar shaped grip to Gamma?

I really dislike Head rackets grip shape...I find them very difficult to volley with.

iscottius
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I once played with a Gamma racket, and liked the grip shape very much but not the racket. Anyone know which companies make a similar shaped grip to Gamma?

I really dislike Head rackets grip shape...I find them very difficult to volley with.

gamma is somewhere between dunlop and wilson

jigar
09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't like head for this reason only. It make it hard to switch the grip from FH 2 BH and volleys. I like Dunlop and Wilson better.

Supracool94
09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
The best thing to do if you want head racquet: is buy one and have the pallet changed to the shape you want. For example, I own three head racquets with wilson shaped grips.

El Diablo
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
One needs to remember that finding the grip shape that works best for you is entirely empirical. Look at different hands and you'll see that the proportions (ratio of finger length to palm length, ratio of the lengths of the individual phalanges of the fingers to each other) vary widely from one person to another. These proportions as well as how you hold the racquet for shots determines what grip shape works for you.

AAAA
09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Get the racquet you want to use in one size smaller and then build up the handle with tape or similar thin material to your preferred shape. That's what I do.