PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Aussies...

Shaolin
09-11-2009, 11:34 AM
My girlfriend and I are considering a trip to the AO in January.....However, she is really freaked out by spiders and may not go since her friend told her about the large/hairy/super fast "Huntsman" spiders (these things: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qP-1yjY3IyM/R1rf_U_WKeI/AAAAAAAAAos/HBVf66wJXwo/s320/spider-on-wall.jpg) that are supposedly everywhere (going in your covers at night, popping out of car sun visors and causing auto accidents, etc.). Cant say I would be too thrilled with them hanging around either.

Anyway, do you know what the deal is with these creatures, are they all over the place or is it nothing to worry about. I dont want to fly all the way there from the US and have her wanting to turn right around and go home the next day.

Thanks...

nfor304
09-12-2009, 08:21 PM
They're not really everywhere.... but I get them sometimes in my house in suburban Sydney (as in 5-6 a year). They're not at all dangerous though, just scary looking because they're big and hairy. They aren't poisonous and their bites don't hurt much either, and they aren't aggressive and usually scuttle away if you go anywhere near them.

And yes I have had one crawl on my face in the middle of the night and I have had one crawl across my windscreen while driving.

Really I doubt you would see any at all if you were in the city, since they mainly hang around well vegetated areas where there's lots of beetles and other little insects that they eat.

Also, I will say I've been on trips to the Australian Open 6 times and have traveled to Melbourne for work about a dozen times and I've never once seen a huntsman anywhere on those trips, and I put that down to the fact that I've always stayed at Hotels in the city and haven't really been to the outskirts of Melbourne.

If you see one of these anywhere on the other hand, especially if its rearing its fangs,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

run away. Because their bite will kill you and they're very aggressive.

But they're not really native to Melbourne, and again I very much doubt you will see one in the city or anywhere in the vicinity of the Australian Open.

:-)

120mphBodyServe
09-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Just carry insect spray with you AT ALL TIMES, and you should be ok.

Shaolin
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for your info nfor304, Ill show your post to my gf, maybe she will feel better about going :)

Maybe we can try the insect spray idea too 120, but its the ones you cant see shes worried about!

adams_1
09-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Just carry insect spray with you AT ALL TIMES, and you should be ok.

No. You shouldn't kill a huntsman, they're about as harmless as it gets. They're also great fly and mozzie catchers.

RFRF
09-15-2009, 06:22 AM
No. You shouldn't kill a huntsman, they're about as harmless as it gets. They're also great fly and mozzie catchers.

YES THEY ARE TOTALY HARMLESS, you will not see any spider staying in a melb hotel during the open, i live here its not the outback its a huge city. come you will love it espesially during the 2 weeks of the open melbournes a buzz, even i stay in a hotel during the open every year and i live here.